Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 AM

442 posts, read 1,296,848 times

Advertisements

anybody ride their bike in austin? i ride sports bikes and me and my gf are moving down their next week from nyc im so excited. does anybody have any experience on the roads with biking?

my friends that are there says the traffic is bad but i was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences on motorcycles, i.e. the size of the roads and driver safety and such matters . thanks for any responses its appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 11:23 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
My husband rides - R1. I'll try to ask him for his input. The hill country is popular for riding. You dont have to contend with a lot of traffic out there, and there are long stretches of road. Welcome!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:41 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Tons of people riding all the time out on 620, 2222, 360, and other points in the Hill country.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:49 AM

102 posts, read 308,138 times
How about parking downtown? Do you just park in regular car parking spots? Or are there free motorcycle parking spaces anywhere?

Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,078 times
Class "M" licenses owner here.

Owned 3 bikes and almost all 3 times I almost got hit here in Austin.

Sold all 3 bikes and keeping the "M" licenses status, but I be damn to ride a motorcycle in the city of Austin. Idiot ***** drivers that either text or running their mouths on the cell-phones that are looking for an accident to happen!

Old 06-26-2011, 02:57 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
anybody ride their bike in austin? i ride sports bikes and me and my gf are moving down their next week from nyc im so excited. does anybody have any experience on the roads with biking?

my friends that are there says the traffic is bad but i was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences on motorcycles, i.e. the size of the roads and driver safety and such matters . thanks for any responses its appreciated

Haven't ridden in Austin in nearly two years, but before that rode for 10 years there. The roads are okay size wise, but the Austin drivers are really some of the worst in America re: aggressive driving and cutting people off. You must keep your head on a swivel constantly. Many bikers get rear ended simply b/c the car drivers are just so occupied they don't see us stopped at a light.

There is a big sport bike scene in Austin, a few are into the stunt riding and such, some into back road riding ~some are too into and need to take it to a track...canyon carving ~ and some are into riding to destinations via back roads.

Austin is pretty good bike riding area, but watch out for Austin PD (APD), they show no mercy. Austin is also a roving speed trap...and m/c riders are persecuted harshly.

There are some awesome roads to check out. 2222 (!!! caution it's a tricky area that is SLICK and is two lanes w/ no dividers that has little to no margin for error if you're riding quickly. Volente area...this is patrolled by both Travis county Sheriff's and Williamson County Sheriff's. No jokes, they'll write ya up in a heart beat. Mostly cause there are some riders who like to blast up and down there early mornings and late in the evenings...and there are homes built near the roads there. Hence, all the calls and complaints. Hamilton pool road...awesome, awesome, but not one to push too quickly as it has a lot of switch backs and trees near the road that drop leaves on the two lane road leading to some tricky braking areas. Just a few quick areas that are fun, but can be tricky or costly.

Welcome to Texas and good luck.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:01 PM

442 posts, read 1,296,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Haven't ridden in Austin in nearly two years, but before that rode for 10 years there. The roads are okay size wise, but the Austin drivers are really some of the worst in America re: aggressive driving and cutting people off. You must keep your head on a swivel constantly. Many bikers get rear ended simply b/c the car drivers are just so occupied they don't see us stopped at a light.

There is a big sport bike scene in Austin, a few are into the stunt riding and such, some into back road riding ~some are too into and need to take it to a track...canyon carving ~ and some are into riding to destinations via back roads.

Austin is pretty good bike riding area, but watch out for Austin PD (APD), they show no mercy. Austin is also a roving speed trap...and m/c riders are persecuted harshly.

There are some awesome roads to check out. 2222 (!!! caution it's a tricky area that is SLICK and is two lanes w/ no dividers that has little to no margin for error if you're riding quickly. Volente area...this is patrolled by both Travis county Sheriff's and Williamson County Sheriff's. No jokes, they'll write ya up in a heart beat. Mostly cause there are some riders who like to blast up and down there early mornings and late in the evenings...and there are homes built near the roads there. Hence, all the calls and complaints. Hamilton pool road...awesome, awesome, but not one to push too quickly as it has a lot of switch backs and trees near the road that drop leaves on the two lane road leading to some tricky braking areas. Just a few quick areas that are fun, but can be tricky or costly.

Welcome to Texas and good luck.

thank you for the response, and thank you for the welcome. im happy to be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin