Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:05 AM

49 posts, read 107,668 times

Advertisements

We have been searching all over the US to find home. We have a handful of places in mind and my husband has always like Austin. We live in Charlotte and it is just WAY to conservative for us. I have been on here tons asking questions on different areas and we have settled on looking in 3 different states. We are also interested in san Antonio but I hear Austin is a very liberal city.

We want a place that is liberal like I said, open minded, a good diverse mix of people. Obviously family oriented since we have two little ones and a lot of outdoor activity.

Is this Austin??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 07:17 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
Are you looking for a job or moving with one in hand or just moving and hoping you find something? What is the price range you want to look at. You are going to find a liberal area in a few downtown areas but the rest is pretty much like the rest of Texas. I have seen a wide range of folks around but its not the Northeast by any means. Ask some more specific questions and you might get some more answers, if you do a search you might also get some answers to your questions also.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:10 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,581,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissys74 View Post
We have been searching all over the US to find home. We have a handful of places in mind and my husband has always like Austin. We live in Charlotte and it is just WAY to conservative for us. I have been on here tons asking questions on different areas and we have settled on looking in 3 different states. We are also interested in san Antonio but I hear Austin is a very liberal city.

We want a place that is liberal like I said, open minded, a good diverse mix of people. Obviously family oriented since we have two little ones and a lot of outdoor activity.

Is this Austin??
Austin is good for families. Make sure that you and your husband could find jobs before moving. It is a smaller town with fewer opportunities in some fields. There are people in Austin who are liberal and open-minded. However I agree with the person that said Austin is mainly liberal in comparison to Texas. It's not SF. There are many conservative people here as well. The more family-oriented areas are mostly in the suburbs. Those areas tend to be more conservative, like the rest of Texas. In terms of diversity, Austin is predominantly white and Hispanic.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:36 AM

648 posts, read 1,964,387 times
If I lived in Charlotte, I wouldn't move to Austin just for liberal folks. I miss a decent beach in driving distance. Post on meet up or something to find similarly minded folks. Plus, it may be more expensive here than Charlotte.....well, if you live in the city with the liberal folks. More conservative the further outside the city core you go.

Also, severe under-employment pervades in Austin.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:43 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
The most liberal and modern city in Texas is Dallas, Texas. Dallas is the San Fransisco of Texas.

Austin is more of a large country bumpkin hill country village with some towers and condos here and there: some festivals here and there: some liberal front groups and astroturfing here and there: some lakes and hills here or there: football, BBQ, and small pubs are popular past times.

San Antonio used to be very good and fun when I used to hang out there many years ago. However, I've read and heard about constant political and social upheaval pervasively invading San Antonio in recent years.

I'm a minority and I love big, diverse, and modern cities. You want Dallas if you must move to Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissys74 View Post
We are also interested in san Antonio but I hear Austin is a very liberal city.

Is this Austin??

Old 06-18-2011, 09:00 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,510 times
Quote:
Dallas is the San Fransisco of Texas.
Thanks for the laugh!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:19 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Dallas is liberal the same way Austin is. You'll find more liberals in or near the City center and more conservatives out in the suburbs. Austin, in my experience, isn't any more liberal than any other city in Texas although all of the Cities have different vibes and attributes. Boulder, Colorado is more liberal than Austin.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:07 PM

49 posts, read 107,668 times
Thanks for the responses!

Old 06-18-2011, 04:24 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
No way. There is a big difference. Austin has a big liberal astroturf front group.

Dallas values and respects independence more than simply "liberalism".

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Dallas is liberal the same way Austin is. You'll find more liberals in or near the City center and more conservatives out in the suburbs. Austin, in my experience, isn't any more liberal than any other city in Texas although all of the Cities have different vibes and attributes. Boulder, Colorado is more liberal than Austin.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:39 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I'm not sure Dallas values that more than Austin, but Austin does like to toot it's own horn about how liberal it is and I don't hear that as much from liberal Dallasites. I have lots of family in Dallas so spend just enough time there to have an opinion about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin