Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:04 AM

242 posts, read 493,765 times

Advertisements

I will be in Austin starting on Saturday for a few days to check out a few neighborhoods. If we do move, it will not be until late summer. In other words, we are more interested in discovering the right neighborhood, and not a specific apartment. Of course, if we like a certain apartment complex, we might even agree on a different apartment at a later point without looking.

Will using an apartment locater be a waste of time for them since we are not actually moving soon? Do not want to lie to someone about the timeframe of our move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:07 PM

58 posts, read 135,479 times
I would use this time to explore the neighborhoods/apartment complexes and, then about 6 - 8 weeks prior to moving, contact the locator.

You definitely want to use one here as they can negotiate a better deal for you.

Good luck!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milytaylor View Post
I would use this time to explore the neighborhoods/apartment complexes and, then about 6 - 8 weeks prior to moving, contact the locator.

You definitely want to use one here as they can negotiate a better deal for you.

Good luck!
Unfortunately, we are traveling to Austin to see if it is a suitable city for us. If we cannot see typical apartments, we might eliminate it as a choice.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:34 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,775,146 times
A good locator is not going to willingly pass up showing you different apartments just because you'll be moving in several months rather than several weeks. If they do a good job then you'll probably use them if/when you decide to move to Austin.

I used a locator service with an impeccable Yelp reputation, and when I first was in Austin it was 2+ months before we planned on moving, and he knew that I had no intention to make a commitment- just wanted to get a lay of the land. It went well and it wasn't weird or a pressure situation.

If you PM me I can give you the name of the service and the number for the guy I used. He and the team know all of Austin VERY well, which was super helpful.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
If you PM me I can give you the name of the service and the number for the guy I used. He and the team know all of Austin VERY well, which was super helpful.
The TOS says all real estate recommendations should be shared by Direct Message. Quoted above is an example of the right way to share apartment locator recommendations at City-Data.

It is OK to post in the thread that you've sent a recommendation by DM. That will help keep the thread on the front page so that other members who have recommendations will see it.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:08 PM

58 posts, read 135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
I will be in Austin starting on Saturday for a few days to check out a few neighborhoods. If we do move, it will not be until late summer. In other words, we are more interested in discovering the right neighborhood, and not a specific apartment. Of course, if we like a certain apartment complex, we might even agree on a different apartment at a later point without looking.

Quote:
Unfortunately, we are traveling to Austin to see if it is a suitable city for us. If we cannot see typical apartments, we might eliminate it as a choice.
Sorry - your original posting made it sound like you weren't looking at apartments.

If you are looking at specific apartments, use the locators that are rated highly on yelp.

If you are just looking at neighborhoods, then you can do that without a locator.

Or you can do both, spend a day or so looking at neighborhoods, then spend a day with the locator to view apartments in the neighborhoods that you like.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Good luck with your search and have fun on your visit!

Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I do not need to look at apartments, but my wife is adamant about doing so. I contacted one apartment locater, and they said there is no reason to look now since my move date is too far in advance.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,983 times
I have to disagree with your locator. Without someone well versed in the neighborhoods or lay of the land, your gonna be running around with your head cut off.
Find a locator that is open to working with you. They will appreciate the business later when you do make the move and hopefully use them.
I can't imagine coming to a city to see if I like it and determine where I want to be without SOME type of guidance.
Moving is tough. Searching is tough. Good luck and hopefully we will see you later this year!

Old 04-21-2011, 10:09 AM

Unfortunately we are arriving on Saturday, so we do not have time to set something up. We are then traveling to California where we have appointments set up. The two places I spoke to in Austin were not helpful.

We are deciding between the two cities and so far Austin is not looking good.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:05 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,583,288 times
Quote:
Unfortunately we are arriving on Saturday, so we do not have time to set something up. We are then traveling to California where we have appointments set up. The two places I spoke to in Austin were not helpful.

We are deciding between the two cities and so far Austin is not looking good.
Then maybe Austin isn't the best fit for you? I've lived in both places and things are done very differently in California than they are here. It's not that one is better or worse, but just different. If the way they do things there is more your style, perhaps you would be happier living there. Austin is very laid back.

I can kind of see both sides. Usually people use apartment locaters when they are looking to imminently lease an apartment. This is their job, so they invest those hours driving around with you, showing you different places. You don't pay a thing. I would guess a lot of the time if they show someone around 4 months before they plan to really rent, that person gets the complex they want in mind, then just calls them directly when they're ready to rent, rather than looking the locater back up, so they lose their commission. Or, it's possible they have lots of people interested right now and they need to spend the time on someone who is actually ready to rent.

Maybe you and your wife could drive around the neighborhoods you're interested and just look for apartments as you go. Much of the time if you walk onto the premises, they'll be willing to give you a tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin