Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,604 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm from Houston. I'm starting my nursing program in Aug this year at Texas State Univ, School of Nursing, Round Rock and need some help about how to get decent and affordable accommodation close to campus.

What areas should I be looking at?
Areas to avoid?
Specific apartment complexes to consider.
Price range, etc.

My budget is around $500.

Appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 06:48 AM

322 posts, read 847,112 times
With that budget, you are going to need a room mate. I haven't seen an apartment for $500 in years. The SON is pretty far north in Round Rock. You might consider an apartment in Georgetown rather than Austin. It is closer. There are plenty of complexes in Round Rock, though. Just none in your price range.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:18 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Since the SON is on University/1431, right there in Round Rock would be a better option than Georgetown. There are a bunch of newer apartments right there around Teravista touted as luxury places, but I think they start in the $700 range for 1 bedroom places and they might be a bit noisy with students.

As cmaxmor stated, a roomate would be one option and would allow you to share a place with another student basically within walking distance (definitely by bike). Otherwise, it looks like 1 bedrooms and studios start out in the high $500 to low $600 range even in Round Rock when just taking a quick look. Really, just about any location within a couple miles of the SON would be a safe area. I wouldn't say that there are any real big city type unsafe areas at all in all of Round Rock, but some areas are a bit more rundown with more petty type crime (property crime, drug use) than others (again extremely mild compared to most cities).

It sounds like you should probably meet with a free apartment locator to see if anything like what you're looking for actually exists in your price range that is very close to the SON. You'll see a bunch of apartments pop up in your searches for North Austin around Braker/Rundberg close to I-35 and all of those should be avoided for both safety and distance to the SON.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,604 times
Thanks guys. I've only lived in Houston & San Antonio and not familiar at all with Austin. Seems I have to up my budget a bit, may be $600. A room mate may be a last option.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:37 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Jay View Post
Thanks guys. I've only lived in Houston & San Antonio and not familiar at all with Austin. Seems I have to up my budget a bit, may be $600. A room mate may be a last option.
I had a 2 bed/2 bath apartment in RR in 06 for $705... I bet there are complexes in RR with 1/1's in your range, but they won't be nice, luxury apartments. There are some at the 79/Sunrise or Georgetown area... a couple off Gattis School. Heading north into Georgetown is likely a good option as well as others have suggested - I just don't know specific complexes.

The apartments built directly across from the school were built with you in mind - student moving to State or ACC nursing (when finished) that wants to living within walking distance and hopefully has a loan burning money in their pockets. I've never checked but I assume they're way out of your range. When my cousin moved here to attend State SON, they were able to just crash w/ a family member.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin