U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 AM

67 posts, read 174,913 times

Advertisements

My cat cornered a scorpion in the house this morning, it was partially dead by the time I finished it off. It may have stung my cat, but he seems to be acting normally now. He did growl and go under the bed for a few minutes right after he had messed with the scorpion. Are our local scorpions dangerous for cats?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 11:32 AM

828 posts, read 1,522,699 times
I have a cat that used to kill em all the time. with no problems. She never once had a problem.

My older sister has told me when she lived in Southern GA she had a cat that would clip off the stinger of scorpions and bring them to the dog to play with.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:35 AM

136 posts, read 302,387 times
From what I know, cats are not "immune" to scorpion stings. I think some may think so, because they assume they've been stung - when in fact, the cat's coat prevented the sting in the first place.

I've had cats for years, and unfortunately have had many scorpion encounters in the house - some here in Austin... but most in Midland, where it was almost literally a nightly ordeal. (I'll never forget the new construction home I bought and scorpions would drop out of the can lights in the ceiling at random times.)

My cat (or cats) always seem to hunt the scorpions down - bat them around, and so forth. But I've never witnessed the scorpion actually attempt to sting the cat - surely, they have before.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:46 AM

9,191 posts, read 20,031,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG5003 View Post

I've had cats for years, and unfortunately have had many scorpion encounters in the house - some here in Austin... but most in Midland, where it was almost literally a nightly ordeal. (I'll never forget the new construction home I bought and scorpions would drop out of the can lights in the ceiling at random times.)
Ewww! What subdivision was that? I moved to a new development in the NW (Northgate outside of the loop) in 1983, and I had maybe 3 scorpions in 25 years in that house.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Ewww! What subdivision was that? I moved to a new development in the NW (Northgate outside of the loop) in 1983, and I had maybe 3 scorpions in 25 years in that house.
LOL... it was really bad in Mockingbird Heights. Actually this happened to me twice. Once with new construction in 1998, and when I moved back into the subdivision in 2007. Both times though, I was on the last street, and backed up to the rancher behind the sub.

I also had a problem in Briarwood, but at least they weren't dropping from the lights. Also had a BIG problem with Black Widows there.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:48 PM

I had some black widows outside, and was always careful where I put my hands in the garage as well.

My worst problem was the brown recluses and fireants. Neither were present when I first moved there, but in the last 5-10 years, they were both horrible! I had to always shake my towel out before drying off, and more than one big brown recluse hit the shower wall.

All just bad news!!

Old 07-10-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I had to always shake my towel out before drying off, and more than one big brown recluse hit the shower wall.

All just bad news!!
LOL... and the things of nightmares, esp. the above!

Old 07-10-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG5003 View Post
LOL... and the things of nightmares, esp. the above!
Yeeees, LOL!!

Sis lives between south Austin and San Marcos. She has always had a lot of scorpions and {{{{shudder}}}} centipedes. I've stomped on a few in her laundry room.

Dayum, I hate critters indoors!!

Old 07-10-2011, 04:37 PM

6,726 posts, read 7,703,933 times
My vet said they are kind of like bee stings. Generally painful and a pain in the keester, but not necessarily dangerous. Of course, there may be some animals (and people) who will have a stronger reaction than others or even be allergic. But chances are, your cat will just learn a painful lesson and be perfectly fine.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:30 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,199,008 times
I keep reading this thread as "Scorpions as pets." Anyway, we had a neighbor several years ago whose cat was stung and she swelled up like a blowfish. They took her to the vet and she was fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin