Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:23 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,536 times

Advertisements

For those of you still wondering about Austin's political climate, there is a guy standing in front of the Capitol Building right now with a HUGE sign that says:

"F*** taxes, the upper class, the religious right, and Bush!! Long-hair revolution!"

Everyone was giving him thumbs-up and taking pictures.

I love this place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 12:52 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Very nice.
Reminds me, too, of why I came here.
However, I think some of the lower-class would benefit a lot if the upper-class were forced to cough up some more tax dollars.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:33 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Very nice.
Reminds me, too, of why I came here.
However, I think some of the lower-class would benefit a lot if the upper-class were forced to cough up some more tax dollars.
What a noble yet simplistic view.

How do you envision these tax dollars ending up in the hands of Austin's enormous lower class? Here is a secret: they wouldn't. They will simply go to fund more deficit spending and pork projects.

Just curious, what annual income do you consider "upper class"?

Old 08-03-2007, 01:37 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,910,805 times
I wonder how downtown Austin would respond if someone was standing on the corner with a sign that said

"Jesus loves you"
"Vote Republican"

And so on...I wonder if it would be so "live and let live"

Old 08-03-2007, 01:47 PM

443 posts, read 1,541,381 times
Pretty sure you can put anything you want on a sign without people challenging your rights to do so... even in Austin.

Just don't expect them to agree with you.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:51 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
wonder how downtown Austin would respond if someone was standing on the corner with a sign that said

"Jesus loves you"
"Vote Republican"

And so on...I wonder if it would be so "live and let live"
Seen both lots of times, but not necessarily together .

Old 08-03-2007, 01:55 PM

To answer everybody:

Biscuits,
I didn't make up the sign-holders slogan, I was just referring to it.
I'm simply pro-tax. I don't think in terms of upper and lower class so I don't have any defining income to quote you.

Jazzedforhim,
I can't speak for "downtown Austin" but I would simply ignore a sign that reads "jesus loves you" or "vote republican" because I disagree with those sentiments. I would absolutely "live and let live" though.

Satanoid,
Right on.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:32 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I didn't make up the sign-holders slogan, I was just referring to it.
I'm simply pro-tax. I don't think in terms of upper and lower class so I don't have any defining income to quote you.
Pro-Tax is a very (I can't emphasize the word "very" enough) interesting stance. It's about as popular as being pro-cancer.

So far as not thinking in terms of class or only referring to the original sign; said sign says nothing about "lower class" and in fact seems to be anti-taxation. How you got from point A to point B seems slightly convoluted.

I will put $5 in your PayPal account if you start a thread entitled "Why I am Pro-Tax" and thoughtfully explain your position as it relates to your existence in Austin, TX.

-Biscuits

Old 08-03-2007, 02:41 PM

982 posts, read 3,306,963 times
Quote:
"F*** taxes, the upper class, the religious right, and Bush!! Long-hair revolution!"
That's just....precious. Dude needs to get a haircut and a real job, just like his big brother Bob.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:42 PM

Well, I'm actually anti-PayPal (just kidding) but I'll work on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: