Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,018,706 times

Advertisements

We overpackage our products to mitigate what retailers term as "shrinkage" (shoplifting). Ever wonder why a tiny portable USB from Best Buy is packaged in a plastic carton the size of a binder? It's sad. They probably don't have that problem in Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 AM

22 posts, read 29,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
I understand the concept, but, I'll be blunt: you and I both know they will be nothing but white people in that store - in the middle of the eastside!

Remember, folks, this is Texas y'all! Hilarious!
I read about this and thought it was interesting, maybe a little on the trendy side, but something that ultimately had good intentions. Then I read their website -- they don't even have a specific location yet, just "coming soon to EAST Austin" (emphasis mine). Hilarious. It'll be full of gentrification hipsters.

If they really wanted to be effective, why not put it closer to the center of town? More curious people will try it and convert to the concept it if it's not completely out of the way.

Building it on the east side = preaching to the choir.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:14 PM

37 posts, read 63,864 times
Paper or plastic? I'm a plastic bag chooser! I recycle them. The cashier at HEB told me horror stories about the bacteria in the reusable bags. She said most people don't wash them, and they are disgusting. She hates when they hand them to her all dirty. The baggers hate it too.

Paper bag handles break. I'm not up to bringing my own containers to haul my goods. Terra Toys gives you a dirty look if you ask for a bag.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:40 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post

If you are interested, check out this woman's blog. She had to FIGHT stores to allow her to have zero packaging. It's really an interesting read. She collected ALL the trash her family of 4 produced in one year. It was barely enough to fit into a cigar box. These people are hard core.

The Zero Waste Home
I follow this families blog. I'm not that hard core, but I try to do the best I can.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:42 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,052 times
Re: reusable bags and bacteria...we can't just keep using things up in general, or use the energy to recycle it in such vast quantities. I suspect there's as much bacteria in and on things such as grocery carts, produce bins, keypads, etc. as there is in a reusable bag.

There's so much waste in general it's a shame, and some packaging isn't recyclable. It may be small, but multiply that times hundreds of thousands plus and we'll someday be buried in our own stuff.

Last edited by capcat; 07-01-2011 at 04:51 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 05:05 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janmc View Post
Paper or plastic? I'm a plastic bag chooser! I recycle them. The cashier at HEB told me horror stories about the bacteria in the reusable bags. She said most people don't wash them, and they are disgusting. She hates when they hand them to her all dirty. The baggers hate it too.

Paper bag handles break. I'm not up to bringing my own containers to haul my goods. Terra Toys gives you a dirty look if you ask for a bag.
Umm, have you heard of the washing machine? I wash my "green" reusable bags in hot water and they come out smelling fresh and clean.

I'm all for reusable bags at the grocery store. However, bulk bins with access for all can be a health hazard. But so can salad bars and all you can eat buffets for that matter and I partake of them so perhaps I will adjust to that as well. I guess I'll just be cooking a lot of the foods instead of serving them in salads. But then I'm using natural gas to heat the water that boils the vegetables. I guess you can never win, eh?

Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Umm, have you heard of the washing machine? I wash my "green" reusable bags in hot water and they come out smelling fresh and clean.

I'm all for reusable bags at the grocery store. However, bulk bins with access for all can be a health hazard. But so can salad bars and all you can eat buffets for that matter and I partake of them so perhaps I will adjust to that as well. I guess I'll just be cooking a lot of the foods instead of serving them in salads. But then I'm using natural gas to heat the water that boils the vegetables. I guess you can never win, eh?
I understand that some people wash, but according to the cashier, most people don't wash them and expect the workers to handle them.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janmc View Post

You keep saying a lot of things are disgusting.

You of course have the right to choose plastic if you want, but to everyone else, remember, it's REDUCE/REUSE/RECYCLE. Recycling is supposed to be the last resort. Lowering usage and comsuption comes first.

A lot of the energy that goes into recycling washes out any eco advantages to it. It's better than nothing, but there are better options out there.

Especially plastic bags.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
You keep saying a lot of things are disgusting.

You of course have the right to choose plastic if you want, but to everyone else, remember, it's REDUCE/REUSE/RECYCLE. Recycling is supposed to be the last resort. Lowering usage and comsuption comes first.

A lot of the energy that goes into recycling washes out any eco advantages to it. It's better than nothing, but there are better options out there.

Especially plastic bags.
Make sure you wash your recycled bags so the cashier's don't have to touch them. That's disgusting. It really is disgusting. Disgusting by far!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin