Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,871,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
In the 1970s, Donald Judd, the most important U.S. minimalist sculptor, after inventing loft-living - i.e the appropriation of industrial space for urban residential living, got bored of SoHo, married a Texas oil heiress and bought a former air force base and several old agricultural warehouse buildings in a small trans-Pecos town in Texas, because it was the furthest from NYC in transportation time he could find. He took the walls out of the buildings and put in his best work and the work of his best friends, and created one of the most spectacular twentieth century art installations and collections in the world. This would be enough to make Marfa interesting. Add that it is the site for some of the most iconic American films from Giant to This is no country for old men, the mysterious appearance of mystical lights, relative proximity to arguably some of the most beautiful scenery in the United States in Big Bend National Park, and you have the most interesting small town in TX, maybe the U.S. The food is great. The old courthouse is pretty. You have two of the most celebrated hotels in Texas, plus the aforementioned Donald Judd overload, and the most magnificent night skies in the northern hemisphere - there is zero sight pollution. It is remote, between two mountain ranges, rich in wildlife, and is to my mind the only world class - whatever that means - tourist destination in the state of Texas. There is nowhere else like it. Visit.
Nice summation. I like it too. I like all of the towns out that way: Marathon, Terlingua, Ft. Davis, Alpine...They're all different but only 25 miles from each other. The landscape is awesome. I would love to have a small place out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 AM

291 posts, read 797,293 times
Alpine is one of my favorite cities out west! I forgot about it.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:31 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,640,201 times
Thanks for the responses everyone. I wonder if I need more time than Memorial Day weekend for a visit?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,839,394 times
It is my impression that Marfa has some of that same "Keep Austin Weird" vibe that is popular here in Austin.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:44 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,302,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. I wonder if I need more time than Memorial Day weekend for a visit?
That is enough time. You will enjoy the trip. Let us know what you think when you return.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
It is a beautiful drive, be sure to play some of your fav music along the way. Stop at the Marathon Hotel (?) for a peek, spend the night in Terlingua at Lajitas Resort, have dinner at Starlite Theatre (Monday eve is packed due to two for one hamburger nite plus live music), check out La Kiva (cave like bar/jam every Wed night), be sure and drive some of the more remote dirt roads in Big Bend (Maverick Rd?) and take a short hike to view the Rio Grand the next day or climb a mountain before heading to Marfa for a nite stay at the very beautiful and relaxing Hotel Paisano, eat at the Food Shark trailer the next day and take a drive out Pinto Canyon Rd (FM2810) rolling hills of tall grass as far as the eye can see. Sat night in Terlingua, Sun night in Marfa, Monday drive thru Ft Davis before heading back to Austin... that is enough to satisfy your quench. It might not be as scenic as I remember because of the drought and fires this year... the first time I went a few years back it was just after a rare rainy season and flood which made the desert green and lush and the Rio Grande swell. It is a spiritual place... something to do with remote nature... call of the wild I guess.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:13 PM

Terlingua also has the mountain bike tours, the Shelby Mustang tour, the infamous Chili Cookoff, the fire shows in the desert, lots of musicians, artist, outlaws, bohemians, drunks, desert rats as they call themselves, eccentrics, hippie's, etc. They also have a strong sense of community since everybody knows everybody and they watch out for each other. Marfa and Terlingua are very different in contrast but both are alluring each in their own way. I prefer the remoteness of the Terlingua desert over the small town feel of Marfa. You can have a really good party in the desert.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 PM

41 posts, read 126,162 times
My wife may have an opportunity to work at the Big Bend Regional Hospital in Alpine, we are going to go there and check it out. We are both desert rats from AZ and we love west Texas.

Old 06-13-2011, 05:50 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,871,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeincg View Post
My wife may have an opportunity to work at the Big Bend Regional Hospital in Alpine, we are going to go there and check it out. We are both desert rats from AZ and we love west Texas.
Wow - lucky you! I would JUMP on that

Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeincg View Post
Perfect place for desert rats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin