U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2007, 10:59 AM

11 posts, read 21,557 times

Advertisements

I guess this question is often asked. I did look thru the forum search first and that didnt help much, so here goes.

My wife and I are moving over from the UK. We are pretty flexible where we live with the proviso that we must be near an airport as my work could be anywhere in the US/Canada.

We made a decision to come to Texas, dunno why really, reasonable property prices I guess.

I know pretty much about the heat, humidity, bugs, snakes, drivers etc from what I have read, but this is a more personal question I guess.

As San Marcos is between Austin and San Antonio, I thought it might be a good base for use as I would have a 2 airport choice. I have since been informed that San Marcos may not be a great place as it is full of college students. (I have a young family, 7 & 5 yr old girls).

I guess I am looking for the usual things, good area to live, nearer Austin rather than San Antonio, so was looking at Kyle, seems a bit small although I read they are building big time.

Thus, I am wanting to find a decent area around the Austin area, but I am not a city dweller by any means, in fact I dont really like cities at all, but know they are necessary for my work.

The usual question of schools is important of course, but I am concerned as we will be flying over, staying in a motel I guess for a few weeks until we can find a rental and then hopefully find a place to buy once we are seetled and can establish credit worthiness.

I see places like Round Rock and Pflugerville, they seem ok from what I have read, but having never visitied this area I dont know.

We have lived in France, the Netherlands and the UK, I have also spent time in South Carolina in the past so we can move around if needs be.

might be a good place to start and hopefully finish. I was to keep the disruption the kids at a minimum if possible.

I thank you for reading this.

regards

Garry
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 11:04 AM

35 posts, read 128,315 times
I agree that San Marcos may not be the best place to raise children. I do not know of the school systems in Kyle. A city called Wimberley used to be nice and may be worth looking into...
If you have the means I would recommend private education for your children. The public school systems here in Austin are saturated with under-achievers from the top down.

Old 08-04-2007, 11:26 AM

6,208 posts, read 16,025,217 times
Quote:
The public school systems here in Austin are saturated with under-achievers from the top down.
I'll disagree with that. There are plenty of very good public schools in and around Austin. Search these forums and you'll learn a lot of different opinions.

Without knowing price range, order of priorities, age of kids, tolerance for commuting distances, tolerance or desire for older/newer homes, square footage space, number of bedrooms needed, etc., it's hard to recommend a specific area for your needs.

Steve

Old 08-04-2007, 12:23 PM

2,237 posts, read 8,257,686 times
New Braunfels is like San Marcos without the college students and with good schools. I'd look there before SM and I absolutely love SM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or