Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,011,493 times

Advertisements

Hey ScoPro what was Colt McCoy's wife saying about football indiscretions at UT?

Most Dallas and Houston natives love Austin (except for Aggies). We don't like seeing it change either. And sometimes we aren't all that crazy about being popular - 6.5 million in Dallas area and another million predicted every seven years - yikes!

I think what we do resent is when non-Texans feel that Austin is the only cool place in Texas and/that is not redneck and racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 03:29 PM

12,867 posts, read 13,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Hey ScoPro what was Colt McCoy's wife saying about football indiscretions at UT?

Not a thing to implicate anybody except to criticize college boosters in general.

It sure got the haters stirred up, though....all for nothing.

But I'll bet Colt wasn't too happy about her embarassing herself.

But "old Austin"? Just what and where is that? Austin has never remained static, unless you want to count the time Sam Houston moved the Republic of Texas congress over to Houston and let ol' Waterloo languish until statehood.

I liked the Austin of the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, & '90s.....then moved up by Round Rock. Still like it down there, in spite of all the state & local wingnut politicians infesting the place.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,791,124 times
Old Austin = whatever decade the person referring it to was in their 20s or earlier. Just look at the picture of the author of the article, it tells you all you need to know.

Today's Austin is the good old Austin of 20 years from now for all the young people who live here now. I'd wager they are having the best years of their life, and they could care less about the Armadillo.

And in 20 years, just like they do now, people in Dallas and Houston will still write about Austin and wonder why people like it so much when "they have all that cool stuff too!". You can bank on that.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Old Austin = whatever decade the person referring it to was in their 20s or earlier. Just look at the picture of the author of the article, it tells you all you need to know.

Today's Austin is the good old Austin of 20 years from now for all the young people who live here now. I'd wager they are having the best years of their life, and they could care less about the Armadillo.

And in 20 years, just like they do now, people in Dallas and Houston will still write about Austin and wonder why people like it so much when "they have all that cool stuff too!". You can bank on that.
That's about what I was saying, but you said it better.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM

662 posts, read 1,444,598 times
I just moved to Austin last year as a mother of two middle schoolers. We had lived in Plano, a suburb of Dallas. We miss the great schools and the ethnic diversity of Plano, but we love the hills here and the number of people outside enjoying the scenery while running, walking, biking, etc. We love all the food trucks and festivals too. My twenties were spent in Madison, WI, during the eighties when the hippy era was over, but there were still remnants. I completely agree with ATXCIO that we all remember our twenties fondly. Madison is still one of my favorite places in the world.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
I just moved to Austin last year as a mother of two middle schoolers. We had lived in Plano, a suburb of Dallas. We miss the great schools and the ethnic diversity of Plano, but we love the hills here and the number of people outside enjoying the scenery while running, walking, biking, etc. We love all the food trucks and festivals too. My twenties were spent in Madison, WI, during the eighties when the hippy era was over, but there were still remnants. I completely agree with ATXCIO that we all remember our twenties fondly. Madison is still one of my favorite places in the world.
Madison - I hear it's a lot like Austin.....but cooler weather.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 AM

547 posts, read 1,429,531 times
The article just reeked of resentment and jealousy. He goes to the college area of west 6th street and then complains that he sees frat-boy type college guys? He goes to the ultra-trendy warehouse district and then complains that it's trendy? What's next, going to the football stadium and being shocked(!) to find football going on?

Maybe Austin really is superior...because the Austin Chron would never have to issue a seven page hit piece on another city to feel good about itself.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:40 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,025,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

This is absolutely accurate. I am guilty of the same thing with Seattle. I moved there in 85 when I was about to turn 19 and to me Seattle will never be as great as it was in the late eighties.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM

659 posts, read 1,370,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffettjr View Post
The article just reeked of resentment and jealousy. He goes to the college area of west 6th street and then complains that he sees frat-boy type college guys? He goes to the ultra-trendy warehouse district and then complains that it's trendy? What's next, going to the football stadium and being shocked(!) to find football going on?

Maybe Austin really is superior...because the Austin Chron would never have to issue a seven page hit piece on another city to feel good about itself.
Interesting to note that the piece was also run in the Dallas Observer. Jealous of Austin? Really, that's rich. I think that the article was pretty much on mark regarding the Austitude and how the influx of people from out of state has essentially changed Austin (for the worse).

Old 06-15-2011, 12:41 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,253,410 times
I agree. Madison is a great town, but haven't been up there in probably 6 or 7 years. It's pretty much what Austin was back in the 70's and early 80's. State capitol, based around UW, two good size lakes, hilly, etc. However, one city became very arrogant and wanted to "attempt" to hang with the "big boys". Can you guess which one??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Madison - I hear it's a lot like Austin.....but cooler weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin