Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:41 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times

Advertisements

I wanted to remind everyone to be safe out there on the roads. I know it is hot out there but don't let it get to your head and go crazy.

Tonight on my way home I turn onto Parmer and I get stuck behind a slower car then a car comes up going at least 80 and rather than a) move to the open left lane or b) slow down, he decides to pass us both in the shoulder. Of course I see him at the next light and I turn into my development. He then pulls out of traffic to cut me off and slams on his brakes. I did my best to stay calm, I shouldn't have rolled down my window but I did. I calmy told him "Sir you were endagering everyone on the road" he then yells at me that I cut him off. unfortunately I only got a partial plate. reported it to the police,

Stay cool out there, people are letting the heat get to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Some people are about 8 years old again when they get behind the wheel.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Some people are about 8 years old again when they get behind the wheel.
The only thing you can do in those situations is try to remain an adult yourself - not get sucked into being a child, too. Glad no one was hurt by that guy.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
The only thing you can do in those situations is try to remain an adult yourself - not get sucked into being a child, too. Glad no one was hurt by that guy.
I agree, it was certainly a tense situation. It was difficult to remain calm.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:54 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
And, of course, he's no doubt posting to some message board about how people drive too slow in Austin and those people are the problem.

Sheesh. Glad it didn't turn into something worse and you're okay!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 AM

554 posts, read 1,745,782 times
Yeah its been crazy lately but I've been trying to relax on the road and get better mpg and tune out the asshats. My strategy is to accelerate slower while still being safe, drive the speed limit, take it easy on the gas, leave larger gaps on the highways, use less gas and brake pedal, and pay more attention to the timing of lights. I have seen an improvement of 4mpg so far and I'm in a much better mood. I also get to places in the same amount of time or faster.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:35 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
It is funny, I read this thread earlier today, and then on the way home I did one of those 'almost changed lanes when I shouldn't' maneuvers - the lane had been empty a moment or two before, so I started to change one lane to the left as I checked over my shoulder. As I did, I saw a BIG white vehicle and I jerked back. I never actually left my lane, or even quite got to the line, but it was an oh-**** moment that happens every now and then.

Anyway, the guy/girl either accelerated to high speed (or maybe already was, explaining why I did not see him before the attempt) and began swinging his vehicle toward me like he was going to hit me or cut me off, actually crossing into my lane and forcing me toward the shoulder. I slowed down, and he/she went on, but that was a bit over the top. Haven't every had that aggressive a reaction anywhere that I can recall.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It is funny, I read this thread earlier today, and then on the way home I did one of those 'almost changed lanes when I shouldn't' maneuvers - the lane had been empty a moment or two before, so I started to change one lane to the left as I checked over my shoulder. As I did, I saw a BIG white vehicle and I jerked back. I never actually left my lane, or even quite got to the line, but it was an oh-**** moment that happens every now and then.

Anyway, the guy/girl either accelerated to high speed (or maybe already was, explaining why I did not see him before the attempt) and began swinging his vehicle toward me like he was going to hit me or cut me off, actually crossing into my lane and forcing me toward the shoulder. I slowed down, and he/she went on, but that was a bit over the top. Haven't every had that aggressive a reaction anywhere that I can recall.
ugh, maybe it is the heat. I'm glad you are ok. I wonder if these people think about the fact that they are in control with a deadly weapon.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:34 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
I always wonder why there are never cops around to see that sort of thing. Those are the really dangerous people on the road, not the good drivers who may be going a few MPH over the limit. (I'm not saying that I support speeding, just that there are more dangerous things that happen on the freeways than low level speeding.)

Old 06-26-2011, 11:28 AM

136 posts, read 328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I always wonder why there are never cops around to see that sort of thing. Those are the really dangerous people on the road, not the good drivers who may be going a few MPH over the limit. (I'm not saying that I support speeding, just that there are more dangerous things that happen on the freeways than low level speeding.)
I've lived here now for 4 years, and other than in Lakeway, I do not recall EVER seeing a cop with anyone pulled over. I guess they just do not patrol. Perhaps someone should get with the city to suggest more of a zero tolerance policy to get some extra money flowing into the coffers. There are certainly more than enough opportunities to write tickets to make such an endeavor quite profitable.

I completely agree - people are nuts on the roads right now. I've been dangerously cut off three times this week on 620 south of 2222. The third time I had enough and very visibly flipped-off the woman, who purposefully sped up, and then zoomed around me (partially in the left-turn lane) as I was obviously changing lanes (with the signal) because I was stuck behind a rig. She acted as though she did nothing wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: