Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 12:42 PM

11 posts, read 28,353 times

Advertisements

I can't be the only one tired of commuting into Austin. Where would a commuter find an inexpensive place to rent (Mon-Thurs nights only)?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 01:32 PM

291 posts, read 797,026 times
sometimes the long stay hotels will cut a deal when they know you will be here every Mon-Thurs. My sil stayed in one and they had a storage unit where he put his stuff on weekends when he went home.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:08 PM

Dear RowdysMom,

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked into one extended stay type hotel and, even with their discount, a month would cost about $800. I'm looking for about half of that. Is there someplace other than Craig's List that people place ads?

Again, thanks for anyone's input. Are there other commuter's out there reading these?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:19 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,563,841 times
Have you considered a roommate situation, or renting a room out of someone's house? That might be the perfect compromise. Someone having a little trouble making their mortgage each month might be glad to rent you a bedroom in their house for M-Thu for $400.

Or you could look for a studio apartment somewhere, if you can find something in that range. The rental market is tough right now.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:50 PM

399 posts, read 1,797,389 times
It sounds like a very tall order you're trying to fill. I can't imagine anything other than a hotel fitting the bill... and, outside of Asia, hotels are usually reluctant to give much of a discount for what amounts to a bunch of four night stays. You never know, though.

Where are you commuting from?

Old 05-15-2011, 03:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,822,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveysam View Post
Dear RowdysMom,

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked into one extended stay type hotel and, even with their discount, a month would cost about $800. I'm looking for about half of that. Is there someplace other than Craig's List that people place ads?

Again, thanks for anyone's input. Are there other commuter's out there reading these?
Half of that near downtown. LOL

See this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...t-central.html

You can probably find a small studio apartment for $650.

It would make more sense to sell your home in the burbs and by or rent a nice place near downtown.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:54 PM

Default commuter rental (Mon-Thurs nights only)

I can’t believe how quickly you all have responded! Thanks!

JohnHenrySDM: Buyning a house is the conclusion that we am FINALLY coming to, I think. We actually have been looking at a house to buy but I wanted to check out all the rental possibilities before I sign on the dotted line (very soon).

CptnRn: I did read Suzie85's thread. It is helping me decide that buying is the right decision. The commute is about 3 hours RT from where we own a home = and have an older parent that needs someone around - so we can't just move to Austin full-time.

h886: We haven't been able to find the commuter rental property at all. It is a tall order to fill. We really wanted to rent because the job is new but, since we could afford this house - even without a roommate - we are probably going to go that route. One bonus could be that the house that we have chosen would allow for a rentable extra room with bath, if we choose to rent out a room.

Y'all have been great. Just these few postings has reassured us that we are doing the right thing. THANKS AGAIN!

Last edited by surveysam; 05-15-2011 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: weird [FONT] stuff

Old 05-15-2011, 06:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,822,728 times
Using Austin TX Homes for Sale & Austin Real Estate - Zillow

I found a few places with rent between $450-$500 per month, I even found two places at $443 to $450/month, but nothing at prices lower then that. Surprisingly some are 1 bedroom. 3 in Rivertown, very close to downtown, higher crime are, but its mostly broke college student kinds of crime.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 PM

Default commuter rental (Mon-Thurs nights only)

CptnRn (good movie, BTW).

We had looked at some of the apartments early on and decided that the ones we could afford were not safe enough, plus a garage is a must. What you found confirms what we thought.

I appreciate the time you spent on this for us! I know that once we make a decision, we will be fine with it because we will only opt for choices we can afford. (We have good credit and want to keep it that way.) In the meantime, I really want to be sure I checked all the options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin