Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 10,635 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a move to Texas this year and wanted to know about Stadard Pacific communities in the Austin area. We saw a topic about DR Horton and are hesistant from what we've heard. Someone posted a link to JD Power that said Standard Pacific was the highest rated builder and got a nearly flawless review but wanted to hear from others too. We don't need new constuction and would rather have resale for the savings in price. Can anybody tell me where the existing communities are by this builder? We have a budget of around $200,000 to $250,000. DH will be working downtown, so being as close to downtown is important to us. We are in our 30's with no kids but planning on starting sometime next year. Any place with better than average schools would be fine. Our two biggest needs are closeness to town and a solidly built house - not stick builders please!! Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 03:37 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,982,028 times
This is what you are referring to:
Ratings | J.D. Power (http://www.jdpower.com/homes/ratings/home-builder-customer-satisfaction-ratings/austin/ - broken link)

I don't think they build that many houses here, but the few communities they have built are higher-end. The only Standard Pacific community I know of is next to SouthPark Meadows just north of Onion Creek. I'm pretty sure the houses are about $100-$120/sf, and range from around 2000sf to 3000sf (give or take a few hundred). Googlemap "National Park" for the street that runs though it - the community is called "Parkside at Slaughter Creek", and it's about 8-9 miles south of downtown with direct freeway access. For your price range, this is the best you can do in Austin. Good luck, and welcome to Texas!

Old 01-02-2011, 01:03 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,098,584 times
Standard Pacific has just started building in the Ranch at Brushy Creek. We looked at them but chose Drees instead and like it over the Standard Pacific.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:33 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,639,313 times
We have a Meritage and aside from the usual issues (no information on upgrades, unorganized process and very slow) we are very happy with the house. I would feel comfortable with Taylor Morrison and Drees as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 13,627 times
Standard Pacific has homes from the 230s west of Austin in a community called Highpointe. They are also supposed to start building near Circle C in SW Austin in the Spring.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 12,474 times
I deal with some of the high end builders here in this area and are looking to build within the year. One of the builders that I am considering is Standard Pacific. I am in these homes weekly. High recommendation. Another good one would be Grand Haven Homes. These two would be the best with competivtive pricing. Now look at Grand Haven and see their clever ways of making a home, a home. Drees is a wonderful builder too but are not doing too well for the Austin area. Check out Park at Brushy Creek. Very nice area, growing, high sought location. Easy access to Austin. I wish I could tell you more but you are on a good thing with Standard Pacific. Check out the other builders in Brushy Creek if you get out there.

Good Luck!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:03 PM

589 posts, read 1,805,575 times
I opened up a drawer in the kitchen of a Drees home in Falconhead and was shocked by the shoddy quality. I like the look of Drees homes but don't know much more than that that drawer was a big turn-off. Quality kitchen construction is the single most important feature in any home I look at.

BTW, we just purchased a Standard Pacific Home and have been very pleased.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:17 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,409,489 times
I would say that Drees and SP have the same quality.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:58 PM

171 posts, read 420,691 times
I have no basis for comparison, but we're happy with our Centerra home in Silver Oak (just off Brushy Creek, between 183A and Parmer).

They use wet-blown, closed-cell foam insulation around the entire living space. The trim out is good, and the exterminator liked that all of the under-cabinet cuts were smooth, so he wouldn't catch himself on them.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:42 PM
gdu

256 posts, read 695,813 times
We went custom, but as far as large builders, I think Taylor Morrison and Drees build the best home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin