Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:52 AM

66 posts, read 98,602 times

Advertisements

I currently live and teach elementary school in Ca. I hate our state's political climate and want to move my family to a more conservative environment like Texas. How is the availability of teaching jobs in your area? Are there other areas I should look/not look into depending on growth, economy, cost of living, etc.?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 AM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
I would look elsewhere. Austin already has a number of unemployed teachers that would be given priority over a non local.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,467 times
The jobs outlook is bleak, especially for elementary. Our state cut jobs this year and we expect they will cut more jobs next year. Last year, the sub lists filled up within a month or so. I expect they'll do the same this year. Because of the poor economic climate, teachers are staying in their jobs longer. Not much is opening up and what little is gets filled by the RIF'ed (I assume being from CA you understand RIF) teachers from that school or others in the district.

Then you have all the out of state teachers who moved here in the last few years wanting a teaching gig. Many of them still haven't found anything. Those who are determined have been subbing and making connections in the schools. It's not uncommon for the principal to get 200 applications for an opening, and only interview 5 people, usually people already associated with the school (like subs) or people they get a personal recommendation from (like from someone the principal knows and trusts--like a principal at another school.)

Then you have the fact that the Austin area has multiple universities, including two major universities in UT and Texas State. They pump out thousands of graduates every year who have been student teaching, already have those critical personal connections in the schools, would be cheap to hire and who want to stay around.

Then you have the fact that Austin is considered a fun, popular town that many people want to move to because of the affordable cost of living. I say all of this not to discourage you (and I'm sorry if it comes across that way), but to be realistic. It's going to be tough finding a teaching gig, especially in elementary, especially in the Austin area. Now, this isn't to say it's impossible. Maybe you get lucky and something happens just at the right time. You should definitely apply to all the school districts. You should check the job postings every day and send in your resume to the principal the second anything opens up. But, you should only move if you're prepared for the reality that you may not get anything. If you have a spouse in another field that would more likely find work, then go ahead and come. You could sub and maybe get your foot in the door. Or maybe you get lucky, who knows. But I know multiple teachers who have been here for more than a year already and still haven't found anything. They're highly qualified, have master's degrees and experience, and they still can't get anything. Five years ago, you could have just moved and taken your chances. Right now, I wouldn't leave a gig I had until I had the guarantee of one someplace else (and that I understood there will be more cuts next year. First and second year hires were the ones cut here for the most part.) Good luck.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
You can still find teaching jobs in the rural, and by rural I don't mean those within 1 - 1 1/2 hours of a major city, since few want to move to these places. If that's something you're willing to live in a place like that and are flexible about where that is, you could probably find a teaching job.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Or check some of Texas's other Cities and medium sized towns or smaller cities. Places like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Lake Jackson, Tyler, West Columbia, Sweeny, Clear Lake/League City, etc......

Old 07-07-2011, 11:34 AM

66 posts, read 330,564 times
It's bad- like REALLY bad. Hate to be so blunt but it is what it is. I have been here just over a year now and still nothing. I went on several interviews last year and many schools were very upfront about my chances at the position- as in "We already know who we are hiring but we have to interview three candidates and we will keep you in mind if something else opens up." In fact one school told me this before my interview even started (although I would rather have that then weeks waiting with no reply).
I just took my certification tests a few months ago (was on a 1 year out of state cert) and there is no shortage of upcoming teachers. Saturday morning tests were packed to the gills. Many alternative certification people that already had contacts in the schools from their programs and student teaching. I have all but given up on teaching here and am working on my counseling degree instead. I got a deferment (meaning I can be a school counselor while I finish my program) and that is pretty much my only hope of a position for this year.
I have a MEd and 5 years experience and still can't get my foot in the door. In fact several people in my program have to move out of Texas when they graduate because in Texas you need 2 years teaching experience to become a school counselor and they just can't get it right now.
We have been a 1 income household for a year now and it is not too bad. We have learned how to cut back and do fairly well on my husband's salary. It just keeps us from getting ahead. We are basically treading water until I can find something (hopefully in education). Good luck in whatever decision you make!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM

205 posts, read 739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Last year, the sub lists filled up within a month or so. I expect they'll do the same this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
Not much is opening up and what little is gets filled by the RIF'ed (I assume being from CA you understand RIF) teachers from that school or others in the district.
Sorry this question may not help OP, but what is "sublist" and "RIF". Just curious.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
sublist: the list of subs (substitute teachers)
RIF: reduction in force

Old 07-07-2011, 12:30 PM

66 posts, read 98,602 times
Okay, not what I was wishing to hear, but it is what i want to hear. I need the truth and it all helps. Any other posts are still great. I read about farther out of the city area. What are those areas like. I may be ignorant, but my take on the geography of Texas outside the coast and cities isn't too great unless you enjoy hot and dry. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin