Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 AM

844 posts, read 2,019,477 times

Advertisements

So, it has taken me until my 2nd year in my house but I've finally realized one reason that my house is unbearably hot between 2 and 7 pm is that there is no shade from the Western sun. My house faces west and I really like it in the winter for the lovely evening sun. But starting this time of year, it just bakes my house.

I had energy efficiency work done including a radiant barrier, insulation and roof vents in the attic, but it's just not enough. I know I also need to get my windows replaced - they're old and the west facing ones are actually hot in the afternoon.

But I also want to get a shade tree or two installed. What I would like is if a tree company or arborist would come and look at my lot, the soil, the position of the sun w/ the house and make some recommendations for fast growing trees that will generate shade soon but will also be long lived, grow to the right height, fit in my space, will require minimal water, w/ few diseases etc. I would also love some fall color, but that's just a bonus. Then I'd like them to either install or recommend an installer.

Does anyone in Austin do this? I've heard of tree places I can go but I would really like a specific recommendation based on my lot which seems like it would require an on site visit.

Last edited by kiacook; 05-09-2011 at 09:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,072 times
I've heard Spanish oak is a fast-er growing oak. No recs on the arborist, could you maybe look at hiring a landscape architect?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Red Oak is the fastest growing type of tree I've ever seen. Don't cheap out, either - pay the $400 to have a 3" dia. (about 10-12 ft tall) tree delivered, and staked with a 1-year guarantee...watching a $20 stick grow into a 3" dia tree is an agonizing experience. There are red oaks in our area that were planted 6 years ago (when 3" dia.) and some are now taller than the 2-story houses next to them - I'm not kidding. After planting, add fertilizer stakes, keep mulched and watered while young, to see best results. Soil types may play a large role, though... the further west you go, the worse the soil becomes, and the attrition rate starts to rise. The fall color is great though, it can't be beat.

For a recommendation, I would suggest either Tim Hackney, or Michael Embisi.

Last edited by jobert; 05-09-2011 at 10:07 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 10:42 AM

659 posts, read 1,758,974 times
Cedar elm. My neighbors planted 2 in their (west-facing) front yard, and those suckers grew fast! They're also native, sun, and drought tolerant, provide good shade. Also offers some fall color.

Texas Tree Selector: Tree Description

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Cedar Elm is a good choice, nice yellow fall color. Its small leaves don't make a huge mess in the fall, they biodegrade easily and are easy to clean up.

Red Oak is a beautiful tree and has nice redish fall color. I planted two in my back yard from small saplings, they grew fast and are huge now. Excellent shade trees, however there are some trade offs. They are subject to oak wilt. The tree roots are starting to make a patio slab near by tilt up. The leaves are huge and do not biodegrade easily so they make a big mess requiring a dozen or so leaf bags in order to dispose of them each fall. They also drop tons of large acorns on the ground which are difficult to clean up and painful to step on barefoot.

Michael Embesi is very knowledgeable, but last I heard he was still employed by the City of Austin as the City Arborist.

An arborist I have worked with that I would recommend is:
Davey Tree Company
Vincent Debrock, Arborist
work 451-4986
mobile (512) 677-3129

Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
I'd suggest a Burr Oak. I've seen these grow really, really fast. The leaves are very large, which some people might find messy when they fall... but I think they are easier to clean than the small Live Oak leaves. Also, I really like the deep green of the leaves and dark brown textured bark.

They are also resistant to disease, and aren't susceptible to oak wilt like Live Oaks and Red Oaks.

I have a Cedar Elm that I planted last year, and it's doing very well. My only complaint is that the Cedar Elm grows almost straight-up vertical, and the canopy tends to stay somewhat small. The Burr Oak gets wide much faster, providing more shade, at least from what I've seen.

If you ever go to the area by the YMCA at Ladybird Lake, or even just drive by Cesar Chavez & Lamar, there are a bunch of Burr Oaks planted right there in around next to softball field south of the Y. They have grown very fast, and they haven't been visibly affected by the drought.

Always check the Austin Grow Green guide, it's incredibly useful plus has pictures/info about all the trees mentioned so far : http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen/pg_pdfs.htm

Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Wow...y'all must have a more attractive 'variety' of Cedar Elm! The 'indigenous' ones behind our house and in the 'green belt' of Avery Ranch are truly ugly in the winter...they look like a dead oak(except for the pervasive mistletoe ).

I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned the Bradford Pear. I'm NOT recommending it;but, IF you were only going to live there a few years and then move, you could leave the 'problem' Bradfords for the next folks! I know they are problematic; but they provide shade during the summer and allow the light through during the winter. They were everywhere in Atlanta until the developers and landscapers quit using them because they were known as 'five to eight year' trees. All it takes is a good wind storm or ice storm and the Bradfords have all kinds of problems. We have quite a few here in our neighborhood and many are doing well. Quick shade if you plant a 'large-ish' one to start. Some folks have the 'quick shade' idea with a Bradford Pear with a slower growing 'something else' nearby to takes its place in 4-6-8 years. Just a thought.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Arizona ash do very well in San Antonio. They grow quick, are drought tolerant as well. They only live to about 50 though.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:49 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'd suggest a Burr Oak. I've seen these grow really, really fast. The leaves are very large, which some people might find messy when they fall... but I think they are easier to clean than the small Live Oak leaves. [/url]
Burr oaks are really nice looking trees but they create a huge amount of leaves to clean up...plus the golf ball size acorns. I only have one at the end of my driveway and it produces a foot deep of leaves every fall. Never noticed much of the leaves from my many live oaks since they fall throughout the year instead of seasonally.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:53 PM

844 posts, read 2,019,477 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! I wonder if some of these might be too large though. I live on a cul de sac so my front yard is kind of pie shaped. I thinks it's going to be key to get something that will grow the right size for the space. I'm also worried about Oak Wilt. Austin is one of the most infected cities in the country I've read. I would be devastated to see a tree I planted killed by that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin