Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:12 PM

509 posts, read 1,543,637 times

Advertisements

Once you start your program, you'll likely meet a lot of people. Maybe one of them with a car will offer to take you shopping. The only grocery store type delivery in Austin that I've come across is
Greenling - Local food and Organic produce and groceries home delivered - Austin and San Antonio
but they're on the pricey side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 02:54 PM

554 posts, read 1,745,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextstopAustin View Post
Good God. Y'know at some point, Mr. Burns' plan to cover the sun must begin to sound like a good idea. Just saying.

And no, I don't have my driver's license. It's a whole big expensive process in my hometown here and having gone to college in NYC it was never a necessity.....I was thinking of getting it at some point this year in texas.
It's not as hot as it sounds. I would suggest enrolling in driving school when you get here and getting your license. You don't need to own a car but having the option to rent one will come in handy. Soem fo the cab services in town have minivan cabs so you might be able to use them if you need larger items. If you totally get stuck though pm me here a few days in advance and I will help you out in return for cash. I have car and large suv and know it can be tough to move to new place.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:12 PM

161 posts, read 385,259 times
If you live in Hyde Park, the cab faire from Central Market is usually no more than $6 or $7 dollars.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:23 PM

97 posts, read 182,098 times
Yes, getting my diver's license is definitely starting to climb up the to-do list (Zipcar is a great advice btw, thank you!)!

I more or less know how to handle a car (took driver's ed way back in high school) but I've been reading these discussions for a while now and erm, y'all are insane down there so I might as well learn all over while there. (Call it a hunch but I'm guessing that driving in Austin isn't the same as the suburbs of winter-time Canada).

Follow-up:
how prevalent/easy to get are cabs in Austin/Hyde Park? Is it a phone-call-system you call and they come straight to your door?

(I know i'm the in-for-a-rude-120F-degree-awakening NYer but I could splurge definitely on six dollars a month for bulk groceries).

Old 11-23-2012, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 929 times
I got on google and typed grocieries delivered in Austin texas. They gave me a list of places that grocery shop for you. like $35.00 and hour and the cost of groceries.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:47 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,413,140 times
That thread was from more than a year ago, but I'll add that in many areas of the country, particularly in Eastern urban areas, groceries offer delivery service. You do your own shopping, but arrange for the store to deliver to you. Sometimes it's free within a certain area, sometimes it's a $10 charge (and a tip for the delivery guy, natch), or somesuch. There may be such delivery service offered somewhere in Austin, but if so, I've never seen it.

By now the OP has certainly discovered that there is a small grocery right in Hyde Park, called Fresh Plus, and that Hyde Park is very walkable. And closer than Central market, and more affordable, is the H.E.B. Supermarket at Hancock Center, 41st & Red River, just on the edge of Hyde Park, where a LOT of UT folks shop. And it even has a metro bus terminal than can make public transit work for some people.

Or you can call for a cab. Typically a 30+ minute wait, IF one is available. The cab service in Austin is horrible, part of the reason the Car2Go program is so successful in Austin... and is heavily used in the Hyde Park area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin