U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,145 times

Advertisements

For those of you with young children, do you find the heat hindering to keeping your little ones active outside?

My family is considering moving to Texas and the current temp in Austin is about 23 degrees warmer than where I can currently live. Now, I will say that ya'll were likely enjoying several months of 60-75F weather while we were still in the middle of winter. I get that it is a tradeoff. Part of the reason to move would be to have more space and be close to family, but I want my kids to be playing outside as much as they can.

Obviously a kiddie pool is a must...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 01:17 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,952,117 times
One word, "POOL!"

Old 05-09-2011, 01:27 PM

7,232 posts, read 14,445,422 times
You have to have a car with deeply tinted windows! This is a must for kids, other wise the interior of the car just gets too hot and the buckles and straps of car seats can be torture!

In the summer, we always drive with water in the car for everyone. In high summer (July and August) playgrounds are busiest in the very early morning, before 9 am. Pools are great! As are indoor playscapes, movies, etc. Generally it is hottest between 3-5 pm. You'll adjust!

We tend to do more hardcore out door activities: hiking, gardening, kayaking, visiting zoos, etc in between October and March. That's when you can be outdoors all day. My kids are definitely outdoors in the summer, but you have to be careful and limit the amount of time outside (watch for dehydration and sunstroke).

Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM

14 posts, read 45,930 times
Tinted windows ARE a must. I can't imagine living in Texas without them. The carseat straps are sometimes still too hot with tinted windows, so be very careful. Keep a lot of water on hand.

I found that the heat did limit my kid's outdoor time for three long months, June, July, and August. A few years ago, it was 100+ degrees every day for three straight months and we didn't go out much. We stayed inside, with the blinds drawn and the ac on full blast. (Last summer was more mild.) When my son got a little older, we would just make sure we went out in the mornings, like the other poster said. It's hottest in the late afternoon/early evening. Unless it's a horrible summer, Sept through May is fine as far as heat goes.

But don't expect winter to be all balmy and nice! When the winter months come, you have to switch it up and go out in the late afternoon when it's 50-60 instead of in the morning when it's 30. We had snow twice last year, and once a few years before that. The only reason Austin doesn't have semi-consistant snow in the winter is because it's 30 degrees and clear, not rainy.

But the bottom line is: don't worry, you'll probably adjust before you know it, and the ever-changing weather will provide a never-ending source of conversation.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 PM

16,791 posts, read 45,088,000 times
Water sports and shade are the keys to enjoying Summer in Austin. There are lots of swimming holes and rivers where you can swim, tube, shaded campgrounds next to the lake like Arkansas Bend are great.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:29 PM

679 posts, read 1,674,813 times
You might have to change your mindset a bit... Don't feel bad if it's just too hot to get outside. We go to the library, cook, puzzles, art projects, movie-watching, going out for ice cream, day camps through continuing ed... And a plan a summer vacation somewhere cool right about August!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:31 PM

13,719 posts, read 28,120,183 times
My kids grew up here. We did essentially nothing to restrict outdoor activity, even in the hottest times of year. We DID make sure they had sunscreen on and always had access to fluids. We monitored them, but they had zero problems related to heat.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:33 PM

And wanted to add, I am not sure where you are moving from, but I guarantee you will spend more time relaxing outside here in Texas if you are moving from the north. People are not nearly as OBSESSED with being outside here because you can be outside all year round. We moved from MN and there as soon as it hits 65, people refuse to go back indoors, except maybe to get another Leine's.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:39 PM

10,818 posts, read 10,354,155 times
lol

When I was a little shaver (age 3-5) my family was stationed at Fort Sam Houston and Camp Hood (now Fort Hood), 1946-50. At Camp Hood we lived in WWII converted frame barracks. On Infantry Post at Fort Sam our house was a two story brick home with a screened sleeping porch.

The only air conditioning we had was electric table fans.

Mrs.ScoPro was raised in Taylor, Texas without A/C up until the late '50s - her family slept out on their screened sleeping porch almost year round.

I remember lots of pool time in the summers & frequent watermelon "feasts".

We survived.

Our three sons raised in Austin during the '70s & '80s were outside all the time and seem to have made it just fine without their brains being baked too much. (Little League, soccer, tennis, golf)

Old 05-09-2011, 04:02 PM

You really do need to be crazy about the sunscreen. My MIL couldn't believe I was slathering up the kids in spf 50 in November... But the sun is so much stronger! I myself don't ever set foot outside without sunscreen on my face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin