Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 2,866 times

Advertisements

So I'm a recent culinary school graduate. I currently live in New Jersey and there's not much for me out here in the Baking and Pastry field. I'm looking to relocate to Austin in hopes of more opportunity. I'm wondering if anyone can help me, give me some information about Austin and the food scene. I hear it's great and all but I'm talking employment. Is there much out there in the pastry field? Preferably bigger companies, hotels, whole foods, and what not. I know they exist but are they looking? Also, say I don't find the job I'm looking for and I take a minimum wage job. Can I afford expenses? Expenses being driving/gas, apartment (rent, utilities), food....the necessities, the basics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 07:11 PM

322 posts, read 847,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvales18 View Post
So I'm a recent culinary school graduate. I currently live in New Jersey and there's not much for me out here in the Baking and Pastry field. I'm looking to relocate to Austin in hopes of more opportunity. I'm wondering if anyone can help me, give me some information about Austin and the food scene. I hear it's great and all but I'm talking employment. Is there much out there in the pastry field? Preferably bigger companies, hotels, whole foods, and what not. I know they exist but are they looking? Also, say I don't find the job I'm looking for and I take a minimum wage job. Can I afford expenses? Expenses being driving/gas, apartment (rent, utilities), food....the necessities, the basics.

Regardless of the food scene, I would strongly recommend NOT moving here unless you have at least 6 months living expenses. It will take a while for you to orient yourself, find employment, room mates and figure out how much money you need. There is a culinary school here already that pumps out graduates. Currently the trend is towards food trailers. Your guess is as good as mine as far as how long that will last.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:34 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,101,771 times
LOTS of culinary school graduates here! Lots of all kinds of graduates (business, law, marketing, as well as every type of social science and humanities students too). Hence, Austin has always been a low-wage town with over-educated people dishing out yogurt or serving drinks. Without a network here, your chances are very slim.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 2,866 times
Thanks! I definitely forgot about the culinary schools in the area and they could easily pose a problem. I'm working on building a network but who knows how that will go.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM

399 posts, read 1,803,125 times
To answer your second question: the cost of living here is very reasonable and you could definitely get buy with a lower paying hourly job.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 PM

293 posts, read 730,397 times
Minimum wage and living alone? No.

Living with a roommate in the suburbs? Doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: