Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 PM

61 posts, read 147,676 times

Advertisements

Fyi, APD is a tobacco free department, I'm sure there are rules against it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,196,836 times
If they are off duty who cares. Its their personal time, I don't have the right to tell them what to do or would I want too.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:30 PM

319 posts, read 737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
If they are off duty who cares. Its their personal time, I don't have the right to tell them what to do or would I want too.
If they are in uniform, how can you tell just by looking at them that they are on break? I guess that is part of the issue...

Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Ok, I normally lurk here, but Where EXACTLY do you live???
Hutto, but yes, lots of the ladies on our street don't mind that either

Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,346 times
As I've stated, I normally lurk here but IMO, I think police are better role models by driving safely, ie obeying the speed limit, using blinkers, and spending time getting to know those they protect. My biggest pet peeve is witnessing a cop blowing by me like I'm standing still, weaving in and out of traffic without using blinkers, and as I saw last week on IH 35, crossing over from the left lane to the far right lane (without using blinkers) and exiting ....speeding on the feeder ( I was going 72 mph and he beat me) then merging onto the freeway only to exit, make a U turn and drive to the PD. No lights or sirens. Now, that bugs me a heck of alot more than seeing a cop smoke. I attend Texas State and think the police here should set an example for the young people whose driving skills ...let's just say, suck.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:14 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Hutto, but yes, lots of the ladies on our street don't mind that either

Ha! Too far from home for this 53 y/o plus my husby is HOT, but your street sounds interesting.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:19 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
A lot of our firemen are actually rotated in from austin and Westland fd's, and cedar park. It's refreshing to hear women say their husbands are hot.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
They already have mnay restrction on their actions;I see no reson to nopt allow them the same rights as other. They are public seravts not servats .We already have enough trouble getting them to stay in the profession ;so I say layoff. I'd preoabvly start smoking if i had to deal with the public under circumstances they do.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:46 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,129 times
Wow lots of comments on this but add me to the cops should be able to have a smoke if they want camp. I dont think they should be smoking while giving somebody a ticket or taking a statement but if they want to grab a cup of coffee and a smoke mid shift they should be able to.

For the original poster worried about their kids, the best role model for your kids is you.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 AM

319 posts, read 737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguyatx View Post
Wow lots of comments on this but add me to the cops should be able to have a smoke if they want camp. I dont think they should be smoking while giving somebody a ticket or taking a statement but if they want to grab a cup of coffee and a smoke mid shift they should be able to.

For the original poster worried about their kids, the best role model for your kids is you.
The two aren't mutually exclusive. If you think police officers in uniform shouldn't smoke in public, that doesn't mean you are abdicating your parental role, or any other broad assumption.., don't respect cops, want a nanny state, etc.

In the fullness of reading all the posts, this has become much more about the differences in belief systems about freedoms vs social norms, society with agreed upon standards and practices vs anything within legal bounds goes, etc. Many here think the standard should be legal vs illegal, with no in between. All I am saying is that there should be some middle ground.

Do you drop the "F bomb" loud and clear in front of someone's child? Could a policeman? It's not illegal?

As I have said from the beginning, making obvious statements like parents are the most important role model doesn't answer the question at hand. And the police departments agree, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin