Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Gov. Rick Perry make a good U.S. President?
Yes. 11 15.94%
No. 54 78.26%
I don't know 4 5.80%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 PM

355 posts, read 919,785 times

Advertisements

Can't stand him.

But I laugh every time I see him because I remember a writer from The New York Times once described him as looking like a character from the TV show Bonanza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 01:05 PM

75 posts, read 172,930 times
I think the only Texas support you will find for Rick Perry would be a conservative christian evangelical board.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,796,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie_B View Post
I think the only Texas support you will find for Rick Perry would be a conservative christian evangelical board.
I think Kay Bailey Hutchison, Bill White, Chris Bell, and Tony Sanchez might disagree. Being re-elected 3 times, and serving as the longest running governor, I think technically he's received more total votes from Texans than anyone else in history running for anything. Maybe GWB had more total votes from Texans between 2 gubernatorial and 2 presidential elections, but I bet it's close.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:39 PM

12,868 posts, read 13,179,618 times
The biggest reason Perry increased his vote numbers from a 37% plurality to an actual majority this past election is because of the anti-Obama backlash, IMO.

That disaster in DC rubbed off on Bill White whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Plus under Perry's watch Texas has weathered the recession storm better than most states and has been the best job "creator" in the US.

Having said that, I still do not like him and wouldn't **** on him if his hair was on fire. Or....maybe I would.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:15 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,319,340 times
Default Republican?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Exactly.

You are misquoting this old Texas saying. It's from the days when Texas was a Yellow Dog Democrat state, and it actually goes, "I'd vote for a yellow dog if it was a Democrat."

Now, think a minute about what that really says about the ability and willingness of the voter to think about the issues and the quality of the particular candidate beyond the fact that he or she is a Democrat.
Or a Republican!

Old 06-04-2011, 07:26 AM

264 posts, read 698,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
The only real Republican in the presidential race is Ron Paul. Rick Perry is a Rhino, beholden to more special interest groups than I can even imagine.
That also describes any politician. Both sides of the aisle are puppets to big money & special interests. That's why the only answer is Ron Paul.

As far as Perry, if the Republicans want four more years of Obama, go ahead and nominate him as your candidate. I'm sure I'll end up voting for the Constitution Party candidate again.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:11 PM

629 posts, read 1,646,306 times
I thought this article I ran across today was appropriate:

Top 10 Things Texas Gov. Rick Perry Doesn

I thought these were the most damning...click the link above to see the others.

Quote:
(1) PERRY ALLOWED THE EXECUTION OF A LIKELY INNOCENT MAN, THEN IMPEDED AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE MATTER: In 2004, Cameron Todd Willingham was executed in Huntsville, Texas after being convicted of arson and the murder of his three children. Even after significant evidence emerged showing that arson had not caused the fire (thus exonerating Willingham), Perry refused to grant a stay of execution. Five years after Willingham was executed, a report from a Texas Forensic Science Commission investigator found that the fire could not have been arson. As the commission prepared to hear testimony from the investigator in October 2009, Perry quickly fired and replaced three of its members, forcing an indefinite delay in the hearing.
Quote:
(5) PERRY DESIGNATED AS “EMERGENCY LEGISLATION” A BILL REQUIRING ALL WOMEN SEEKING ABORTIONS TO HAVE SONOGRAMS FIRST: In January, Perry proposed requiring all women seeking abortions to have a sonogram at least 24 hours before the procedure. Under the bill, doctors would be required to “tell a woman the size of her fetus’ limbs and organs, even if she does not want to know.” Before a woman is permitted to have an abortion, physicians are also forced to provide an image of the fetus and make the woman listen to the sound of its heartbeat. Perry designated his proposal as “emergency legislation,” allowing the bill to be rushed through the legislature. He signed it into law last month.
Quote:
(6) PERRY GUTTED CHILDCARE SERVICES EVEN AS TEXAS CHILDHOOD POVERTY HIT 25 PERCENT: Facing a $27 billion budget deficit this year, Perry decided to gut child support services, despite a report from the Center for Public Policy Priorities that found nearly one in four Texas children lived beneath the poverty line. Instead of raising revenue like California, a state facing a similarly sized deficit, Perry scaled back more than $10 billion of child support over two years. As Think Progress’ Pat Garofalo noted, these cuts were proposed despite Texas’ possession of a $8.2 billion rainy day fund.
Quote:
(8) PERRY IS A STIMULUS HYPOCRITE WHO LOUDLY CRITICIZED FEDERAL RECOVERY MONEY BUT USED IT TO BALANCE HIS STATE’S BUDGET: As the nation struggled to avoid economic collapse in 2009, Perry was a vocal critic of Congress’s recovery package, even advocating that Texas reject the money because “we can take care of ourselves.” Months later, after Perry was able to balance the state’s budget only with the aid of billions in federal stimulus dollars, Perry again repeated that he would reject federal funding, arguing that the government “spends money they don’t have.” Five months later, Perry again took advantage of federal funding to issue $2 billion in bonds for highway improvements in Texas. Even so, the state faces a $27 billion budget deficit.
No thanks, I think I'll pass on Perry for POTUS.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:43 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,254,571 times
Absolutely. Perry would make a great President for this country. As president he could bring all of the wonderful traits of his home state into the white house. Big changes would occur throughout the country to match the 2nd largest state.

1.) Rise up to the worldwide leader in toxic waste and ozone pollution and make jokes on international television how humans have nothing to do with global warming.

2.) Require all households in the country to own at least one pickup or SUV. Ban the use of all Toyota Prius' and Honda Insights in this country.

3.) Cut all education spending by 3/4 and put the money toward training all united states citizens on how to use firearms.

4.) Get rid of all border patrols and build new bridges into the states of Texas, Arizona, California, and New Mexico to keep the illegals pouring into this country even faster.

5.) Pass legislation that would allow Texas to annex Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Louisiana to make it even larger!!!

OMG, i crack myself up. How about Perry/Palin 2012?? Only in Texas baby!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
This question is aimed at those leaning to the right, who would vote GOP regardless of the candidate. Do you think Rick Perry would make a good president?

Austin news, sports, weather, Longhorns, business | Statesman.com

I was personally leaning towards Romney as he seemed the most respectable candidate (despite the Mass. health care law), but if Perry throws his hat in the ring, I would support him whole heartedly. Granted, Perry takes a harder line than most in the GOP, and would be a heavy swing of the political pendulum (much like what we had in 2008), but his fiscal hawkishness may be what the country needs over the next decade.

In the true spirit of electoral anonimity, the voters identitities are kept secret.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:06 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,561,807 times
I am not sure the rest of the USA (or the world) is ready for another Texan in the Whitehouse!

I know some of you liked President G.W.Bush a lot, but I think he made it difficult for another Texan to win for some time, he left a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouths!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,788,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
I am not sure the rest of the USA (or the world) is ready for another Texan in the Whitehouse!

I know some of you liked President G.W.Bush a lot, but I think he made it difficult for another Texan to win for some time, he left a lot of people with a bad taste in their mouths!
Including a lot of native Texan Republicans like me........

But his opponents were so much worse in every race he ran, from the governor on up.

You also have to remember that NEITHER Bush was a Texan--they're an East Coast family to the bone.

I think that people forgot that, but it always stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Nothing wrong with East Coast, but claiming to be a Texan when you aren't is quite another matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin