Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:27 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times

Advertisements

The article in the paper today mentioned that Ward had his "fiancee" call Acevedo. I'm sorry to hear he's divorced, but, how many of us can call the police chief to find out when we'll be released?
Prosecutor says evidence lacking in DWI arrest of radio host Jeff Ward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
The article in the paper today mentioned that Ward had his "fiancee" call Acevedo. I'm sorry to hear he's divorced, but, how many of us can call the police chief to find out when we'll be released?
Prosecutor says evidence lacking in DWI arrest of radio host Jeff Ward
No "special" treatment?

Sorry Jeff, but nobody I know has Acevedo's personal number.

But yeah, you're screwed by the system.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
The dashcam video has been released. Here's a link. He looks fine to me. Frankly, the cop seemed to be kind of a jerk. Jeff got annoyed after 20 minutes of sobriety tests and refused to do any more. I don't blame him. He does not seem impaired at all.

Austin Local News - APD video of Jeff Ward arrest

Old 06-15-2011, 08:15 AM

BTW, I didn't know he was divorced either. That's really sad. I used to love Phyllis' football predictions.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:56 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
The dashcam video has been released. Here's a link. He looks fine to me. Frankly, the cop seemed to be kind of a jerk. Jeff got annoyed after 20 minutes of sobriety tests and refused to do any more. I don't blame him. He does not seem impaired at all.

Austin Local News - APD video of Jeff Ward arrest
How humiliating. That was difficult to watch. The cop was a clown, a true db idiot.

I've supported the police for a long time, giving benefit of of the doubt in the high profile headline stories. But after watching this, there is no amount of stupidity I think beyond the average Austin cop. There is no longer any accusation that I'll dismiss as too wild or out there. This cop was an unprofessional moron and should be relieved of duty.

But, oh yeah, the cops who get arrested for drunk driving themselves cannot be fired under union rules.

JW is exonerated in full by this video, and I hope he gives APD hell for it.

Steve

Old 06-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
How humiliating. That was difficult to watch. The cop was a clown, a true db idiot.

I've supported the police for a long time, giving benefit of of the doubt in the high profile headline stories. But after watching this, there is no amount of stupidity I think beyond the average Austin cop. There is no longer any accusation that I'll dismiss as too wild or out there. This cop was an unprofessional moron and should be relieved of duty.

But, oh yeah, the cops who get arrested for drunk driving themselves cannot be fired under union rules.

JW is exonerated in full by this video, and I hope he gives APD hell for it.

Steve
I agree about the DWI cops not being fired because of union rules, but they're just one more example of how being close to the cookie jar (like Jeff Ward) keeps you from feeling the punishment that the rest of us would feel. There was a great editorial from a DWI defense attorney in the paper that detailed the preferential treatment Jeff Ward got:
Phillips: DWI case's unusual outcome raises some questions about equal treatment

Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I agree about the DWI cops not being fired because of union rules, but they're just one more example of how being close to the cookie jar (like Jeff Ward) keeps you from feeling the punishment that the rest of us would feel. There was a great editorial from a DWI defense attorney in the paper that detailed the preferential treatment Jeff Ward got:
Phillips: DWI case's unusual outcome raises some questions about equal treatment
According to that article, "They (the DA) almost never dismiss a DWI case." That's not true. 1/3 of all DWI charges in Travis County are dismissed. In fact, the high dismissal rate is what led Art Acevedo to start no refusal weekends. I'm not saying Jeff Ward's case wasn't dismissed faster than most; but if he were a "regular" person, chances are the charges would have still been dropped eventually.

I think the chief had Jeff's dropped so quickly because he was obviously not drunk, the arresting officer was a jackass, and the chief wanted it to go away to avoid even more embarrassment.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
According to that article, "They (the DA) almost never dismiss a DWI case." That's not true. 1/3 of all DWI charges in Travis County are dismissed. In fact, the high dismissal rate is what led Art Acevedo to start no refusal weekends. I'm not saying Jeff Ward's case wasn't dismissed faster than most; but if he were a "regular" person, chances are the charges would have still been dropped eventually.

I think the chief had Jeff's dropped so quickly because he was obviously not drunk, the arresting officer was a jackass, and the chief wanted it to go away to avoid even more embarrassment.
Key word: eventually. Jeff avoided lots of headaches, money, and time by having Art Acevedo's cell/home number and using it. It was a sleazy thing to do- especially someone who is so vocally critical of others. I've lost all respect for him and have no interest in listening to him again. It's too bad, because I've enjoyed his libertarian leanings. My mistake was thinking of him as a journalist, when he's obviously more of an entertainer.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Key word: eventually. Jeff avoided lots of headaches, money, and time by having Art Acevedo's cell/home number and using it. It was a sleazy thing to do- especially someone who is so vocally critical of others. I've lost all respect for him and have no interest in listening to him again. It's too bad, because I've enjoyed his libertarian leanings. My mistake was thinking of him as a journalist, when he's obviously more of an entertainer.

A talk show host is almost never a journalist. He picks and chooses the items he reports - just like the national talk show hosts. He is not objective and never has been.

As for his arrest - he doesn't look intoxicated based on the video. But calling Acevedo is a pretty special thing for him to be able to do. Absolutely special treatement by APD. Ward saved himself lots of attorney fees getting this dismissed so quickly.

Last edited by hoffdano; 06-21-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:

Phillips was saying Jeff ward wwas fast tracked to dismissal because he is a celebrity. That's called preferential treatment in the ordinary person's book.

But the DWI rules are terrible, as a totally innocent driver still has to suffer consequences & penalties (jail, impoundment fees, loss of license) even if the charges are dismissed.

Those rules need to be changed, as they seem to be unconstitutional and do not follow the axiom "innocent until proven guilty".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: