Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,976 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in Steiner Ranch and love a lot of things about it...community pool, parks, trails, schools, family-friendly, organized activities, etc. We'd like to buy a larger home but we can't seem to find one that we like in Steiner, so I'm expanding my options and looking in the Lake Travis ISD. Any recommendations on kid-friendly neighborhoods that have community parks, pools, trails? Nice views of the hill country would be a plus. Price range in the mid-$500's. We're not really into the golf course, country club-type of setting...just nice homes, hill country views, and down-to-earth neighbors, and elementary school-aged kids.

Also, any input on Lake Travis middle/high schools vs. the Leander schools near Steiner Ranch? Is there more wealth or drugs or anything else I should know about...other than they're both exemplary-rated school districts? Any major difference in what is offered academically?

Thanks!!

Last edited by austintx89; 04-11-2011 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
I think Lakeway proper, Falconhead West, Lakepointe, and the Uplands are all worth looking into. The Uplands may be above your budget - but I haven't looked at prices there in some time.

Lots of families with kids in all of those neighborhoods. A few comments on them:

Lakeway - has changed a lot over the last twenty years. Yes it has golf but I don't think it has a golf resort vibe. Lakeway swim center is very nice. VERY controlled neighborhood though.

Lakepointe - very family oriented. Many kids walk to the elementary school. Community swim center and park. More upscale further back.

Falconhead West - newest, modern construction, a bit too "clean" for me, but very nice. No community pool.

Uplands - gated, larger lots, larger homes. Quiet and many families there. I think their kids use the Lakepointe pool.

As for schools, I think they are ALL good, elementary through the high school. I don't think they are significantly different from Leander schools.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 PM

59 posts, read 218,666 times
There is a new community off Hamilton Pool Rd that is in the Lake Travis School district called Rocky Creek. It may be a bit farther out, but the hill country views are outstanding. Things have really been moving there and I know alot of lots have sold in the past few months. If you are not interested in building there are a few spec homes that have been built. Builders in Rocky Creek are Highland Homes and Drees.

They will be building a community pool this summer and there will be trails. I am not sure about children, but I assume there would be several families with children there. The home with lot prices vary between 300s-500s. Some lots have premium costs; others with less views don't.

You may want to check it out if you are looking for a new community with beautiful views.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,570 times
I too am looking for a kid friendly neighborhood with the criteria similar to what you had listed.Were you able to find one such neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin