Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 12:22 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times

Advertisements

Our cars in the driveway were both hit a few weeks back along with many others in the neighborhood. The thieves broke the back windows and took various items. Last week, husband's car was broken into in a grocery store parking lot after just getting the windshield fixed from the first time. Last night, my son's in laws truck was broken into while they were visiting from out of town. All of this in north central area. It has gotten completely out of hand...I wonder where the cops are these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 01:30 PM

293 posts, read 730,397 times
I don't keep a single thing in my car. Not saying it completely prevents busted windows but when the car next to you has stuff in it they'll pass you up.

Also, Texas auto insurance recently added full glass coverage options. $0 deductibles for window glass, ask your agent if it's available now or with your next term renewal.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:05 PM

37 posts, read 63,877 times
Do you have a garage? If you do, I suggest you park in it. We don't want to encourage burglars.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:57 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janmc View Post
Do you have a garage? If you do, I suggest you park in it. We don't want to encourage burglars.
You should duck in 3, 2, 1...

Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,362 times
In north central Austin, many homes were built in the 50s and have a one car garage. May not even be possible to garage two cars.
Not much you can do sometimes, unless you leave items in plain sight.

Last edited by capcat; 05-21-2011 at 10:06 PM..

Old 05-21-2011, 10:14 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
You should duck in 3, 2, 1...
You got that right. BTW, both our cars are I'm the garage right now. Wouldn't want them to get hail damaged.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:56 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,149 times
So...parking your car on the street or in your driveway is encouraging burglars?

It would probably be best if you just didn't have a car, or a house, or any personal belongings at all. You know, it just encourages the burglars.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:10 AM

157 posts, read 266,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I wonder where the cops are these days?
A while back - my car was broken into during the middle of the day - at the parking garage at my workplace. While the burglary was in progress, a bystander drove into the garage and startled the burglar, interrupting the burglary. The witness watched the thief quickly escape into a waiting suburban, which was being driven by a female accomplice and get this - THERE WAS A TODDLER IN THE BACK SEAT.

The witness was able to jot down the license plate number. The police were contacted. No arrest was ever made. The witness was unable or unwilling to id the thief, so the officer said there was nothing they could do - even with the license plate number. The cop didn't seem to care about the kid in the back.

The ******* thief did more damage to the car (destroyed my lock, and ripped out stereo wiring) than the value of what he was trying to steal.

Seems like cops here prefer to hassle bikers on sidewalks and people smoking pot. Dunno - frustrating...

Old 05-22-2011, 06:38 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,057,576 times
I live in Round Rock, and was out walking my dog and came across a woman's check book/wallet laying on someone's lawn - which had her SS card and other things still in it.

I walked up to her house a block or so away to return it to her. Apparently someone had broken into her car and stolen it - just taking the money and tossing the wallet aside.

I work in retail and take CC card info over the phone and can't remember how many times now I've had customers put me on hold so they can run out to their car to get their wallets...

Or how many times I've seen reports of cars broken into and people claiming their laptops, I-Pods, wallets, and other "valuables" were stolen out them.

Inviting trouble, anyone?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:43 AM

19 posts, read 35,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
I don't keep a single thing in my car. Not saying it completely prevents busted windows but when the car next to you has stuff in it they'll pass you up.
I have a little experience in this area and this would be your best advice. When you look into your car from the outside, it should look like a new car on the car lot; completely clean. Keep all valuables in the trunk. Lock the doors. They typically will not risk detection if they don't see anything to steal. And for those who leave their GPS attached to the dash...you're just asking for it. It's the number #1 thing I see stolen. It's easy to pawn and most people don't jot down the serial number.

A typical ratio is 1 police officer per 1000 residents. They can't be everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin