Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 12,584 times

Advertisements

I'm searching for privately owned properties which have either a guest house, a garage apartment, or attached studio apartment in urban Austin areas such as Hyde Park, Clarksville, downtown, Zilker, South Congress, etc. I'm not a college student, not interested in campus area. The quieter the better, but still near to downtown.

As I said in another thread someone posted about craigslist being full of 'agent' spam - I'm not interested in using an apartment headhunter. They spam you with tons of apartment complexes (which you could find on your own easily with a free apartment guide) and the rent rates get jacked so they get their bonus finder's fee.

I want to know if there are other ways (than a lucky 'for rent' sign drive-by find) to find private owner leased properties in Austin than craigslist, trulia, the backpage, padmapper, etc. etc.

I know this is a tough time of year (new college year start approaching) to be finding something, but that's what I'm stuck with.

Thanks for all suggestions in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 11:06 AM

45 posts, read 139,589 times
This is what I'm looking for too. I can't bear the idea of living in a big apartment complex! I'm looking in the areas around Austin though, even up to an hour away.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:28 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,013,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envie View Post
I'm searching for privately owned properties which have either a guest house, a garage apartment, or attached studio apartment in urban Austin areas such as Hyde Park, Clarksville, downtown, Zilker, South Congress, etc. I'm not a college student, not interested in campus area. The quieter the better, but still near to downtown.
These are hard to find and most of them never come on the open market.

Tenants tend to be long-term and often recommend their friends as tenants when they move out. Owners generally use word-of-mouth and neighborhood list serves to find new tenants. Such living situations do exist in Austin but you often need a personal connection to find them (and you must be prepared to move fast when they do come up). Without that, your best bet is to contact a realtor who specializes in the specific area where you want to live, a realtor can help you find privately owned properties for rent. (Note: not just anyone with a realtor's license -- you need someone who specializes in the exact neighborhood you want, who possibly lives there himself, and who has worked in the area for years and years. They will have the knowledge and contacts to help you.)

Good luck!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 12,584 times
Thanks for the reply, I kindof figured that was the way of it since I've been hunting for a few weeks and really not turned up much. The few I did find were snapped up very quickly, like you said. Even waiting more than 24 hours of the listing is too long apparently!

I do have someone in real estate willing to do searches for me in those area for private residential leased properties. I was just hoping there might be some secret 'locals only' type go-to site or classifieds that would yield better results than apartment hunters or craigslist. yuk.

I'll keep looking and be patient and faster on the draw when I see a good one!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:01 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,013,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envie View Post

I'll keep looking and be patient and faster on the draw when I see a good one!
Yes, you need to have your checkbook with you (or cash) when you first visit a property and do not delay if you are interested!

I have a friend who was standing on the lawn after looking at place in Zilker neighborhood hemming and hawing to the landlord when another car pulled up, guy got out and immediately handed over a check and said he wanted it without going in (probably knew the property already). You can't even wait 12 hours if you find a place you like.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:13 AM

81 posts, read 221,007 times
We rent out the backyard apartment behind our house in Pemberton Heights. I don't do much marketing but do occasionally use Craigslist. If anyone knows of another site for these types of listings I'd be interesting in knowing about it.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,665 times
Default Looking as well

Hello I just come across this thread and in the same boat...so to speak. I've got a wonderfully talented and super smart 26 month old son and I loathe those finders. All the same BS....I would feel alot safer being in a more private location. Any luck guys?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:28 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,319,085 times
Funny that this was just bumped. I was just asking the hubs the other day about this. I'm from Philly, and all the businesses have apartments above them. I asked him if that was the case with the businesses downtown. And neither of us has been able to find the answer.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 PM

100 posts, read 257,065 times
I haven't noticed many businesses w/ apartments over them here in Austin. You'll find some, but usually with newer apartment buildings that rent out the retail space to coffee shops/fitness stores/that type of place.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,348 times
Default Looking for backyard apt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCardinal View Post
We rent out the backyard apartment behind our house in Pemberton Heights. I don't do much marketing but do occasionally use Craigslist. If anyone knows of another site for these types of listings I'd be interesting in knowing about it.
I know this post is several years old but I am currently looking for something like this as soon as possible. Have not had a good experience with the kinds of people living in apartments and would rather find something more private and low key. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin