Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:00 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,855,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Fort Worth and San Antonio have character and will continue to. And Houston is already more "urban" than both and Austin.
Houston is not a true "urban" city... Austin will be the first true "urbanized" city if the vision is developed. I could be wrong, yes... but I wouldn't be surprised if Austin becomes a real urbanized city in the future. That being said, I didn't mean to imply that Ft. Worth and SA do not have character... I was simply talking about the city layouts and infrastructure. I know Ft. Worth has some great development planned, but not as much as Austin. Austin, along with Charlotte, will be the next great city from the South and will continue to have a bigger reputation in the nation and more recognizable than San Antonio or Fort Worth. Debatable maybe, but so far it's been looking in Austin's favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 10:59 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,798,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Smithville? Breham? Marathon? Marfa?

Otherwise, try rural Nebraska, eastern Oklahoma along Hwy 69?
Rural Nebraska and eastern Oklahoma are prone to tornadoes, which the OP didn't want.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 AM

509 posts, read 1,539,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
That is! What brings you to Austin?
I'll DM you...

Old 05-30-2011, 09:03 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,031,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Rural Nebraska and eastern Oklahoma are prone to tornadoes, which the OP didn't want.
True, but I do love that stretch of Oklahoma. You are probably right, flowers should probably head to NE, maybe up state NY.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:13 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,685,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
I appreciate your perspective and largely agree with the exception of the characterization of Fort Worth as back-water. All one has to do is visit the city's world class museums to dispel that notion. And that's just a start. I've run both city's trails and for sheer beauty Fort Worth is my preference. Fort Worth, to me, is muscular, manicured, and in many ways elegant. Austin, to me, is more effete - sorta like a cute girl who doesn't shave her legs. BTW, I'm not trying to make this an Austin vs. Fort Worth thing. Both are great cities - and the only cities in Texas I would care to live in. Thus my answer to the thread's question...
Whether FW is backwater, in my opinion, depends on what pocket of town you're in. I happen to work and 'move' in very well educated and cultural pockets, which are not backwater at all. But I'm also very aware that I inhabit a bubble, outside of which the greater community feels quite provincial. This contrast was much less noticeable in Austin.

Back to the OP's question: There are plenty of cool places to live besides Austin.
In the US I would consider Tucson, Central Coast of California (w/ a good job), Albuquerque, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, parts of North Carolina.

Beyond the US: Southern Europe (esp. Spain or Italy), too many places across Latin America to name, Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:03 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,013,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Houston is not a true "urban" city... Austin will be the first true "urbanized" city if the vision is developed. I could be wrong, yes... but I wouldn't be surprised if Austin becomes a real urbanized city in the future. That being said, I didn't mean to imply that Ft. Worth and SA do not have character... I was simply talking about the city layouts and infrastructure. I know Ft. Worth has some great development planned, but not as much as Austin. Austin, along with Charlotte, will be the next great city from the South and will continue to have a bigger reputation in the nation and more recognizable than San Antonio or Fort Worth. Debatable maybe, but so far it's been looking in Austin's favor.
There is no true urbanized city in Texas in comparison to what you see in the northeast, and there never will be most likely. Smart cities are evolving and don't always fit the definition of old. But people should not move to Texas from the NE and expect it to be the same.
Right now the closest thing Texas has to a "real" city, in most senses of the definition (which includes a lot more than just the way the city is layed out) is Houston.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:00 PM

20 posts, read 37,737 times
Realistically, places where I could get a good job, and with a lot of companies in my industry (finance). So New York and SF. Possibly Dallas, Seoul, Singapore, Chicago (in that order).

Really hope Austin continues growing AND becomes more dense so that the infrastructure problem will partially solve itself (more dense and larger tax base). It will be a lot easier to meet with people, exchange ideas, get around the city, keep neighborhood schools, etc. Zoning laws and attitudes need to be changed to prevent this growth from going to Leander and Kyle though.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,855,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
There is no true urbanized city in Texas in comparison to what you see in the northeast, and there never will be most likely. Smart cities are evolving and don't always fit the definition of old. But people should not move to Texas from the NE and expect it to be the same.
Right now the closest thing Texas has to a "real" city, in most senses of the definition (which includes a lot more than just the way the city is layed out) is Houston.
Yes, I know that. Austin, however, will be the closest to ever getting there.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:23 PM

69 posts, read 181,968 times
I've lived in Austin for about 6 years, and I think the economy is great for the high-tech industry. I don't know anyone who is desperate for a job right now.

But to speak to the recent development- I like how the downtown area is looking more urban, but I hate it that every year we feel like we can afford less and less to live central.

If you have a great job and are single, or have a dual income with no kids yet, you can probably afford to live somewhere central, where you can easily walk to something interesting. I think it would be great to live downtown, but there is no way our family can afford to live central now. And I really don't think downtown Austin is worthy of the NYC prices. Seriously, it's not so great that it's worth spending $1400 for a studio, in my opinion. We're going to end up having to move to Cedar Park or Round Rock, or further, just to stay within our means. I hate that.

Schools are also in trouble here, lots of budget issues and school closings in Austin. But if you don't have kids, that's no biggie.

All in all, I think Austin is a pretty great place. The vibe definitely changes by neighborhood.. if you feel like you're being judged in one particular place, and I know exactly what you mean, then go somewhere else. Or just ignore it. I felt so out of place when I first moved here, but now I just don't care.

For us, we are thinking of moving in a few years to the northeast. Maybe the New England area. We miss having 4 seasons, being close to the mountains, ocean, and being so well-connected to lots of major cities. I don't like how isolated Austin feels by comparison.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:56 PM

7,993 posts, read 10,340,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
My husband's family is from PA and I keep having this vision of a rambling stone house outside of Philly where it is super green with moderate summer temps and a "close" proximity to the shore, cape, NYC, DC, etc. I do love Austin, however, and plan to stay for some time.
I am from the Philly 'burbs and would move back in a heartbeat. THe countryside is beautiful, you have just enough of all 4 seasons that you don't really get sick and tired of any of them, natural disasters are extremely rare, a short drive to the beach or to the mountains (shorter drive than from here to San Antonio), etc.

And my small suburb of 3000 people was only 15 miles from Center City Philadelphia (closer than I am now to Downtown Austin, and I technically live in Austin). It has nearly 400 years of history, and the beautiful colonial buildings that go with it. It also has more live music per capita than Austin, and more festivals, despite it's small size. THe main street is beautiful, clean, quaint and easily walkable.

I also wish Austin were more lush - green, thick grass everywhere, huge, towering, abundant trees (not just cedar shrubs and occasional pines 45 minutes away in Bastrop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin