Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:53 PM

108 posts, read 274,622 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Austin next week and will be living in 78727. I'll be working at downtown Austin. When I looked at the directions in google maps, it says that the distance to my workplace is 14 miles and should take about 20 minutes during normal time and 30 minutes during high traffic, but my colleague says during heavy traffic, it might even take an hour. Is it true? Also, is there a best time to avoid traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:31 PM

399 posts, read 1,802,547 times
It depends a little on which route you take. Assuming it's Mopac (Rt. 1) then heading to work after 10 AM and going home after 7PM will help avoid the worst of it. Otherwise, yes, it could take an hour.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubchub68 View Post
I'll be moving to Austin next week and will be living in 78727. I'll be working at downtown Austin. When I looked at the directions in google maps, it says that the distance to my workplace is 14 miles and should take about 20 minutes during normal time and 30 minutes during high traffic, but my colleague says during heavy traffic, it might even take an hour. Is it true? Also, is there a best time to avoid traffic?
My rule of thumb is to double or triple whatever google says as the average driving time, especially during Rush Hour.

The good news is, if you can avoid Mopac/I35, it helps a bit with traffic. But depending on how far you live from your office, you might have no choice but to take Mopac. Or you will have so many lights on side roads that you might as well take Mopac/I35.

There are windows during rush hour where you can sometimes avoid a good amount of traffic, but that is really hit or miss, and you can only find those windows thru a lot of trial and error. Best of luck to you though.

Working downtown can be tough on commutes.

ADDENDUM: Also, it might help if you can get a place that is somewhat West or East of your job. The main problems with Austin Traffic run along North/South lines. If you are East or West, you may be able to avoid the worst 2 roads in austin, Mopac/I35, and you won't have to worry about traffic. If you haven't picked out a place to live yet, then this might be a good idea. I would much rather deal with lights on Airport getting to downtown, then travel south to downtown.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:18 PM

629 posts, read 1,652,668 times
Unfortunately, Mopac is your most direct and obvious route to downtown, and it is the WORST in rush-hour traffic. You'd have to travel outside of the 7:30-9:30 AM and 4:30-6:30 PM windows to avoid the heaviest traffic.

Hopefully you have that flexible of work schedule. If not, carpooling or audio books might help you cope.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:56 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,202 times
You'll need to allow more than 30 minutes. Part of the problem with Mopac (your most likely route) is that it's unpredictable. One day it's sort of moving and maybe you squeeze in under 30 minutes--like if there's a school holiday or something. The next day it's a parking lot. Because you can't be late to work 40% of the time and expect to keep a job, you have to leave every day at the earlier time. Find a breakfast place near your work, or bring a book or newspaper to read... something. A drive that takes 20 minutes without traffic is likely 35-40ish in traffic, and could very well be an hour on bad days (which you'll find at least once a week.) My drive takes less than 10 minutes without traffic, 20 minutes in normal traffic, and 30-45+ minutes in bad traffic. It's just the nature of Mopac.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:26 AM

322 posts, read 846,739 times
Short answer: Yes. It's true.
I would strongly recommend living east or west of downtown. As a previous poster suggested, the commute would be shorter and less of a pain.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:49 AM

108 posts, read 274,622 times
Thanks everyone! I live in Michigan. Even though we've really good freeway systems, it used to be the same while commuting to my previous work place, so can't complain about Mopac . I could beat the traffic if I leave my house before 7 am and leave work by 3.30 p.m. I would like to know if I can beat the traffic in Austin if I stick to the same time frame.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,202 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I live in Michigan. Even though we've really good freeway systems, it used to be the same while commuting to my previous work place, so can't complain about Mopac . I could beat the traffic if I leave my house before 7 am and leave work by 3.30 p.m. I would like to know if I can beat the traffic in Austin if I stick to the same time frame.
There will still be some traffic at those times, but it will definitely be much lighter than if you left later.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:30 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,695 times
Quote:
I could beat the traffic if I leave my house before 7 am and leave work by 3.30 p.m. I would like to know if I can beat the traffic in Austin if I stick to the same time frame.
From 78727, yes you would almost always beat the heavy traffic at those times unless there is an accident or it's raining since your starting point is already in North Austin. Luckily it doesn't rain too often here as drivers don't handle the rain very well here. I always try to leave extra early if it's raining at all. There would be some Fridays where traffic could be heavy at 3:30pm occasionally, but those sound like good hours to work with.

Old 05-25-2011, 02:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
Yes that will make a huge difference. Or leave for work at 9 AM and go home at 6 PM. Austin employers really do need to start staggering their employees work hours to help them avoid the rush hour traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: