Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 PM

75 posts, read 113,168 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving and finding a job in Austin since it has a lot of Tech Companies. I also want to get feedback on the type of "college town" it is.

I heard UT Austin is a big football/party school and I was wondering if most girls stay on campus or hit a general part of the city. If so, I was wondering where.

I'm currently interviewing in San Diego, they have beach and nice weather but they are lacking on a rich pool of software engineers to collaborate after hours with, so I'm having second thoughts.

Austin seems to have it all. Beatiful women so I've heard, college football, a good engineering program at UT Austin, and tons of tech companies to work for.

I'm also 23 and just graduated so I'm asking all this because I want to work in a good part of the country while still enjoying the college life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 11:12 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,449,279 times
Hmmmm....I guess we're all too busy finding military officers for the other poster.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...-officers.html

Old 05-17-2011, 01:55 AM

75 posts, read 113,168 times
Don't know what you mean. I'm really trying to get over San Diego and settle on Austin.

I went out tonight by myself in SD and couldn't bring myself to bring a marine's wife home. She insisted she was single despite having a giant rock on her finger. So please offer up why Austin is the place to be for a recent college grad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Hmmmm....I guess we're all too busy finding military officers for the other poster.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...-officers.html

Old 05-17-2011, 06:45 AM

844 posts, read 2,010,673 times
That was an "in-board" joke. Not really relevant to your post.

However, yes if you want a career in technology or engineering Austin is a good place to be because of the number of tech companies. It will give you more opportunities to change jobs in the future. There is a lot of competition in the employee pool from UT and I think A&M grads, but if you're good, you should be able to do well.

Now to the "girls", yes there are beautiful girls everywhere - even some who have already graduated from college! There are several bar areas in Austin and you won't have to go on campus to meet someone. You will love Austin if you can live with scorching summer temps and without the beach.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:56 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,565,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiunpride View Post
Don't know what you mean. I'm really trying to get over San Diego and settle on Austin.

I went out tonight by myself in SD and couldn't bring myself to bring a marine's wife home. She insisted she was single despite having a giant rock on her finger. So please offer up why Austin is the place to be for a recent college grad.
I don't know if Austin is "the" place to be for anyone... it really depends on you and what you're looking for. We do have a strong tech sector, so if you have the skills to get a job offer from one of the companies here in town, then that's an important factor. I believe others have posted data recently on how there are somewhat more men than women in your age range here. With several colleges in the area, there are plenty of single people of both sexes... just please don't come here because of a fantasy that you will step off the plane and half a dozen women will flock to you like you are the last available man on earth. That isn't the reality. If you move to Austin, it should be because the city has what you're looking for in a more general sense.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:27 AM

574 posts, read 1,633,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
I don't know if Austin is "the" place to be for anyone... it really depends on you and what you're looking for. We do have a strong tech sector, so if you have the skills to get a job offer from one of the companies here in town, then that's an important factor. I believe others have posted data recently on how there are somewhat more men than women in your age range here. With several colleges in the area, there are plenty of single people of both sexes... just please don't come here because of a fantasy that you will step off the plane and half a dozen women will flock to you like you are the last available man on earth. That isn't the reality. If you move to Austin, it should be because the city has what you're looking for in a more general sense.
That's the thinking of a large part of today's youth. We keep hearing how the US is seriously lagging behind other countries in the technical sectors. Gee I wonder why??

Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 AM

574 posts, read 1,633,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombiunpride View Post
I'm thinking of moving and finding a job in Austin since it has a lot of Tech Companies. I also want to get feedback on the type of "college town" it is.

I heard UT Austin is a big football/party school and I was wondering if most girls stay on campus or hit a general part of the city. If so, I was wondering where.

I'm currently interviewing in San Diego, they have beach and nice weather but they are lacking on a rich pool of software engineers to collaborate after hours with, so I'm having second thoughts.

Austin seems to have it all. Beatiful women so I've heard, college football, a good engineering program at UT Austin, and tons of tech companies to work for.

I'm also 23 and just graduated so I'm asking all this because I want to work in a good part of the country while still enjoying the college life.
Stay in San Diego so you can wear flip-flops, bermuda shorts with the wasteband at your ankles, and court all of the "beautiful women" there. You can contribute to the "college life" there and help them with their sales tax woes by buying a lot of alcoholic beverages.

We're so screwed in this country!!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 AM

247 posts, read 556,439 times
You sound like that other creepy guy a while back.

Anyways, in regards to work. Austin pays below average, has above average cost of living compared to the rest of Texas, and is very competitive.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,011,624 times
Austin doesn't pay below average for software skills. Unless you are below average in skills.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:01 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,987 times
After glancing at some of your other posts, I would suggest going with San Diego for now. You're 23 and still in party mode (nothing wrong with that at 23). The Pacific Beach/Mission Beach area would suit you well. It's actually a great place to be while in your 20's especially if you're open to sharing a place with a roomate to make it more affordable.

I also think you are misinformed about the number of software engineers to "collaborate with after hours". Both San Diego and Austin have their fair share of tech companies. If you're just planning on renting a place and not buying a home right away, I'd move to San Diego for at least a couple years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: