Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:41 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times

Advertisements

There's a new development being constructed near 620 & 2222 that has space allocated for "specialty grocery." Please, please, please let them move in there. It's close to Lakeway, Steiner Ranch, and River Place - all areas populated by health-conscious people with money. Seems like a perfect fit. And, I'll admit, I just want it close to me.

Development link:

The Trails at 620
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yay! Another chain coming to town! We're so lucky! We can be more and more just like somewhere else! Woo hoo!

Sorry, the whole Trader Joe cult makes me giggle.
I hate when people automatically crucify all chains. You know Whole Foods is a chain too, but people here seem to love them. Guess all chains are bad unless they are ones you (collective you) think they are OK.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Actually, I heard they were locating in Hutto.

Oh wait...I'm not sure we passed the "with money and are health conscious". Now, where was that distribution center where I could pick up my chunka cheese and a pounda butter? Info please.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 05-03-2011 at 10:56 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 10:50 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I hate when people automatically crucify all chains. You know Whole Foods is a chain too, but people here seem to love them. Guess all chains are bad unless they are ones you (collective you) think they are OK.
WHOLE FOODS also began here as an independent grocery store (from very humble beginnings) 25+ years ago in Austin. Kind of a big difference!

The Texas beef against Trader Joe's is that ex-Californians have been screaming for it for years (they'd be a small-scale competitor with WF)..and Texans typically hate anything associated with California. This will only have the CAs screaming even more for their friends to move to Austin and try and create California 2.0 - constantly complaining about it, too!

Old 05-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
WHOLE FOODS also began here as an independent grocery store (from very humble beginnings) 25+ years ago in Austin. Kind of a big difference!

The Texas beef against Trader Joe's is that ex-Californians have been screaming for it for years (they'd be a small-scale competitor with WF)..and Texans typically hate anything associated with California. This will only have the CAs screaming even more for their friends to move to Austin and try and create California 2.0 - constantly complaining about it, too!
Just because it started here, doesn't make it less of a chain. And for what it's worth, Wal-Mart stated as an independent store as well.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:58 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Just because it started here, doesn't make it less of a chain. And for what it's worth, Wal-Mart stated as an independent store as well.

Blasphemy!

Old 05-03-2011, 11:03 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
I disagree. Texans (especially in Austin) embrace many things associated with California -- from long ago the indie music scene, health food craze, fitness craze, auto culture, etc all made it here from CA. More recently things like the tech industry, psuedo-mediterranean architecture, movie industry, alternative energy, etc. There are many things to dislike that have made their way over, but let's make no mistake... plenty of the stuff we embrace here is non-Texan in origin. Lots of it was from CA...

Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Whole Foods was great when it started. It was when it went big grocery chain that it went downhill fast (stopped listening to its market base) and I haven't shopped there on donkeys years as a result.

On the other hand, I DO shop at Central Market. And HEB. But I certainly wouldn't move to California or any other state and weep and moan and long for either one of them.

Anyway, wasn't meant to be terribly serious, just that the whole Trader Joe cult thing, as I said, makes me giggle. Much like the Whole Foods cult thing does, in fact.

It's a grocery store, folks, not the second coming.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:40 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times
I'm betting Bee Cave, Steiner or maybe Sunset Valley (but that area is so congested already).

Old 05-03-2011, 11:44 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
It's really not just another grocery store. I don't know of anything currently in Austin that's comparable.
i live in california right now. i've been there a few times... don't see what the hype is about.

btw, the article doesn't say it's coming to austin. it just says they're considering opening up in texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin