Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:59 PM

66 posts, read 202,554 times

Advertisements

Anybody know what it costs to build a pool in Austin these days? I guess medium-sized.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
About 10 years ago, my nephew built an average size negative edge pool with a spa on a steep hillside behind his house in Jonestown.

It cost him $45,000.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:25 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,914,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_online View Post
Anybody know what it costs to build a pool in Austin these days? I guess medium-sized.

Thanks!

You should also consider the cost of upkeep and heat. It's not cheap.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:43 PM

66 posts, read 202,554 times
Thanks, y'all. Lately I am not receiving notifications on threads I originated.

I'd have to bear the cost of upkeep whether I bought a house that already had a pool or built my own. I'd like a pool, and there aren't many houses on the market in S Austin.

ScoPro, sounds like that hillside plus the spa may have made it more expensive; on the other hand that was 10 years ago - I had hear the cost had gone up a lot over the years but with the real estate and construction business being down in Austin I wondered if the cost is not quite as bad as it has been.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,043 times
It depends how for you can go down before hitting rock, I know somebody who built one in Avery Ranch area few years ago for around $45K. In ground pool but elevated 2-3' in some areas based on slope of yard.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
We priced pools, and we also spoke with our neighbors about theirs. For a decent, averaged sized pool with a hot tub and surrounding patio would be about 40K. That's pretty much the average our neighbors paid and the average price we were quoted.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:09 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
Before selecting a pool builder, check out their reviews on Yelp.com

Old 05-02-2011, 07:37 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,062 times
I don't think there is a downturn in Austin. It's hard as hell to find a decent contractor.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:41 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
I don't think there is a downturn in Austin. It's hard as hell to find a decent contractor.
Dell had a good bonus multiplier. Lots of Dellites with money to spend on home improvements. I'm not one of them, just know a few dozen. Can't swing a dead cat in Austin without hitting someone who works for Dell.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
You will probably do better starting off-season -- October-February. Generally, the business slows down in those months and builders are more likely to offer specials to stay busier. Regardless, starting now might mean you're well into Fall before it's complete.

I started mine in early February 5-6 years ago and ended up finishing the first week of June. It wasn't that it took so long to build, but rather, I changed design elements a few times and permitting was complicated. Then, by the time I was ready to start digging, it was high season and crews were hard to come by.

Ask around your neighborhood for recommendations. Anyone who has built a pool has learned some things along the way. My tips:

1. Build-in a spa for true year-round enjoyment. 101-degree spa on a 40-degree night is the best. The spa justifies having a heater. I've heated the main pool only a couple of times in years (other than a slight warm-up for comfort in the Spring).

2. Go in with your eyes open. Your pool may return only 50% or less of its cost in increased value to your home.Buy it to enjoy and only if you plan to stay there for awhile. Otherwise, you might take a bath in it.

3. Build about twice as much patio as you think you need.

4. Learn about regulating your water chemistry with household bleach. Once you obtain true equilibrium, it's a snap. I mix in pucks from time-to-time to stabilize the water, but eventually, using pucks will lock up your water. I don't trust the sanitation abilities of salt water generators in Texas heat. Many swear by them, but I like to run a higher chlorine level than any salt water pool I've seen with my elevated CYA level, which I maintain to counter the Texas sun.

My experience was 95% great (Houston-area builder) but I've heard horror stories. Do your homework and enjoy. Having a pool is completely worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin