Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:42 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give input on above ground pools? Are they less expensive? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 04:32 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Yes, they are less expensive. However, they also hurt resale as they are not terribly desirable and even if they are removed, the grass will need to be replaced. Also, most homeowners' and neighborhood associations don't allow them.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:33 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Also wanted to add that because they are so shallow, the water often gets downright hot in our long summers, making them not-so-refreshing.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
If you just want something for small kids to cool off in, you can get something pretty good sized as cheap as $70 from Toys R Us. It would probably be disposable after a summer and as stated above would ruin any grass (if you have any grass still living after this drought).

Pools - Swimming Pools - Toys "R" Us

Old 06-02-2011, 09:36 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
As the other poster stated, they are less expensive, but I don't think they are even worth the couple thousand dollar price tag.

I've seen one completely collapse and flood a backyard. That might have been a rare exception, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

We priced inground pools, and the quotes were 40 - 65K. We decided we'll just wait another year or two. In the meantime, the kids can use the community pool.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
I have seen numerous nice installations with above ground pools. They are very inexpensive compared to in ground pools and the water is just as nice to swim in. Check out their photos, the installations can be very nice when combined with a raised deck. Like anything else, its all in how you do it.

Here is one Austin company that installs them. A-TEX Family Fun Center - Austin, TX

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-02-2011 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 02:31 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I have seen numerous nice installations with above ground pools. They are very inexpensive compared to in ground pools and the water is just as nice to swim in. Check out their photos, the installations can be very nice when combined with a raised deck. Like anything else, its all in how you do it.

Here is one Austin company that installs them. A-TEX Family Fun Center - Hot Tubs, Spas, Pools, Pool Tables, Shuffleboard, Foosball, Air Hockey - Austin, TX
Oh, wow. You're right. That's a pretty nice looking above ground. I've never seen that kind of installation. What is the longevity?

Old 06-02-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
As the other poster stated, they are less expensive, but I don't think they are even worth the couple thousand dollar price tag.

I've seen one completely collapse and flood a backyard. That might have been a rare exception, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

We priced inground pools, and the quotes were 40 - 65K. We decided we'll just wait another year or two. In the meantime, the kids can use the community pool.
Perhaps you did not mean it that way, but that sounds rather elitist. Some people can't afford a $40k pool, so why shouldn't they enjoy a $2K pool? So what if one collapses and floods a backyard. Risk? What is the worst that would happen? The grass would get wet.

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-02-2011 at 02:52 PM..

Old 06-02-2011, 02:54 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
That sounds rather elitist. Some people can't afford a $40k pool, so why shouldn't they enjoy a $2K pool? So what if one collapses and floods a backyard. Risk? What is the worst that would happen? The grass would get wet.
Methinks that post was fired off a little quickly.

Lets see...walls collapse, hit a child, thousands of gallons of water later, child is seriously injured(or worse). Same could happen to an adult if the structure failed catastrophically...metal, airtight vinyl, ladder, chairs, etc all moving toward a surprised swimmer, dozing floater, tired child.

Never mind those 5-20 thousand gallons of water headed toward your neighbor's back door.

I built swimming pools during college(just one summer). That was eons ago, but I'm betting the weight of water hasn't changed in that time. All it takes is one rambunctious child to cause a failure in a pool wall. Things can go south pretty quickly after that.

Just sayin'.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
Oh, wow. You're right. That's a pretty nice looking above ground. I've never seen that kind of installation. What is the longevity?
According to How Long Do Things Last? What's The Life Expectancy Of Home Components? wooden decks last around 20 years, next to a pool I'd expect it would be more like 15 years because of the wetting. If the pool is taken care of I don't see any reason the pool liner wouldn't last at least that long if it is covered when not being used often.

Swimming Pools Cleaning Equipment 7-10 years Concrete Shell 25 years Decking 15 years Interior Finish – pebble-tec 25-35 years Interior Finish – plaster 10-15 years Interior Finish – tile 15-25 years Waterline Tile 10 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin