Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,724 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if I can get some input from locals regarding the positives and negatives with the North West area of Austin. I just got a job offer and will need to move in 3 weeks from California. I already know the weather will be different but I think it will be a good move for my kids (11, 9, 7). My job will be in the North Austin area and am looking at places like Round Rock, Cedar Park, Leander, Georgetown, etc.

What area would you recommend? My #1 priority is getting my kids into a quality school both Elementary and Middle.

We will be renting so I do not think home prices will be a major factor but we are looking at paying a maximum of $1500.

There are just so many schools it makes it hard to pinpoint one specific area. We recently took a vacation out there and drove around for the day but did not leave knowing what areas we liked the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 10:46 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,548,407 times
It might help to know in what area of 'North Austin' you are working. 'North' Austin means different things to various folks on the board and your commute should be a top concern. Avery Ranch is in 'north-north' Austin and feeds into good schools. It also has great access to a number of traffic arteries; again keeping your commute in mind. Round Rock is to the north and east of us while Cedar Park is to the north and west. Leander and Georgetown are both farther out, but your actual office location might help determine if those areas will make for acceptable commutes.

Good luck and bring your sunscreen and A/C...it's HOT!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:55 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,549 times
If I were you, I think your best bets would be Northwest Austin, West Austin, Avery Ranch, Cedar Park, and Leander.

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2011, 06:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,724 times
We have really concentrated our search to the Cedar Park/Leander area but that still leaves us quite a few schools and neighborhoods to consider.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,650,964 times
Sent ya a dm.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,169 times
Smile Family of 5 also moving to the north Austin Area

My family and I are originally from Tx but moved to Maryland 10 years ago. We are moving back to TX June of 2012 and good schools are a major factor on where we want to find a home and jobs. My oldest will be in high school my middle child will be in middle school and my youngest elementary school. we are really trying to move around the Round Rock, Pflugerville area or anywhere around there if better schools. The price of homes we are trying to stay around is around the $150-$160,000 range or rent for less than $1200-$1300 a month. If anyone has any input on schools around these areas I would love any information. We are taking a trip down in the spring to visit family and look for homes and get school registration info so I have to really decide where and what we are doing before then.

Thank you for any information.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 AM

308 posts, read 600,375 times
I hear Waco is wonderful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin