U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 AM

34 posts, read 197,504 times

Advertisements

Sadly, our friends were caring for a foster dog that recently ran away and was killed by an unknown animal right outside our complex. When I was walking my dog last night, I heard an odd screeching noise that immediately put my dog on alert and got the hair on her back standing straight up. I had thought it sounded like a car coming to a screeching halt, but I didn't actually hear a car, and my dog never reacts like that to screeching cars. About a minute later it occurred again, closer in proximity and she started growling. I didn't see anything, but knowing that our friends' dog was killed just outside the complex by an animal, I'm now a little concerned about taking her out at night without some form of protection (mace, etc.).

That said, what kind of predatory, nocturnal animals would we have to potentially worry about in the north Austin area? I'm going to be working a night shift for a while, which means my wife will be taking my dog out for walks at night alone.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 AM

23 posts, read 106,627 times
Coyotes for sure can and do kill dogs. Mountain lions can too but in general they tend to avoid dogs and people. Plus they are not as common.

Not sure what the screaching noise was, but It was probably not something that would get your dog. How big is your dog?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:40 AM

20,964 posts, read 42,472,483 times
Okay, that's odd. Just off the top of my head, I'd think raccoon (depending on the size of the dog), coyote, and that's about it as far as predatory animals that could take on a dog. Except, of course, for another dog.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:03 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,571,138 times
I would think it would have been a coyote but they don't screech. I would agree with THL, it could be a raccoon. Mountian lions are not common but what about bobcats? We have those in our area and we are in central TX.

Well, instead of mace you could carry a gun like gov Perry. In all seriousness, we carry a cane when we go walking that has a heavy hilt made out of metal...just in case. It may look strange but I don't care.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:43 AM

14,811 posts, read 32,942,199 times
Watch out for the chupacabra .

Seriously, where are you in Austin? If it is urban at all, the only predators you will run across are raccoons and coyotes. Neither are going to be a threat to a human unless you corner them - coyotes theoretically could be, but they are way too smart for that. A coyote pack will sometimes take down a domestic dog, usually as a result of the dog being a) the size of a small scooby snack or b) a larger dog chasing/hunting coyotes.

If the area is rural or backs up to a significant greenbelt that allows animals to travel many miles unseen, you could have a mountain lion, but that is very, very rare and they are also very skittish around humans.

The screeching sound could be a rabbit, which make horrible noises when coyotes get them.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:30 PM

433 posts, read 1,582,348 times
Once, I was observing a huge possum in our backyard. I guess I got too close because it turned towards me and let out a pretty intimidating 'hissing' sound....boy, I got the heck outta there, quick.

I probably would have freaked-out big-time if I heard that sound coming from some bushes/brush and did not see what it was.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:47 PM

8,307 posts, read 37,529,940 times
Screeching tires... Pig squealing.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,233,788 times
I was am going to vote pig since feral hogs are everywhere and very mean.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 PM

34 posts, read 197,504 times
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. My dog is roughly 45 pounds, cattle dog mix. She's a tough cookie but I would never want her to get into a fight. I'd be the first one to throw myself between my dog and an attacking animal, I care that much. But I wouldn't want my wife doing that at all.

And as far as Chupacabra goes, LOL! As I was walking back to the apartmentI was actualy l thinking that and laughing.

Also: Surprised to hear we have mountain lions in the Austin area. And feral hogs tioo? Interesting

Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 PM

171 posts, read 394,765 times
Feral hogs are all over Texas. Good eating, and fun hunting, but they eat anything, and are mean as they are ugly.

I know someone who saw a mountain lion near the intersection of 360 and Mopac (north side); it was late, and she saw it out her window, slinking down a creek bed.

Depending on the size of the dog that was killed, it could have been anything. A raccoon can kill a dog (almost always as a result of the dog attacking it), as can a bobcat. It really depends on the size and condition of the dog.

Where is your complex located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin