Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:47 PM

14 posts, read 91,890 times

Advertisements

Yes, were totally in the same boat. Whereas you can strip off that police uniform, I can't strip off my Asianness. Nice try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 02:55 PM

110 posts, read 246,015 times
"nice try?" that's not cool. How can you expect to be understood if you are unwilling to understand that other people suffer from similar situations.

No person here is going to suffer the exactly the same as you have. It's not because we all aren't Asian and it's not because we all aren't gay. Everyone here is going to suffer in some way because of someone elses ignorance.

I accept you.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:06 PM

205 posts, read 739,021 times
I am Asian. I have tons of Asian, White and Black friends. I have never experienced any sort of racism in austin what-so-ever. My neighbors have also been white, they are very polite, greet when we see each other and if we have time they also have a 5 min conversation as how are things.

Having said that, I am from Bay Area, and I do think Austin is not as liberal at Bay area maybe because Bay Area is one of the most ethinically diverse region of US.

Would you experience more racism in Gay community because you are Asian??

Old 07-09-2011, 03:12 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,580,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawks11 View Post
I am a police officer here in town. I think I understand what you are going through. Everywhere I go someone has something foul to say. People shout out obscene things just for me driving by. I am cursed at daily and I have even been spit on. I have been threatened and assaulted. I am starting to think that maybe Austin isn't a good place for white police officers either.
Exactly. There are idiots in the world. If they're out on the prowl to tear someone down and make themselves feel bigger, they will find whatever they think will p*ss you off the most and use that. So if it's race, they pick it. If it's picking on you for being a woman, a police officer, overweight, strange looking, whatever... a jerk will find something ugly to say. That's just how jerks work. It hasn't changed since grade school. The bullies just get taller.

P.S.-OP, playing the "Woe is me, no one else has ever had it as bad as me, me, me" card isn't going to do much to garner sympathy and if this is the attitude you display all the time, it's no wonder you drive guys away. You must be pretty naive to think you're the only one who's ever been the target of jerks before.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:35 PM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,009 times
I hate to say it, but you sound as if you're very unhappy here in Austin. You might want to relocate and find some happiness elsewhere. Life is too short to be miserable.

I'm just sayin'...

Old 07-09-2011, 07:58 PM

844 posts, read 2,019,310 times
Wow, that is horrible and I'm very sorry that people did that to you.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:21 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h886 View Post
P.S.-OP, playing the "Woe is me, no one else has ever had it as bad as me, me, me" card isn't going to do much to garner sympathy and if this is the attitude you display all the time, it's no wonder you drive guys away. You must be pretty naive to think you're the only one who's ever been the target of jerks before.
My question is why one puts oneself in situations where they are almost GUARANTEED to encounter jerks. His last post was about people in bars. This post is about people from craigslist. I mean, come on. If you brush shoulders with the lowest common denominator, what do you expect? What's next? "I visited the penetentiary and everyone there was very mean and called me 'fresh meat' that must be what ALL OF AUSTIN is like!!!".

I am assuming these new stories of racism that you experienced have happened in the last month? Since they were not in your original diatribe against all gay white people and how terrible we are?

It's funny, one of my best friends is Cambodian and we go around all the time and he has ZERO problems with racism. Maybe it's b/c we don't cruise Craigslist together, but walking around shopping centers or going to restaurants in Round Rock, and we have no problems. Strange.

I don't think it's b/c you are Asian, I think it's because of your attitude.

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:13 PM

102 posts, read 308,050 times
Can't say that I've had the same experiences. I've lived here for 4 years. I'm a short, slightly overweight, straight Asian male.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:17 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousATXphenomena View Post
As for the craigslist example, do you have reading comprehension issues? Please show me where I mentioned the word 'dating'. Does it not say PLATONIC and FRIENDSHIP? Are you suggesting that iit's acceptable to refuse to be friends with someone because of their race?
Then why does it matter that you are "fit, athletic, tall, and good looking"? I mean, if its platonic and all why should that matter?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
If you want to scientifically prove your theory, maybe as an experiment, you should try sending a picture of a guy who is your Anglo equivalent or your Hispanic equivalent to folks who respond to a nearly identical version of your Craigslist ad? It doesn't seem like you're confirming or disproving it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin