U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,047 times

Advertisements

My family lives North Central but we work South Central. We are looking for either:
1. Full-time Daycare Center South Central
2. Someone who would want to participate in a full-time nanny share M-F from about 8:00 a.m. until 5:45 p.m.

Any help you can provide is helpful! We have looked at some daycares around the 290/S. Lamar location, but are having difficulty finding a facility that accepts infants AND toddlers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:32 PM

323 posts, read 772,476 times
No specific advice, but my two cents worth: I have found it is better to have the kids near where you live, as opposed to work. This way the commute time for them is way easier. There is nothing worse than having your kiddo fall asleep during the hour long commute home and then not want to go to bed. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 PM

589 posts, read 1,651,217 times
If you go with daycare, make sure you have a backup child care for when your children contract illnesses (at least once per week). We have been battling one illness after another since placing our infant in daycare. We don't know anyone well enough here in Texas to provide alternate care. We know people, but they have children too and we would hate to ask them to put their children at risk.

Let me give you a list of the illnesses we have battled in the last 5 weeks to give you an idea: RSV which causes Bronchiolitus which results in Asthma, Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease, Pinkeye, a Common Cold, and today a notice was sent home regarding an infant with Impetigo. Oh, and now that our Son has Asthma, each one of these illnesses causes that to flare up and give our baby distress.

Daycare has been devastating for us and I don't know what we are going to do. My husband travels and I'm an Attorney. I'm waiting for such an illness to pop up when I have to be in Court and my husband is in New York.

Okay, I'm done ranting now. Thank you.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:14 AM

594 posts, read 1,127,821 times
I've heard good things about the Methodist Church Day Care at the corner of 24th and Guadalupe. Early Childhood Center (ECC) | University United Methodist Church Both of my sisters worked there during school and a bit after. I know they take a wide range of ages and the children tend to have very involved parents which I think is important. If I still lived in Austin, that would be my choice.

It is true that illness runs rampant with any daycare but that's what happens when you have so many little hands in one place. I'm so sorry you have had to deal with all of that Ladylaw. I hope your kiddo and you get some relief soon!

Old 07-02-2011, 01:15 AM

7 posts, read 18,186 times
Check out Ashford Montessori. Its located at 290 and Old Fredricksburg Rd/Westcreek. Accept all ages. Texas Rising Star Center with 4 stars.
index

Old 07-02-2011, 01:16 AM

And I wouldnt say that you need backup care at least once a week. Many kids go months without ever getting sick. Sometimes when thers a virus or something going around it may happen but its not all the time.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:18 AM

LadyLaw thats crazy. I dont want to impose but where do your kids go? Sounds like to me they need to clean more. Its all about having a clean daycare and disinfecting classrooms daily and sanitizing toys weekly(or more if theres an illness going around)

Old 07-02-2011, 08:52 AM

589 posts, read 1,651,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygirls2011 View Post
LadyLaw thats crazy. I dont want to impose but where do your kids go? Sounds like to me they need to clean more. Its all about having a clean daycare and disinfecting classrooms daily and sanitizing toys weekly(or more if theres an illness going around)
Not going to say since I believe it is a run of bad luck in the infant room. It is a very highly rated facility with staff who have been there for years. Also, i have personally viewed their sanitation processes and they keep detailed logs of when things are sanitized. My daycare has an excellent reputation in the community and even my pediatrician had her 3 children there.

Keep in mind though that OP has 2 children and that will double her odds of illness even under the best of circumstances. Backup is essential if you simply cannot take a day off of work.

As to my infant, we had him into the doctor again this week. We are having a terrible time bringing his asthma under control given the onslaught. It could just be that we have a child who is susceptible to illness. I keep hoping "next week" will be better.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:47 PM

I understand.
Sometimes the sickness happens and stays no matter what we do as providers to keep the germs away. That seems like a lot of sickness though. I hope it gets better and your lil one doesnt get sick anymore. You know I have heard many many parents talk about dacyares that I thought had a high reputation. PLaces like Childrens Courtyard and stepping stone. The lack of learning seems to be the biggest issue. Parents dont want to pay a crap load of money for their kids to just play all day and not learn anything. All that said. Every family is different and has different needs. What might be perfect for this family, could be all wrong for another. There will always be the I love it and I hate it. Its jsut finding the right fit for your child.
Good luck ladylaw keeping your lil one well. And Afairleigh good luck daycare hunting.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 PM

4,753 posts, read 12,820,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post

Daycare has been devastating for us and I don't know what we are going to do. My husband travels and I'm an Attorney. I'm waiting for such an illness to pop up when I have to be in Court and my husband is in New York.
I would find some nice grandma type from SitterCity.com or Care.com and develop a relationship with that person as a backup. Because you are right that the day will come that your husband is out of town and a child is too ill to go to daycare and you are expected in court.

But here's the silver lining for you: Your children are building their immune systems from being in daycare and when they get to elementary school, they may rarely be sick while some of their peers who were home early on will be sick all the time.

At least that is how it happened for my children. They now miss 0-1 days of school per year and they have friends who have been out sick for days and days and days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin