Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 03:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
It costs me $475/mo to own and operate two cars at current gas prices.

My mortgage with PITI is <$800/mo so add in my car expenses that are greater than necessary because of my hobby that makes it about $1250 a month. What will it cost to rent a 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 car garage house in one of the hip, walkable areas?

To make it more fair, the houses in my neighborhood are renting for about $1250/month. So, add in 475 and we are at $1725. Is that more than a 3/2/2 in a hip, walkable area?
You are not comparing apples to apples, this thread is about how it is possible to get buy without a car. Its unreasonable to insist that you need to include a 2 car garage when you don't intend to own any automobiles. As far as that goes you probably don't really need 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms either. I grew up in a family with 7 kids, one bath room and no garage. The OP sounds like a single guy. He is certainly not looking for a 3/2/2.

If you really want to compare apples and apples you should include the higher utility costs you have to pay for a 3/2/2 in the suburbs. And I expect that you are not being honest about the actual total lifetime cost of your automobiles, including insurance, repairs, replacement parts.

The point of this discussion thread again is, is it is possible to get around without a car. YES!

Looking at the AMLI Apartments downtown near Second & Lavaca, you can rent a 2/2 unit for $1,600/month, possibly less if you don't need the parking space, it comes with an exercise room and community pool. Within walking distance of whole foods as well as all the entertainment and dining anyone could want. If the original poster is single or married with no kids they could get by with a 1/1 and be perfectly comfortable. There are even less expensive examples near SoCo or Barton Springs Road. I easily found several just south of the river, close to SoCo where you can rent a 1 bedroom for $675 or a 2 bedroom for $995. Pretty attractive when compared to your $1725 example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 03:30 PM

19 posts, read 27,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
You are not comparing apples to apples, this thread is about how it is possible to get buy without a car. Its unreasonable to insist that you need to include a 2 car garage when you don't intend to own any automobiles. As far as that goes you probably don't really need 3 bedrooms and two bathrooms either. I grew up in a family with 7 kids, one bath room and no garage. The OP sounds like a single guy. He is certainly not looking for a 3/2/2.

If you really want to compare apples and apples you should include the higher utility costs you have to pay for a 3/2/2 in the suburbs. And I expect that you are not being honest about the actual total lifetime cost of your automobiles, including insurance, repairs, replacement parts.

The point of this discussion thread again is, is it is possible to get around without a car. YES!

Looking at the AMLI Apartments downtown near Second & Lavaca, you can rent a 2/2 unit for $1,600/month, possibly less if you don't need the parking space, it comes with an exercise room and community pool. Within walking distance of whole foods as well as all the entertainment and dining anyone could want. If the original poster is single or married with no kids they could get by with a 1/1 and be perfectly comfortable. There are even less expensive examples near SoCo or Barton Springs Road. I easily found several just south of the river, close to SoCo where you can rent a 1 bedroom for $675 or a 2 bedroom for $995. Pretty attractive when compared to your $1725 example.

Good call! Yeah I'm single, 29 year old male. Which is one of the things that make Austin appealing to me. I want to live near the nightlife and all the action. So I have zero interest in living in area with families and stuff. I would be happy with a studio apartment (Maybe a 2br if I can find a roommate) just so it is safe. I'd like to be near nature trails so I can go for runs/biking etc. But not a deciding factor. Of course walking distance to most things.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:01 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,226 times
Quote:

You don't understand what "Apples to Apples" means, do you? It means comparing like things. If I am giving prices for a given home in one area I want to compare the prices to the same type of home in another area. If you want to compare a one bedroom apartment we should be using the price for a one bedroom in the suburbs instead of my $1725 for a house.

You are right that owning a car brings certain expenses but not owning a car brings other expenses such as the added costs of living closer in, taxis, car rentals, buses, trains. Then you also have the logistics stresses of "I have to get from Austin to Waco without a car". It's not like you are totally eliminating all these expenses by living in a walkable area, you are just moving them.

Why would you say just because the OP is a single guy he is obviously not looking for a 3/2/2. We see now he isn't but I am younger than him, a male, single, and own a 3/2/2 in the burbs.

I will agree with you that it is possible to get around without a car.

Quote:
I easily found several just south of the river, close to SoCo where you can rent a 1 bedroom for $675 or a 2 bedroom for $995. Pretty attractive when compared to your $1725 example.
How is a 1 or 2 bedroom APARTMENT more attractive than a 3/2/2 house in any way other than price? You would have to PAY me to live there.

Last edited by sinking; 05-04-2011 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfirex007 View Post
Good call! Yeah I'm single, 29 year old male. Which is one of the things that make Austin appealing to me. I want to live near the nightlife and all the action. So I have zero interest in living in area with families and stuff. I would be happy with a studio apartment (Maybe a 2br if I can find a roommate) just so it is safe. I'd like to be near nature trails so I can go for runs/biking etc. But not a deciding factor. Of course walking distance to most things.
I'm retired and don't do the club scene much anymore, but the majority of the kinds of jobs you are looking for will probably be along or near one of these areas:

1. East Sixth Street from Congress Avenue to IH-35 or in adjacent areas around the CBD downtown.

2. SoCo, South Congress Avenue, from the River to Oltorf.

3. Barton Springs Road from Lamar Blvd west to Zilker Park.

Check out the club listings here: Music - The Austin Chronicle

Even the worst parts of Austin are relatively save compared to most other parts of the U.S. Austin has low violent crime rates but high property crime rates, mostly theft. So, you can feel safe, but don't leave valuables laying around. Not sure how this impacts the bouncer trade.

There are numerous free apartment locator services in Austin because of the University here, so it should be easy to find some to help you find something in your price range and location preferences. East Riverside Drive, East of IH-35 is less desirable because of lots of college students and one of the higher crime areas in Austin, but still low compared to national crime rates.

P.S. I forgot to mention, there are hike and bike trails and several public parks all along both sides of "Lady Bird Lake", where the Colorado River passes through downtown Austin. As well as many which follow the creeks which drain down into the lake.

Check out Public Transportation and the Hike and Bike trails. I have seen a better map previously of the master hike and bike trail guide, but I'm having trouble finding it at the moment. http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/par..._town_lake.jpg
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/site/tran...tm#publictrans

Last edited by CptnRn; 05-04-2011 at 04:58 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
You don't understand what "Apples to Apples" means, do you? It means comparing like things. If I am giving prices for a given home in one area I want to compare the prices to the same type of home in another area. If you want to compare a one bedroom apartment we should be using the price for a one bedroom in the suburbs instead of my $1725 for a house.

You are right that owning a car brings certain expenses but not owning a car brings other expenses such as the added costs of living closer in, taxis, car rentals, buses, trains. Then you also have the logistics stresses of "I have to get from Austin to Waco without a car". It's not like you are totally eliminating all these expenses by living in a walkable area, you are just moving them.
Which is all totally irrelevant to this discussion. P.S. the OP indicated no desire to go to Waco.

Quote:
Why would you say just because the OP is a single guy he is obviously not looking for a 3/2/2. We see now he isn't but I am younger than him, a male, single, and own a 3/2/2 in the burbs.
So I was right wasn't I! He did not ask where he could find the cheapest 3/2/2 in Austin, he asked if it was possible to get around without a car. Different discussion.

Quote:
I will agree with you that it is possible to get around without a car.
BINGO!

Quote:
How is a 1 or 2 bedroom APARTMENT more attractive than a 3/2/2 house in any way other than price? You would have to PAY me to live there.
What did the OP say? >>> I want to live near the nightlife and all the action. So I have zero interest in living in area with families and stuff. <<< Not everyone wants to live in the burbs and mow the lawn every week. There are lots of ways living in an apartment, in or near the heart of one of the most exciting cities in the US, is much more attractive to some people, than living in the burbs. If I have to explain that to you, I'm probably wasting my breath, so I won't bother.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
I'm moving to Austin in a couple of weeks and I don't plan to buy a car. I've rented an apartment near the big Whole Foods store and I won't be commuting to work. I have family nearby, so I hope living here works out, but if not, I'll move back to SF where I lived happily without a car for 12 years.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:39 PM

19 posts, read 27,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
I'm moving to Austin in a couple of weeks and I don't plan to buy a car. I've rented an apartment near the big Whole Foods store and I won't be commuting to work. I have family nearby, so I hope living here works out, but if not, I'll move back to SF where I lived happily without a car for 12 years.
Let me know how it goes for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: