Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 PM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times

Advertisements

Round Rock is worth the drive. NEVER go on a federal holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 09:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
OH THAT'S SOME BS MAN!!

Why oh why did I drive from Pflugerville all the way to Lamar when I could have just gone north....stupid stupid!
At least you know for next time. I got stuck at Lamar myself more than once ...waiting, waiting, waiting.

Then someone told me about Georgetown/Taylor offices and I never ventured south again.

Now you know for next time

Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 PM

970 posts, read 1,872,266 times
The numerous times I have been to So.Congress have been mixed.....sometimes busy, sometimes not. Sometimes, there are very little people there but everyone(worker-wise) is on break, so it still takes twice as long as it "should have." I have been there at various times during the day and can't say one specifically is better than the other. Don't know about the Lamar location.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:11 AM

45 posts, read 198,084 times
Default UPDATE: mission accomplished

Hi --

Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked for offices in surrounding areas, and many have been indefinitely closed (Elgin, Lockhart) so lesson #1 is that it pays to check the DMV website before heading out.

On a Tuesday I scouted Bastrop and arrived at the DMV office -- a little metal building -- about 12:15. One service rep, eight chairs and five people waiting. Not bad... and maybe that was the midday rush!

Later, at 2:00 I stopped at N. Lamar and was first surprised that I could park right by the office. Hmmm. I entered to check out the line and was greeted by the office manager, standing by the door with a clipboard. We chatted a bit (I told him I was scouting for my 88 year old Dad) and he was very helpful. When I noted I had waited nearly three hours in 2009, he said, "you came the wrong year! My staff has been tripled!"

His advice:
  1. do not come first thing in the morning. He always had 30-60 folks waiting for them to open
  2. Come Tues-Weds-Thursday.
  3. Early afternoon is generally good
  4. Do not come in August. Period. They are swamped by college students (out of state and foreign students needing TX licenses).
So on Thursday Dad and I went to N. Lamar about 1:45, and were in/out in 30 minutes. All the staff were very pleasant -- no signs of the grumpy burned out folks I dealt with in 2009.

Thanks, everyone!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:40 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Like the post office, I like to go about 30 minutes before closing time. It's amazing how quickly that line moves when the people who work there are dying to go home. Be carefuly though, if you need to take a field test- there might be an earlier closing time for those.
Ha! That has NEVER been my experience. I waited almost 4 hours a month ago around closing time. Yes, that would be 3 hours past closing. The lines did not move any faster after the front doors locked!

Glad you're getting some good tips on when to go.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I've been to the Georgetown office several times in the last 15 years and only once have I had a wait. It was the end of the month at lunch hour (silly me!), and I was there for about 45 minutes.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoid View Post
Ha! That has NEVER been my experience. I waited almost 4 hours a month ago around closing time. Yes, that would be 3 hours past closing. The lines did not move any faster after the front doors locked!

Glad you're getting some good tips on when to go.
Wow, that stinks. I've never had to wait more than 20 minutes after closing time!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:37 PM

91 posts, read 175,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASgeek View Post
Hi --

Thanks for all the suggestions. I checked for offices in surrounding areas, and many have been indefinitely closed (Elgin, Lockhart) so lesson #1 is that it pays to check the DMV website before heading out.

On a Tuesday I scouted Bastrop and arrived at the DMV office -- a little metal building -- about 12:15. One service rep, eight chairs and five people waiting. Not bad... and maybe that was the midday rush!

Later, at 2:00 I stopped at N. Lamar and was first surprised that I could park right by the office. Hmmm. I entered to check out the line and was greeted by the office manager, standing by the door with a clipboard. We chatted a bit (I told him I was scouting for my 88 year old Dad) and he was very helpful. When I noted I had waited nearly three hours in 2009, he said, "you came the wrong year! My staff has been tripled!"

His advice:
  1. do not come first thing in the morning. He always had 30-60 folks waiting for them to open
  2. Come Tues-Weds-Thursday.
  3. Early afternoon is generally good
  4. Do not come in August. Period. They are swamped by college students (out of state and foreign students needing TX licenses).
So on Thursday Dad and I went to N. Lamar about 1:45, and were in/out in 30 minutes. All the staff were very pleasant -- no signs of the grumpy burned out folks I dealt with in 2009.

Thanks, everyone!
That is good to know. I took my 15 year old to the North 183 office to get his learner's license last Friday and we waited almost 2.5 hours! Of course, I have waited longer than that at the North Lamar office (that was in August 2008). I guess there is some logic behind avoiding Fridays and the month of August, after all!

Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
I renewed my driver's license online. Took 5 minutes and I got the driver's license in the mail in a week. Works great, I didn't have to waste gas and I didn't have to wait in line nor go out in this heat.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:03 AM

71 posts, read 146,512 times
I have heard when it's raining, People don't don't go.

Of course if it rained right now I would just be standing outside feeling the miracle from the sky, not going to wait in a line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin