Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:33 AM

32 posts, read 112,558 times

Advertisements

I am almost 18 and I am a US citizen.
I found a lot of nice websites with good rent offers (including this one). Google Map does an amazing job review-wise.

Thing is I don't live in the US at the moment. Is it eventually possible for me to go straight to the apartment I want once I hit the airport? Or would they first have to see me or whatever. And would they NEED a credit card?

I need to get an apartment by this September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,247 times
Apartments will want proof that you have a job or money to pay rent.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 AM

326 posts, read 824,012 times
You can usually find a place quickly, especially if you go to an apartment complex. But you will need to show proof of income and it may take a couple of days to get the paperwork done and approved. You may want to try and get one of those extended stay hotels for the first month to get yourself established. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedogatemyhomework View Post
But you will need to show proof of income and it may take a couple of days to get the paperwork done and approved. You may want to try and get one of those extended stay hotels for the first month to get yourself established. Good luck.
The problem is I would have to find me the job first. I found an online McDonalds application although I think they would want an interview first. Anyway, yeah I think I would have to stay at a hotel for a little bit. I hope they're not too expensive though.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQ1993 View Post
The problem is I would have to find me the job first. I found an online McDonalds application although I think they would want an interview first. Anyway, yeah I think I would have to stay at a hotel for a little bit. I hope they're not too expensive though.
Do you have a parent who can come along and co-sign with you? You may need that in any case because you're so young and probably don't have a credit history.

Staying in a hotel could get quite expensive if you need to do that for awhile. I would not come without enough savings to get you through several months. McDonalds is not going to pay much and you may need to find a roommate.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Do you have a parent who can come along and co-sign with you? You may need that in any case because you're so young and probably don't have a credit history.

Staying in a hotel could get quite expensive if you need to do that for awhile. I would not come without enough savings to get you through several months. McDonalds is not going to pay much and you may need to find a roommate.
My dad might come and he might not. I'm planning for worst case scenario (where he doesn't come). The credit history never really struck me so I'm not sure what I'll do without the co-signing of my dad...

As for McDonalds; still assuming worst case scenario. I calculated minimum wage salary and I can probably manage with a roommate (I put $350 monthly into account... does that make sense?). Yeah the hotel will probably last for a week MAX since I would HOPEFULLY be able to find me a job and a place to stay (with the roommate) quick enough. I'll do my search online before I go and when I get on ground over there it will hopefully all be just face-to-face interviews.

Am I being rational here or does this all sound too impossible?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
My dad might come and he might not. I'm planning for worst case scenario (where he doesn't come). The credit history never really struck me so I'm not sure what I'll do without the co-signing of my dad...

As for McDonalds; still assuming worst case scenario. I calculated minimum wage salary and I can probably manage with a roommate (I put $350 monthly into account... does that make sense?). Yeah the hotel will probably last for a week MAX since I would HOPEFULLY be able to find me a job and a place to stay (with the roommate) quick enough. I'll do my search online before I go and when I get on ground over there it will hopefully all be just face-to-face interviews.

Am I being rational here or does this all sound too impossible?
This does not sound like a solid plan.

You are coming from another country. You are under 18 now and at best will be barely 18 when you arrive. You have no credit history. You have no work history. You do not have a job lined up. You do not have significant savings. You likely will not have a co-signer.

Please understand that it may be hard for you to get a job. Even at McDonalds. Even if you do get a job, it may be hard to find transportation to that job. Our bus system is not very efficient. It might take you a long time if the McDonalds they hire you at is not near the complex where you find a roommate. And again, it may be hard to find an apartment. Most of the time they are leery of renting to 18-year-olds without a cosigner since you don't have a credit history and have no savings.

I would not come here until you have saved enough money to pay 6 months of expenses. I would save at least $4,000 before attempting a move.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
This does not sound like a solid plan.

You are coming from another country. You are under 18 now and at best will be barely 18 when you arrive. You have no credit history. You have no work history. You do not have a job lined up. You do not have significant savings. You likely will not have a co-signer.

Please understand that it may be hard for you to get a job. Even at McDonalds. Even if you do get a job, it may be hard to find transportation to that job. Our bus system is not very efficient. It might take you a long time if the McDonalds they hire you at is not near the complex where you find a roommate. And again, it may be hard to find an apartment. Most of the time they are leery of renting to 18-year-olds without a cosigner since you don't have a credit history and have no savings.

I would not come here until you have saved enough money to pay 6 months of expenses. I would save at least $4,000 before attempting a move.
What you're saying is all true. So if my father decides to come with me and do all this co-signing; all my problems will be solved?

Will it be easier for me to get a job and an apartment close to this job (so I can, for example, cycle to work)?

And what would I need the $4000 for, if I may?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:59 PM

Oh and I need to start working MAXIMUM by September 15th. This is because I want to pay in-state tuition for UT-Austin and they gave me this deadline for me to start working (since working for 12 months in the state is a condition for establishing residency).

Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
What you're saying is all true. So if my father decides to come with me and do all this co-signing; all my problems will be solved?

Will it be easier for me to get a job and an apartment close to this job (so I can, for example, cycle to work)?

And what would I need the $4000 for, if I may?
If your father has US bank accounts and is a US citizen (so they can go after his money if you don't pay), then that may help.

You need to have a cushion of money so that if you can't find a job right away (which is likely), you will be able to pay your expenses. How will you pay for food, electricity, health insurance? You need to try to live as close to work as possible. Austin is very spread out. You're talking about UT for next year (2012-2013), right? Have you applied? Been accepted? It's hard to get into UT. If you haven't been accepted, you may want to consider starting at ACC and transferring after a year or two.

Please think about this plan before you come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin