Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:32 PM

65 posts, read 147,823 times

Advertisements

Recently I have been considering a move to Austin. While I have heard all sorts of praise about this “up and coming city” I am not so naïve to think it is paradise. However I am looking for my personal paradise, so I would very much appreciate if people could give me honest, realistic responses to my post.

Basic background info:
Cities I have spent the most time in are New York City, Seattle, and San Francisco. I grew up in the North East, 45 mins. outside of NYC. In my early 20’s will be moving with girlfriend who is also in early 20’s and our small dog.
Additional info:
- Will have car
- 1500 max able to spend on rent

Main things were looking for in a city:
- Plentiful nightlife options
- Large variety of dining options
- Other young people

We are a young couple who like to go out frequently and be surrounded by other people. We like to eat, drink, and be merry… and do these things often. I understand Austin is not NYC, or San Francisco, but it is important for us to be in a neighborhood that is bursting with cultural amenities and things to do. If not located directly in this neighborhood, we’d like to live VERY close by… Any suggestions on neighborhoods that meet these criteria would be very much appreciated.

Main Concern:
Heat/Humidity - I can deal with dry heat well however humidity is a BIG concern. Summer in NYC is brutal, and for me the reason is the extreme humidity. Does anyone know how humidity in Austin compares to humidity in NYC.

Thank you everyone for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 06:39 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnLove View Post

Main Concern:
Heat/Humidity - I can deal with dry heat well however humidity is a BIG concern. Summer in NYC is brutal, and for me the reason is the extreme humidity. Does anyone know how humidity in Austin compares to humidity in NYC.

If that's your main concern then you'll be fine. It can be a little uncomfortable in the morning when temps are 70s & 80s, but the time the temperature climbs into ludicrous range, the humidity is fine. For example, right now it's 98 and the dewpoint is 59F, which 99% of human beings find very comfortable. Most days evenings are great, as the sun goes down, temp goes down and humidity is still low...you'll find outdoor dining is a staple in Austin just about year-round.

My wife or I walk our dog to a little park in our complex for his business 2-3X a day, and I never have returned to my place sweaty or in immediate need of another shower.

Quote:
We like to eat, drink, and be merry…
Well, you're just gonna fit right in

Old 07-05-2011, 06:51 PM

65 posts, read 147,823 times
Thank you for the input!

Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,652,329 times
I don't think however you are going to find that "bursting" type of neighborhood even in central Austin. Since I am out in the burbs I will let one of the others that live in Central Austin help on that mark!

Old 07-05-2011, 07:27 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Recently I have been considering a move to Austin. While I have heard all sorts of praise about this “up and coming city” I am not so naïve to think it is paradise. However I am looking for my personal paradise, so I would very much appreciate if people could give me honest, realistic responses to my post.

Basic background info:
Cities I have spent the most time in are New York City, Seattle, and San Francisco. I grew up in the North East, 45 mins. outside of NYC. In my early 20’s will be moving with girlfriend who is also in early 20’s and our small dog.
Additional info:
- Will have car
- 1500 max able to spend on rent

Main things were looking for in a city:
- Plentiful nightlife options
- Large variety of dining options
- Other young people

We are a young couple who like to go out frequently and be surrounded by other people. We like to eat, drink, and be merry… and do these things often. I understand Austin is not NYC, or San Francisco, but it is important for us to be in a neighborhood that is bursting with cultural amenities and things to do. If not located directly in this neighborhood, we’d like to live VERY close by… Any suggestions on neighborhoods that meet these criteria would be very much appreciated.

Main Concern:

Definitely spend some time here first. Austin is NOTHING like the cities you're familiar with.

Nightlife is limited. Most is located downtown, and it is pretty much a bunch of very similar bars with some live music. And everything shuts down at 2:00. If you are looking for a city that never sleeps, Austin is not the place for you.

Dining options are somewhat limited as well. Austin is not the most diverse city in the world, and the dining options reflect that. Looking for some Polish food or a Kosher Deli? Not going to find one.

Austin is more of a large town than a city, so if you're looking for anything "bursting with cultural amenities and things to do," you'll probably be disappointed with Austin.

And Austin is ridiculously spread-out. So living with everything "VERY close-by" is damn near impossible.

And heat is definitely an issue. If you think the summers in NYC are brutal, than you have no idea what you're in for. The summers here are every bit as bad as NYC (if not worse), the only difference is that they last for much, much longer.

Other things to note, you are probably used to lush, green, rolling landscapes. And trees. We don't have them. We have flat, dry, and brown with large bushes. You may not think that is a big deal, but you will miss it after a while. There is the "Hill Country," but I once took a friend from home (I'm from Philly) on a drive through it, and an hour into the trip, she asked how much further it was. We had been in the heart of it for 30 minutes. What constitutes hills is very subjective.

We are also a 4 hour drive to the nearest ocean. The closest mountain is about 8 hours. So those day trips to the beach? Yeah, there's no such thing here.

You may love it here; I don't know. But most people who come from Northern California or the Northeast don't. That's why I strongly recommend visiting for a week - preferably during August to get a feel for the heat.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 PM

293 posts, read 730,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
We have flat, dry, and brown with large bushes.
I'll agree with the rest of your post except for this. We may not have the most lush, green landscape but it's far from what you describe.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 PM

515 posts, read 1,397,115 times
I'm from Northern CA (born and raised in SF) and I will tell you also it is nothing like any of the cities you said you lived in. As one poster mentioned, Austin has more of a big town feeling rather than a city. Not a lot of cultural events here, more of a drinking, eating and socializing type of town. It will remind you a bit more like Berkeley in it's quirkiness.

All that said, we love it here and don't miss "home" at all. People are very friendly and way more laid back. I think the biggest thing we have had to get use to is there isn't as much to do once you get outside of Austin. Lots of cute small towns with some wonderful BBQ and great swimming holes. A very different type of life style. Austin is very much a young persons town, and my 23 year old daughter loves it here too. LOTS and LOTS of young people.

Do what we did... come and spend a week here before you decide. We came, fell in love, and then headed back home to sell our house. Forgot to mention, it is very hot here during the long summer months, but not nearly as humid as the east coast.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
I'll agree with the rest of your post except for this. We may not have the most lush, green landscape but it's far from what you describe.
Seriously. I have no idea why that over-exaggeration was necessary...one can easily make the point not to expect lush and green like the NE without flat-out lying.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 PM

4 posts, read 5,995 times
I moved here at 23 or so from Boston. Have been here 10 years and still love it. It took me a while to discover Austin. At first, I knew 6th st. and 4th st. (the nightlife part of town), which I enjoyed. I then discovered the outdoorsy side of Austin -- all kinds of trails and greenbelts (that are pretty difficult to enjoy in the heat of summer though, I'd say) and now I'm discovering the family side with an 18-month old. I love Austin and fall more deeply for it as the years go by. It's also a really great dog city!

No, it's not bursting with cultural diversity, but it is a city with soul and a lot of personality and there are always all kinds of things to do - quirky festivals and such! I think it's a fabulous place for young peeps! It's just not as "urban" as you may be used to - that took some getting used to for me and at first I missed the bustle of Boston.

Oh, also, $1500 for rent will get you a very nice place if you're going with an apartment. $1500 for a house is totally doable too but depending on how nice you want, you would have to go further out.

As for the heat - yeah, it sucks, but not so much as northern winters, i don't think. Also, in a way, I find the summers to be a bit more bearable as in Boston we never had a/c! So, we were hot all the time in summmer!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,995 times
Oh, I forgot to add - I was actually so surprised by the Austin landscape. It was much greener than I expected from Texas and much of Austin is actually VERY hilly! (all our northern family members always comment on this -- that Austin doesn't look like what they expected of Texas). I think it's a beautiful city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: