Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:54 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,794,052 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been posted. The store will open in east Austin this fall if they can pull it off financially.
Zero-Packaging Grocery Store to Open in Austin, Texas - Food - GOOD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:04 PM

37 posts, read 63,864 times
Zero packaging? What's next, do they pour the coffee down my throat then hand me a Big Mac and fries in my hands. Squirt ketchup on my arm? Silly concept.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janmc View Post
Zero packaging? What's next, do they pour the coffee down my throat then hand me a Big Mac and fries in my hands. Squirt ketchup on my arm? Silly concept.
I haven't seen that extreme yet but I have bought many products where the packaging weighs more than the item itself. Go to Fry's Electronics and you'll see what I mean.

I remember buying 100 packs of CD-Rs for work and each friggin' CD had to be encased in its own plastic despite the fact they were all in a cardboard box. Speaking of CDs remember those long packs?

As far as food packaging is concerned reducing the waste has other benefits, e.g. its much easier to manage one 3L box of wine than 4 separate 750ml bottles.

No as a whole we should be trying to get by with less rather than assume we need more.

Last edited by verybadgnome; 06-30-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 09:08 PM

515 posts, read 1,396,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janmc View Post
Not a "silly concept" at all. Just bring your own jars and or bags to bring your stuff home in. There are lots of websites that sell all kinds of bags needed to bring your food home in if you can't find it locally or already in your home. No one laughed when people started bringing re-useable bags from home to carry your groceries home in, and now it's common practice. Well this is the same concept.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 PM

45 posts, read 139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
Not a "silly concept" at all. Just bring your own jars and or bags to bring your stuff home in.
I noticed this when I lived in Germany. It is very common there. All the grocery stores have huge recycle bins at the front of the store. People remove the packaging, put it in the appropriate bin, and fill up their storage containers from home. Home garbage collection is expensive there so people are more than happy to leave the trash at the store. Far less landfill space available so the public is pretty aware of what they are contributing.

I also noticed that things are packaged differently there. Less packaging in general. Hardly ever saw a sealed bag inside a sealed box...

Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
I would have a concern about cleanliness though. What if someone went to the bathroom, didn't wash their hands, then stuck their hands in the lentils? Could we have a widespread e-coli outbreak or something?

At least with bulk food containers now, it's like a dispenser so contamination cannot enter the dispenser. The open items shown in the picture could become contaminated quickly (one sneeze).

I don't know about it, from a health standpoint.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I would have a concern about cleanliness though. What if someone went to the bathroom, didn't wash their hands, then stuck their hands in the lentils? Could we have a widespread e-coli outbreak or something?

At least with bulk food containers now, it's like a dispenser so contamination cannot enter the dispenser. The open items shown in the picture could become contaminated quickly (one sneeze).

I don't know about it, from a health standpoint.
I understand what you are saying about cleanliness, but really nothing you eat is super clean.

I mean, I see people drinking out of soda cans all the time, even though god only knows how many rats and insects have run over the top of that can.

Your food is handled by about a dozen people between the farm and the grocery store. There is only so much cleaning they can do.

I think that packaging is really crazy wasteful. Everything is wrapped in plastic and individualized. Luckily eveyrone has a choice of what store they want to go to.

If you are interested, check out this woman's blog. She had to FIGHT stores to allow her to have zero packaging. It's really an interesting read. She collected ALL the trash her family of 4 produced in one year. It was barely enough to fit into a cigar box. These people are hard core.

The Zero Waste Home

Old 07-01-2011, 12:59 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,549 times
I understand the concept, but, I'll be blunt: you and I both know they will be nothing but white people in that store - in the middle of the eastside!

Remember, folks, this is Texas y'all! Hilarious!

_ _ _ _
"No bags! What kind of store is this?! These people are crazy!"

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 07-01-2011 at 01:08 AM..

Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesteading View Post
I noticed this when I lived in Germany.
IIRC, Germany has an extra tax on manufacturers that's equivalent to the cost for disposing of their packaging. It gives manufacturers incentive to minimize packaging as much as possible.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:51 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,358 times
If they're smart, the Container Store will open up right next to them. It's a marriage made in eco-heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin