Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 6,326 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I'm in the middle of a tough decision that involves relocating to Austin for a job. First off, I just graduated from Michigan State University and have lived in Michigan my whole life so this would be a huge move for me. After researching these forums I've thought of some questions that I hope some can help me out with.

Overall, in your opinion, what would be the best and worst thing about living in Austin? I've heard it's a great city and I actually just read that it ranked #1 for young people to live (Congrats!!)

Also, for a young individual like myself what is the most appealing thing about living in or around Austin?

Lastly, and probably the issue I'm struggling with the most is the job I was offered. I've been extended an offer from Dell for inside sales. After researching many sites, including this one, I've heard Dell is not an ideal place to work. Can anyone elaborate on this and maybe give an experience they've had with 'Dell Hell'?

Along with that, I probably wouldn't plan on staying at Dell for more than 5 or even 3 years so what would the opportunity be to find another career in a moderate amount of time if I chose to do so?

After reading these forums it seems like you folks are very helpful and any help here would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 11:43 PM

157 posts, read 265,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSparty View Post
I've been extended an offer from Dell for inside sales. After researching many sites, including this one, I've heard Dell is not an ideal place to work. Can anyone elaborate on this and maybe give an experience they've had with 'Dell Hell'?
I've never worked there - but I've heard stories from both ends of the spectrum and in-between. I know Dellionaires who have great stories from "back in the day" as well as people that want to burn the entire campus in Round Rock down. I know people that have left Dell and gone back, and I've met people who would never go back. From what I hear, it really depends on what department you end up in and what management you are working under. You may want to make sure you are compatible with your department and direct manager.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:07 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
I have known many that work/worked for Dell, and I have worked with Dell as a business partner. Very few people will say they really like working at Dell. They pay generally well, and your experience there should be valuable if/when you change jobs.

The problem with Dell is that they are a high pressure environment. Sales is a business of numbers - did you hit your sales targets or not? If you regularly meet or exceed them, you will do well. If you don't, Dell will show you the door. Dell is very cost conscious, so there are no frills there. In my many trips to a Dell facility, I never saw free coffee nor was I offered any. My Dell contacts had to pay for the bottled water they offered me.

Most of the "Dellionaires" talk about making money in the good old days. What made Dell a good place to work in the 90s was stock options. It was never about the job.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:58 AM

20 posts, read 78,385 times
I love Austin and I'm pretty sure you will too. My wife and I are about to move to Colorado to be closer to family but it is understood that we are eventually moving back to Austin. It's just an all around great place to live (in my humble opinion).

Best thing about Austin: There's always something to do. No matter what you're into, you can always find a show, an event, a festival, nightlife, movies, comedy show, poetry slams, bike rides , marathons, parks, river, lake, music, restaurants. You can ALWAYS find something.

Worst thing about Austin: 3 way tie between allergies, traffic, and Moderator cut: off topic for the forum (national politics

Bottom line: it's a really big college town that isn't overwhelmed by college students because most of them graduate and stay so you kind of get the best of both worlds. You don't feel like every other person is a student, but you get all the art and nightlife of a young persons utopia.

And if you ever get sick of all the dang fun people are having, you can move to a country town just outside of Austin and be no more than a 20 minute drive into downtown.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bo; 05-23-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-14-2011, 03:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,839,394 times
This thread covers most of the best and worst of Austin.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...p-ten-add.html

Old 05-22-2011, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the help guys and/or girls. I ended up accepting the job. Now I have to find a place to live. Where would you guys recommend with your experience? I'm thinking I want to stay in North Austin or Round Rock so I'm close to work but still want to experience Austin completely. Any ideas???

Old 05-28-2011, 07:29 PM

Would it be a b**** to live in Hyde Park area and commute to Round Rock? I'm not sure how traffic is but I hear it's bad. What would you all recommend?

Old 05-28-2011, 07:56 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,565,147 times
Quote:
Would it be a b**** to live in Hyde Park area and commute to Round Rock? I'm not sure how traffic is but I hear it's bad. What would you all recommend?
What is it about Hyde Park that draws your interest? It would be a reverse commute, but you'll still run into some traffic at times. A good plan with Austin and our systemic traffic problems is to live close to where you work so that the daily commute will be minimal. What sort of neighborhood and price range are you looking for?

Old 05-28-2011, 08:22 PM

I have no idea what Hyde Park is like. I had someone contact me who is looking for a roommate that is located around that area. I'm a young professional and don't really have an ideal neighborhood, just one that is safe obviously. I've always lived in apartments so houses are new to me. I want to keep my price range around $500-600/month. What do you mean when you say reverse commute?

Old 05-28-2011, 09:27 PM

362 posts, read 1,040,210 times
Quote:
I have no idea what Hyde Park is like. I had someone contact me who is looking for a roommate that is located around that area. I'm a young professional and don't really have an ideal neighborhood, just one that is safe obviously. I've always lived in apartments so houses are new to me. I want to keep my price range around $500-600/month. What do you mean when you say reverse commute?
Welcome to Austin, fellow Spartan.

Reverse commute is when most people are moving in one direction during rush hour; you're moving north when everyone else is moving south. It wouldn't be too bad living in Hyde Park and driving into Round Rock. It really depends on how close you live to Mopac or 35.

As for things to do in Austin, there's a good alumni association here that has game watching parties for MSU football and basketball. I can provide you the facebook link if you want more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin