Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
It's syllables of my first and last name put together. It amuses me.
(k)calel, I think it's a super name!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 AM

589 posts, read 1,812,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calel View Post
It's syllables of my first and last name put together. It amuses me.

And I thought you were Superman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
When I started my retirement career as a naturalist, I worked at our local Audubon sanctuary, and we all used "nature names." The first time I was asked what my nature name was, I had not even thought about it, but since my first name starts with G, I thought of grasshopper, and that stuck. When working with little kids, I used to wear just a pin that was a grasshopper as a name tag, and it worked great.
Wow. Love your retirement career. Can you recommend the best place to go birdwatching in the greater Austin area and also can you suggest a a bird that might be of particular interest?

When we moved here, I had to get a new field guide of Eastern Birds of North America. Texas is fun because the Eastern and Western Birds overlap.

Again, loving this thread because it is very revealing (in a good way ).

Old 07-14-2011, 09:02 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post

CptnRn - thought your name was Ron
It is, my previous response was a joke.

For years I had a website all about sailing, until Yahoo/Geocities shut down the free websites. I used Captain Ron moniker and email address for years, so it make sense to keep it when I started here.
Attached Thumbnails
Austin user names?-ttlcptnrn.gif  

Old 07-14-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawks11 View Post
My favorite painting:
Good taste!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:07 AM

239 posts, read 518,042 times
From and love Chicago.

Love to bring the Austinites back to earth.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
When I started my retirement career as a naturalist, I worked at our local Audubon sanctuary, and we all used "nature names." The first time I was asked what my nature name was, I had not even thought about it, but since my first name starts with G, I thought of grasshopper, and that stuck. When working with little kids, I used to wear just a pin that was a grasshopper as a name tag, and it worked great.
And here I thought it had something to do with Kwai Chang Kaine.

‪Kung Fu - grasshopper dialog‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-14-2011, 09:19 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
Can you recommend the best place to go birdwatching in the greater Austin area and also can you suggest a a bird that might be of particular interest?

Onion Creek is a great location for bird watching, and was recently designated "Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary" by the Audubon Society: www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/morning_call/2011/07/austins-onion-creek-club-wins-audubon.html

The banks of Onion Creek are protected from development, extending several mile downstream towards McKinney Falls:
Stone Bridge: Some birds of McKinney Falls

From Google Images:

Last edited by jobert; 07-14-2011 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 09:26 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
CptnRN: honestly I always thought your user name had something to do with nursing! Like you can always provide detailed stats AND can patch someone up if they are injured! Maybe an ER super nurse. Superheros and boats never entered my mind.

Never got the 10scoach either!

Mine is self explanatory! I arrived in Austin 20 years ago for grad school and UT is still at the center of my personal conception of the city. My family and I still live in a world bounded by 183/Research to the north, Ben White to the south, and 360 to the west. And east to 183 again. Most of our daily living is done in an even tighter circle of central Austin.

"Outer Austin" is pretty much a mystery to me. I've been to Steiner Ranch once or twice, Lakeway never, Ikea and the Dell Diamond a few times. I did become familiar with Pflugerville with a work project a year ago and liked it quite a bit. Our lives tilt more eastward towards Bastrop and Elgin then they ever do the west. 620 is just a string of numbers to me.

So, it seemed like a user name that fit!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:10 AM

589 posts, read 1,812,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Onion Creek is a great location for bird watching, and was recently designated "Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary" by the Audubon Society: www.bizjournals.com/austin/blog/morning_call/2011/07/austins-onion-creek-club-wins-audubon.html

The banks of Onion Creek are protected from development, extending several mile downstream towards McKinney Falls:
Stone Bridge: Some birds of McKinney Falls
1. Northern Cardinal
2. Red Shouldered Hawk
3. Great Blue Heron
4. Snowy Egret

Thanks for the tips Jobert.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:18 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Mine represents that I'm a Kentucky Wildcats basketball fan living in the capital city of Texas. I've lived in Austin most of my life and am a graduate of the university of Texas, but am from "near" Lexington KY and a love for UK basketball is in my blood. I took the name capcat because I wanted to post on a sports message board when UK, Duke, MSU and Utah came to Austin several years ago. UK ultimately lost to MSU in a final round, triple overtime bid to go to the final four. I became part of the staff of the sports message board I joined back then and decided to keep the same name when I found this site. I enjoy CD quite a bit. Austin in particular seems to have a good forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin