Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:50 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentalarc View Post

In my opinion, the biggest violation of libertarian ideas in Austin was the passing of an anti-smoking ordinance that severely restricted smoking in bars. That's a violation of individual rights, but since it didn't involve guns or taxes, the "libertarians" were silent.
It's actually a violation of property rights. Specifically the right to make the rules in your property (business). However many times multiple people's rights conflict. The smoking ban puts peoples right to a safe work environment above others pleasure in smoking.

If you have the right to free medical health care, do you also have the right to abuse your body?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
...many times multiple people's rights conflict. The smoking ban puts peoples right to a safe work environment above others pleasure in smoking.
Right on. Extreme Libertarianism contains its own demise via internal contradictions like the one you just pointed out.

My best friend's father, a wise old psychiatrist (now long gone), once said to me "As long as there is at least one other person in the world, you can't do what you want."

Old 12-08-2007, 05:34 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
It's actually a violation of property rights. Specifically the right to make the rules in your property (business). However many times multiple people's rights conflict. The smoking ban puts peoples right to a safe work environment above others pleasure in smoking.
I know what you're saying about the rights of people conflicting, but I don't think a total ban was the right way to balance the rights of people, when it comes to this issue. That said, I think Austin would've been much better if they had ONLY banned smoking in truly public places(such as government buildings, public transit, school/college buildings, etc.), and continued to allow private business owners the right to decide their smoking policies, IF exterior signage was posting stating their smoking policy. And as a matter of fact, there are certain communities that did choose to only require exterior signage if a private business chooses to allow smoking, over outright bans, such as New Haven, Indiana, or Lake St. Louis, Missouri(former is a suburb of Fort Wayne, and the latter is a St. Louis suburb). This way, non-smokers who outright want to avoid smoking-allowed establishments continue to have that right to do so, and smokers who want to find a smoker-friendly business can continue to find such establishments.

Maybe it's just as well that the enforcement part of Austin's ban was struck down in a federal court ruling earlier this year. Not to mention at the same time as when Austin voted for a total ban, Amarillo had the sense to very narrowly vote down a similar proposal. Just one non-Austinian's take on the ban is, which for all I know, may be either vastly different, or perhaps similar, to an average Austin resident's view of the ban.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:29 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
Good Points. I agree. The above quote, as true and witty as it is, can also be meant for the people who want to ban everything.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:42 AM

136 posts, read 726,332 times
As a libertarian who is living in Austin, I feel I am qualified to weigh in on this subject. I live here because of my parents, who yes are liberal and my overall opinion is that Austin is overwhelmingly liberal as opposed to other parts of Texas. Austin has ~ 740,000 people and a $2.5 billion budget = $3378 per capita of spending. Dallas is ~ 1,240,000 people and and a $2.7 billion budget = $2177. I live in a part of south Austin that stadles urban with suburban. I notice if I go a little toward downtown you can just feel how liberal it is while in the suburbs you do see alot of Ron Paul type signs, but overall its more liberal if you ask me.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:23 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,102 times
where is Circle C? Is it conservative area of Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin