Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 02:54 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,573 times

Advertisements

I found a foreclosure that is PERFECT for me. At least online anyway.

It's listed slightly out of my price range so I was wondering how much wiggle room there is with a foreclosure...? I expect this one to go pretty fast if not receive multiple offers. I'm going to see it this afternoon with my agent... so if it's something I'm interested in, do I offer the asking price or try to work a deal for something lower knowing that it may get other offers in?

I know NOTHING about foreclosures other than it's "as-is" condition.

Please share any advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 02:56 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,851,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post

It's listed slightly out of my price range so I was wondering how much wiggle room there is with a foreclosure...? I expect this one to go pretty fast if not receive multiple offers. I'm going to see it this afternoon with my agent... so if it's something I'm interested in, do I offer the asking price or try to work a deal for something lower knowing that it may get other offers in?

Since you have an agent, what does your agent say?

Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Take a walk through and hang up some stickers that look like holes in the walls, and maybe a few fake roaches here and there...then there won't be so many offers .

Old 05-12-2011, 03:14 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
Quote:

Dang hope, I 'hope' this works out for you. I've never heard of an 'as is' foreclosure that didn't have some surprises. Maybe this will be one of the 'good' ones.

Guess your walk-through will reveal some of the good AND bad. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2011, 03:21 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,573 times
My agent is tied up today and her assistant is showing it to me... I'll call her later and quiz her but I thought it might be nice to get multiple opinions.

I'm used to surprises -- seems like even with a new house there are some issues. This will be my fourth house so hopefully I know some things to look out for. Of course a house inspector would help a lot too.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:24 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,557,651 times
hope, just a thought...Is this house still occupied? If so, that opens another potential can of worms when things 'disappear' at move-out time. Plenty of horror stories out there regarding the condition 'before' and 'after' the current owners move.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:41 PM

370 posts, read 999,617 times
I looked at a lot of foreclosures in Cali
I could not believe how bad some were
People destroy the inside sometimes

MANY fealt by the time you buy the foreclosure, and get
it up to snuff, you're right in the ball park of a regular sale, sometimes more

Buyer Beware

Old 05-13-2011, 06:16 AM

574 posts, read 1,640,780 times
Quote:

Make an offer that you can live with whether it is above or below the asking price. Take a good look through it before making the offer and see if you can tell what will need to be done so you can account for that in your offer. Some of these Inspectors will walk through with you for a smaller price and help you with that if you want.

Don't get caught up in the BS that "There are several other offers higher than yours" garbage from the agents trying to run the show and make more off of you! If you make an offer you can live with and stick to it you will be happier later when you do get the home.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:27 AM

4 posts, read 17,608 times
For clients requesting foreclosure information it comes down to this... You can offer whatever you feel you would like to offer, but we will base this on the other "sold" data in the area. This should have been how the bank came up with their price too. In today's market, it is usually possible to find "comparable sold foreclosure homes" that would give some guide for a reasonable offer. I never offer full price unless we are in a multiple offer situation. And, we know we are in a multiple offer situation, not because we have been told so, but rather, because we have received the CORRECT FORM, signed by the listing agent, informing us of this multiple offer situation. When you are buying any property, it is always wise to get the input from a professional REALTOR. This is all we do...

Old 05-13-2011, 07:33 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Quote:

Ask your agent how many foreclosures they have bought. It is completely different and if your agent hasnt done it before they will probably screw up the negotiations.

My agent said that all offers have to be approved by the bank. In the case of one that we were looking at, there was a second as well. He said at the price that was listed, the second would get completely screwed so would never approved. So unless the first and the second had already worked out a deal the deal simply couldnt happen at that price.

He asked the selling agent and she confirmed that the seller had not taken the price to the banks for approval, but that the bank had previously rejected a firm offer 75K higher than the current asking price before.

This is just one example of how agents not knowing how to buy/sell foreclosures can screw up the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin