Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 09:27 AM

242 posts, read 493,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinmonkey View Post
Man, you Californians are never going to stop until you turn Austin into one of your West coast cities. Just admit that this is your secret plan.
Trader Joe's is not even that good, especially if you cook. If you are a college student that relies on microwaved food, then TJ is awesome. If not, their meat and produce selection is very limited. Prices are great, but nothing everything is a good value. Their cheeses are not that great.

TJ is nice to have around, but it is far from essential. It is better than In-n-Out burger though. Now that place is really over-rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:03 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
Default Missing HEB

I moved from Austin to Albuquerque last month. I like the Trader Joe's here-- it reminds me of Sprouts. The "three buck Chuck" wine is a great deal too.

I have to say I miss HEB. I like Whole Foods, et al, but I can't afford to shop there for everything. Here they have Smith's, a Kroger- like store, and Albertson's, which we had in Dallas as well. The prices for produce, meat, everything are much higher than at HEB.

Having moved from Plano, where we had a wonderful Central Market but no HEB, I came to really appreciate the HEBs in Austin--even the one at Parmer and Mopac, which I referred to as "The bad HEB."

Old 09-22-2011, 09:08 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Man, you Californians are never going to stop until you turn Austin into one of your West coast cities. Just admit that this is your secret plan.
I moved from California (was a Texan 35 years ago.) Here's my viewpoint. I liked Trader Joe's. I shopped there often when I lived in CA. I did miss it for a while, but not really any more. I have tried to adapt to my new setting. Would I shop at TJ's if it came here? Yes, but it isn't that important to me. I have no desire to change TX to CA, but I will adapt to whatever changes happen. It is just a store, not a lifestyle.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 PM

515 posts, read 1,397,115 times
Quote:
Trader Joe's is NOT a California thing. It has stores in 28 states.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:35 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
TJ's is nice, I'm not trying to turn Austin into anything. No secret plan, don't be paranoid. We had them in Seattle too, not just California.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:22 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,535,543 times
For those of you who have never been to one, here's a review on a smattering of very different products TJ's offers. I personally love it and don't miss CM at all now!!! Plus it's cheap AND healthy!

The Best and Worst Products at Trader Joe's | The Daily Meal

Old 09-24-2011, 10:59 AM

959 posts, read 4,493,573 times
I'd love something up here in the Cedar Park/Leander area

Old 04-01-2012, 02:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Default Trader Joe’s confirms two Austin-area locations

Quote:

Austin Chronicle retail writer David Kaplan reports:

After months of rumors and the announcement of Trader Joe’s locations in Dallas and Houston, the grocer has made it official. The company will open two locations in Austin — one is planned for the site currently occupied by Waterloo Records, with a second location opening in Avery Ranch this fall.
The full article link.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:12 PM

100 posts, read 258,440 times
So right across the street from Whole Foods? And no more Waterloo?

I heart TJ's, and since I live a few blocks behind Waterloo, it'd be convenient, but traffic's already a nightmare at the 5th/6th and Lamar intersections.

Also, no more Waterloo?

There is not gonna be enough parking for the demand it'll have. There are SO many other places they could open!!!! Like I've said before, knock down one of those hideous car repair/tire stores that line Lamar south of the lake.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Belated news, at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin