U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,314,160 times

Advertisements

I know Galveston is terrible, but would you say that one would swim in the water in Port A? I am asking this board because there seems to be quite a few people on here who have been there. Husband is from the east coast and doesn't see the point in TX beaches. I see his point but it is all we have short of flying somewhere. I just like listening to the waves. Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 01:39 PM

13,617 posts, read 30,313,325 times
We go to Pt. A each year and swim in the water. It is typically not super clear due to the fine sand, but it is not really polluted, just turbid. Anyway, on especially lucky days when the waves are small enough and the tide is right, you will get crystal clear water.

The bigger issue is whether or not there is a sea-weed 'event' - there is quite a bit of discussion on C-D somewhere about it, but it can make the beach pretty nasty for a while.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM

16,772 posts, read 43,246,174 times
Yes, I would not hesitate to swim at the Port A beaches. If you are willing to drive 7 hours to South Padre Island the water is less silty and they have nice beaches. The drive to Port A is a little less then 4 yours. We enjoy visiting Port A to see the shrimp boats, coastal birds and dolphins. There are also some stone jetties you can walk out on way out into the gulf where you can watch the fishermen and often see dolphins going in and out. If you drive to Port A you can ride a car ferry boat across the intercoastal waterway to get there, which is kind of fun, We often see dolphins during the crossing.

See the comparisons here. //www.city-data.com/forum/corpu...veston-vs.html

Old 06-07-2011, 02:06 PM

9,326 posts, read 9,266,275 times
Last May or June there was a big seaweed depost on the beach at Port A. but it's usually just fine. We love staying at the Sandcastle condos:

Old 06-07-2011, 10:35 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,108,114 times
If you have ever been to Florida beaches then Port A is like the gulf coast beaches of Florida.
S. Padre though can have days of crystal clear water similar to the east coast beaches of Florida.
Port A reminds me of St. Petersburg Beach while South Padre reminds me of Ft. Lauderdale Beach.

Old 06-07-2011, 11:26 PM

6,944 posts, read 12,348,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
I know Galveston is terrible, but would you say that one would swim in the water in Port A? I am asking this board because there seems to be quite a few people on here who have been there. Husband is from the east coast and doesn't see the point in TX beaches. I see his point but it is all we have short of flying somewhere. I just like listening to the waves. Thoughts?
Has he been to port aransas? Port aransas, north padre and south padre are just as nice if nicer than the east coast beaches (north east coast). Florida is a different story.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:07 PM

34 posts, read 151,782 times
My wife is from Austin and we have vacationed in PA the past three summers (we live in the Seattle area) with her family.

The condition of the beach and water is largely depending on the storms in the area. 2 out of 3 years years the water and beach have been in poor condition. Is the water swimmable?? For the most part. It is very dirty and has alot of sea weed and weeds floating in it. Last year over the 4th of July holiday was the worst we have seen the water and beach and it was almost inhabitable. The beaches were covered (I mean literally covered) with seaweed and bull dozers would clear out strips in the morning and throughout the day leaving large walls of sea weed. In the heat, they would begin to rot and smell and it was very unpleasant. The water was full of sea weed and a bark like substance that would stick to you.

We love PA..being from Seattle we loved the weather and the beach atmosphere of the town. The beaches are not the best and last year bordered on gross and nasty.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:53 PM

648 posts, read 1,762,956 times
"The beaches were covered (I mean literally covered) with seaweed and bull dozers would clear out strips in the morning and throughout the day leaving large walls of sea weed. In the heat, they would begin to rot and smell and it was very unpleasant."

Was there this past weekend. Unfortunately, this describes the state of the beaches. Also, so weird and agressive sand fleas.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,108,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
"The beaches were covered (I mean literally covered) with seaweed and bull dozers would clear out strips in the morning and throughout the day leaving large walls of sea weed. In the heat, they would begin to rot and smell and it was very unpleasant."

Was there this past weekend. Unfortunately, this describes the state of the beaches. Also, so weird and agressive sand fleas.
But the Gulf is not static. It changes..one week beautiful and the next the shore is full of seaweed.

The weather, the tide all play a part. You just take a chance when you travel down to the beach. If you live there..then you just wait it out.

If you think the smell of rotting seaweed is bad try going to the beach after a "red tide" event with hundreds of rotting fish on the beach

Haven't experienced that in Texas yet but I did many a time when I lived in Florida.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 PM

1,938 posts, read 5,978,033 times
It's better than no beach at all but we had a varied experience with each day at Port A. One day the beach was clear, the next it was wall to wall jelly fish...literally. The dads were taking big sand shovels and lopping jelly fish in one piled area so that the little ones would at least have some beach to play on unencumbered. Probably not very PC to touch them but the suckers were huge. Also a good bit of trash at the Padre National Seashore when we went there. Just keep your expectations in check and you'll be okay. Cali or FL beach it is not...but again, it's better than nothing. I would recommend South Padre if you have the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin