Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 9,547 times

Advertisements

I feel yah. I've suggested to my husband that we should get a dash cam and record all these incidents if for only our own amusement. We don't have a long commute and even still we see at least 4 or 5 cases of road rage or just plain driver-stupidity. Now we drive with the mindset- "Let's try not to get hit by other people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
My job location changed forcing me into a 60 mile round trip commute and let me tell you, it's just plain ugly. I remember when I first moved to Texas in 1977 how amazed I was at the friendliness of drivers - and I moved to Houston! It has to be a combination of way too many people for the road infrastructure combined with lots of driving habits from lots of different places. You don't even see the Drive Friendly signs any more. I think the motto is dead, in Austin anyway.

It's just a shame that people collectively refuse to acknowledge that if everyone did their part to drive safely, efficently and friendly, we would all be better off. Basic rules - slower traffic keep right, use your blinker, obey the speed limit (or go with the flow), anticipate your turns and get in the correct lane ahead of time, let people merge, merging people speed up to the flow of traffic, and just plain pay attention! Why is this so hard?

Old 04-22-2011, 11:55 AM

171 posts, read 422,739 times
There are a lot of factors at work, mostly immigrants from out of town, state, or nation (and the children of all three). Having gone to college in San Antonio, and made numerous trips across the border, I'd have to include the drivers from our southern border. Not a popular opinion, but still...

Old 04-22-2011, 01:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
"slower traffic keep right "

Being Devil's advocate here, but I'm going to add, "How about faster traffic staying in the left lane instead of tailgating people in the right lane who are in the right lane because they know they are driving slower". Or, my newest pet peeve, when driving in a school zone and it is still before 9am end time for the 20mph speed limit, keep from tailgating and honking because you want to go faster than 20. Even if no cop is visible, kids are still walking to school and crossing the street...cool your jets for 30 more seconds until you are no longer in a school zone!!

Moonlady...I'm not venting at you! This is just something I've been coming across lately in my neck of the woods.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:23 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
"mostly immigrants from out of town, state, or nation ("

I had a very harrowing cab ride in Dallas a number of years back. Asian cabby who barely spoke English (I seriously doubt he could even read the roadsigns)....He was going to enter the freeway and stopped on the on ramp! This was not one of those on ramps with a stop/yield light or a stop or yield sign either. I just knew we were about to die but luckily noone was right behind us.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:42 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times
Quote:
How about faster traffic staying in the left lane instead of tailgating people in the right lane who are in the right lane because they know they are driving slower"
It doesn't seem to matter how fast you drive; these days there is always someone behind you wanting to go faster no matter what lane you are in.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:47 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times
Could we PLEASE not turn this into a thread about illegal immigration?!

Besides, I think the reason for the lack of driver courtesy has more to do with Austin's streets becoming increasingly crowded as a result of the explosive population growth of the last 20 years.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:02 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Could we PLEASE not turn this into a thread about illegal immigration?!

Besides, I think the reason for the lack of driver courtesy has more to do with Austin's streets becoming increasingly crowded as a result of the explosive population growth of the last 20 years.
No one said anything about ILLEGAL immigrants. Different ways of driving are acceptable in different countries. If you have seen that show where they took the Ice Road truckers and dropped them in India you've seen that they have a way crazier way of driving than we do in America. Now, if you take a large number of people used to driving that way and drop them in an area here there is going to be a big clash of driving styles.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:24 PM

156 posts, read 300,229 times
I think what you are experiencing is universal to wherever one lives. Its a me first society today vs what it was like years ago.

And before you blame all the issue on out of staters, there have been a lot of Texans (still running TX plates since this was not their home state) in the DC/VA area the last 10 years (8 years for obvious reasons) and they don't exactly set a good example. if I were to make assumptions on what I see daily I would say Texas drivers are worse than VA drivers. But I know what I see here is a small sampling of Texans so I won't assume you all are like that.

Its not where someone is from, it is their common sense and approach to others.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:04 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
"slower traffic keep right "

Being Devil's advocate here, but I'm going to add, "How about faster traffic staying in the left lane instead of tailgating people in the right lane who are in the right lane because they know they are driving slower". Or, my newest pet peeve, when driving in a school zone and it is still before 9am end time for the 20mph speed limit, keep from tailgating and honking because you want to go faster than 20. Even if no cop is visible, kids are still walking to school and crossing the street...cool your jets for 30 more seconds until you are no longer in a school zone!!

Moonlady...I'm not venting at you! This is just something I've been coming across lately in my neck of the woods.
Loves roses you have a valid point. As I said - go the speed limit. I drive 360 and there is nothing more irritating than someone tailgating me in the right lane. If you want to go faster move over and if traffic in the left is moving at the speed limit, just go with the flow. Besides, I almost always end up at the light at the same time. Fortunately I haven't had anyone honk at me for going too slow for their taste. That's just plain rude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin