Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:38 PM

575 posts, read 2,495,693 times

Advertisements

I have used Google so far and the reviews for the ones that come up on top are either 5 stars, which I am suspicious of, or 1 stars, which again is suspicious because it could be a competitor trying to damage their competition.

How to find a trustworthy repair company? It is probably just the capacitor, but that is something I want to watch a tech do first. Anyways, hope to get A/C back, it will be hot this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 06:03 PM

481 posts, read 2,416,280 times
I have heard great things and read great reviews about http://www.serviceexperts.com/Locati..._TX_78758.aspx and A-Plus Energy Management - Home Page and Petrocelli Services :: Austin, TX

Old 06-18-2010, 10:38 PM

575 posts, read 2,495,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
I ended up going with A-Plus, and they came out the next day. The A/C was repaired during the service call, and it was simply carpenter ants that destroyed the "Contactor" switch, which is basically the feed to the main electrical components.

One thing that was suggested, and I turned down, was "leak checks" on the Condenser and the Compressor. It would have been an additional $270 for that, and I did not feel comfortable that it was truly needed. I did not get a high pressure sales pitch, but I did get a "pitch" for the checks. I did not ask the tech when he arrived if he was on commission or not. That is important for these types of expenses, because it is an incentive to suggest marginal activities.

All in all, we were satisfied with A-Plus and would use them again.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:22 PM

27 posts, read 67,065 times
Chucks AC is great!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:45 AM

439 posts, read 1,256,384 times
We used a real good and honest guy that Capt Ron on city-data recommended.

ACME A/C & HEATING, ask for Jason, try him at 512-441-7262 , tell him the Fellows said hello. He took over his Dads business and had been working with his dad since he was 7 years old.

Debbie

Old 06-26-2010, 10:00 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
One thing that was suggested, and I turned down, was "leak checks" on the Condenser and the Compressor. It would have been an additional $270
Yes, it was wise to pass on the leak check. They are a ripoff unless there is a known condition for which a leak is a likely culprit, such as a malfunctioning system that is not functioning as designed and low freon levels.

I personally generate a lot of A/C service calls because of the number of rental homes I manage, and last year I started using Service Wizards and have found them to be very good. They actually fix stuff instead of trying to sell new, and my old company was starting to call out for replacement too high a percentage of repairs.

Steve

Old 06-26-2010, 10:01 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
We used a real good and honest guy that Capt Ron on city-data recommended.

ACME A/C & HEATING, ask for Jason, try him at 512-441-7262 , tell him the Fellows said hello. He took over his Dads business and had been working with his dad since he was 7 years old.

Debbie
Jason Krieg, 736-0145, really does do excellent work, but I though his business name was Alamo Austin Air. At least that is what is on his email address. alamoaustinair"at"yahoo.com replace "at" with @

I just checked, it is also on his last invoice. I have him do all my HVAC work now, at my home and rental property. He is very reasonable, nice guy, honest and easy to work with. He told me I did not need to replace some parts that had been recommended by another AC company, they were always trying to sell me things I didn't feel were needed.

I recently hired Jason to extend the AC system in a friends old house, the existing system was oversized and easily accomodated adding ducts to a family room that previously had a window unit.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:32 PM

439 posts, read 1,256,384 times
Really? I thought I got this from you. My guys name is Jason Baker and he was great. I got his name from city-data from someone????

Debbie

Old 06-29-2010, 10:25 PM

16 posts, read 43,681 times
I use Casa Mechanical and they have been quick and reliable.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
This is why I love City Data! Our AC unit went out this morning. I did a search, found this thread, called one of the suggested AC companies, they came out within an hour, fixed my AC for a reasonable price and now we are cool and comfortable! He didn't try to sell me anything I didn't need, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: