Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:23 PM

212 posts, read 1,076,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
RIGHT ON! That's a big plus for us since we pay state taxes here and cannot write off sales taxes! Yipiee!

Sell house, sell!
Don't get too excited. The sales tax schedules are pretty weak and unless you are saving your receipts you will probably write more off on your income taxes - there is no sales tax on food.

If you are really watching your receipts, I recommend getting your gas receipts with the taxes itemized out so you can use those too - they add up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 01:33 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GANKS View Post
Don't get too excited. The sales tax schedules are pretty weak and unless you are saving your receipts you will probably write more off on your income taxes - there is no sales tax on food.

If you are really watching your receipts, I recommend getting your gas receipts with the taxes itemized out so you can use those too - they add up.
Oh yeah, I am the queen of organization. Saving receipts...no problem! We purchase a lot of durable medical supplies too that will add up.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:42 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzedforhim View Post
Oh yeah, I am the queen of organization. Saving receipts...no problem! We purchase a lot of durable medical supplies too that will add up.
We use a credit card that downloads to quicken so we have every single transaction.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,500 times
Wink If you do the Math

If you are looking at a $180,000 Mortgage on a 1700 sq. ft. home in Austin and looking at the same home in California for $540,000 the difference in Property tax can be huge! For instance..
$180,000 home x 2.80% tax rate = $5,040 per year V.S.
$540,000 home x 1.5%(?) tax rate = $8,100 per year.

Which would you rather pay?

Not to mention the fact that we do not pay state taxes on our paychecks.
You might want to look into Auto & Homeowners insurance rate differences as well.

Austin's home market has grown an average of 11% in value over the past year according to PMI magazine. You taxes might increase but obviously so will your equity.
Good Luck!

Old 08-03-2007, 04:07 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times
Quote:
does the no state income tax offset the high property taxes?
For most people, no it won't. Not on houses of comparable value. But as others have pointed out, it's a variable equation depending on your level of income, where you're coming from (the costs against which you are comparing), etc.

I ran the numbers a few years ago comparing a $350K home in Arizona to a $350K home in Austin and using a $100K annual salary. The additional income taxes in AZ were far lower (about $800/yr. if I remember) than that higher property taxes in Texas. It wasn't even close.

Steve

Old 08-03-2007, 06:28 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,350 times
I think it depends mostly on three things. Salary and when you bought your California house and where that California house was (Victorville or San Rafael).

For us, it was very cost beneficial to move to Austin. For some others, not so much.

If you have a pretty good wage in California, are commuting in from a lower cost of living area nearby and have lived in your house for years, then you may not see much savings (for example, my dad's house, bought in 1965, was worth $350k but carried only $350 per YEAR in property taxes).

If you work for a company that will pay the same wage as your California job (my husband was contacted just today about a job with a choice between Plano and Los Angeles with the same pay in both locations), you have a newer house and live in an expensive area, then you are in the best position to benefit from a move.

We looked at it this way. In Dublin, CA, where we lived:
3000 sq ft house - new - in nice area with a view - $1.25 million X 1.25% tax = $15,625 per year

In Austin
same quality, same size house - new - in a nice area with view - $350k x 2.5% = $8750.

California income tax was about $3500. So, California = $15,625 (if I could have afforded it) + $3500 = $19,125.

$19125 minus Austin prop tax of $8750 = $10375 per year savings.

Bottom line is there is no one answer. You have to look at your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: