Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:53 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times

Advertisements

Problem with 290 is the sharp change in speeds (sometimes from 70 to 35) in the matter of a few miles. There are sections like that on 71, but the speed change is from 70 to 55. The reason why is 290 goes through several downtown sections, and the part of 71 that goes through downtown sections is in Bastrop, which is an elevated freeway.

Once they complete the Manor Expressway, perhaps 290 will be better? That remains to be seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 11:21 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
THe biggest problem with taking 290 to West Houston (where the OP is going) is that once you are in Houston, you'll still be another 40 minutes from where you need to be. 71 to I-10 puts you right there and will be much faster.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Update...just got back from Houston around 7 this evening. We took 71 to I10 both ways and utilized the 130 Toll on both legs. 71 was smooth sailing with a bakery stop going and returning . Saw some petrol north of $4 along the way and at 'key' interchanges along the main drags in west Houston. The Katy Freeway was moving smartly both days with a bit of congestion heading out today(Sat). No problem running the speed limit and then some... most folks were +5mph as traffic allowed. Felt like we were back in Atlanta with the occasional 80mph+ vehicle passing us.

Good news...there are at least a half-dozen 'self storage' places within spitting distance of our cousin's former home.

Bad news....we NEEDED a storage unit after donating a truck-load of stuff, after sending a moving van loaded with consignment stuff and throwing away more stuff than we could shake a stick at over the two days. This was in addition to the POD that was completely full and ready to ship to his new home.

This is the second relative that we have 'de-cluttered' in the past year. We're not talking about a small amount of things, collectibles, furniture, etc...I'm talking about truck loads of STUFF!!! Man, am I tired!

FOLKS...have a garage sale next week! Donate stuff TOMORROW! Don't accumulate stuff for the sake of HAVING!(guilty) I would NOT want my family to deal with all the STUFF! I'm going to attack our garage tomorrow!!! Time for some rest! Adios
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: