Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:00 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Tourists? Dude you must be drunk. Besides SXSW and ACL, what possible reason could anyone have to come to Austin besides get drunk on 6th street? Float on the rapidly sinking Lake Travis in the 100 degree heat? Count the pickups and Tahoes driving by?? Ok sir, time to sober up!!

And just for the record. California will ALWAYS be the place to be. There is no reason to live anywhere else. Sure, the economy sucks now, but do you really think the worlds 8th largest ecomony won't bounce back?? The moving to Texas "fad" will eventually come to an end.
if austin is as bad as you say it is, why does it seem you try very hard to convince people? none of us here are trying to convince people what is cool about austin... but you... boy. you write essays and whatnot. what's even more strange is that you throw in california and try to convince them california is where its at. i think it's the other way around... california has lost its fad. it may recover, but it will never get any better than it is. texas on the other hand has much room for improvement and its cities like austin that is telling texas is on a good direction.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
I think Austin is going through a "growth spurt." Just like Houston did in the '70s and Dallas did in the '80s......not that those cities aren't still growing, but "all of a sudden" people from all over the country / world were moving in.

I can remember coming to visit familly here back 15 - 16 years ago. We flew into the old "rinky dink" airport, and Austin was still a smallish town. At that time, my cousins lived in a (podunk) place I'd never heard of............Round Rock, and my Houston friends questioned why I would ever want to live in a small town, since I'm really a Big City girl.
Yeah, this is all it really is. Austin is going through its big growth spurt. It'll mature and slow down (though the metro should keep chugging). Austin is definitely one of the places to be in America right now.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:24 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Tourists? Dude you must be drunk. Besides SXSW and ACL, what possible reason could anyone have to come to Austin besides get drunk on 6th street? Float on the rapidly sinking Lake Travis in the 100 degree heat? Count the pickups and Tahoes driving by?? Ok sir, time to sober up!!

And just for the record. California will ALWAYS be the place to be. There is no reason to live anywhere else. Sure, the economy sucks now, but do you really think the worlds 8th largest ecomony won't bounce back?? The moving to Texas "fad" will eventually come to an end.
Het eep, don't scare off the tourists....just focus on discouraging the immigrants.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:13 PM

161 posts, read 385,314 times
Of course drunk tourists are going to profess their love of Austin. They're on vacation, having a great time and rubbing elbows with friendly locals. However, I fail see what tangible benefits (other than a lower cost of living, which is among the highest in Texas) that someone from NY, LA, or DC would gain from living in Austin.

Austin is a all but a foot print of those cities--an overgrown suburb with a few tall buildings in it's miniature central business district. If someone from NY or LA moved to Austin, they'd quickly become bored with the cities scant, laughable cultural avenues, its distinct lack of diversity, the much slower pace, and a prevalent slacker attitude. Not to mention a horrible infrastructure and mediocre at best culinary options.

What specifically does Austin offer that world class cities do not? Absolutely nothing. While I think Austin will continue to grow, I do not think the city can reasonably sustain a population over 1 million.

And what's with this mass desire to have more people move here about anyway? As if the neighborhoods in central Austin aren't overpriced as it is. An influx of Californians and New Yorkers will push already astronomically expensive central Austin real estate to prices never seen in Texas. Is that a good thing?

Frankly, I'll never understand what all the Austin hype is about.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
...However, I fail see what tangible benefits (other than a lower cost of living, which is among the highest in Texas) that someone from NY, LA, or DC would gain from living in Austin.

Austin is a all but a foot print of those cities--an overgrown suburb with a few tall buildings in it's miniature central business district. If someone from NY or LA moved to Austin, they'd quickly become bored with the cities scant, laughable cultural avenues, its distinct lack of diversity, the much slower pace, and a prevalent slacker attitude. Not to mention a horrible infrastructure and mediocre at best culinary options.
Despite agreeing with you on a certain level, I'd have to mention that I've met people who've moved from NYC, or LA to Austin and they love it just as much. Not everybody, but there are people who do actually love Austin. It's okay if you don't understand it, but many people do get tired of living in gigantic cities such as LA or NY.

Quote:
What specifically does Austin offer that world class cities do not? Absolutely nothing.
who said it did? Who said that is what is to love about Austin?

Quote:
While I think Austin will continue to grow, I do not think the city can reasonably sustain a population over 1 million.

And what's with this mass desire to have more people move here about anyway? As if the neighborhoods in central Austin aren't overpriced as it is. An influx of Californians and New Yorkers will push already astronomically expensive central Austin real estate to prices never seen in Texas. Is that a good thing?
I agree with this. Although I do see Austin growing at about 3 million in its metro and it will grow no further.

Quote:
No, you never will and rightfully so. Austin would never seem to fit in with close minded folks like you.

edit: I mean, this is really getting on my nerves. Nobody is saying that Austin is any better than San Francisco, LA, Las Vegas, NO, or NYC. There's just a good mix of people who have come to appreciate what Austin is. What's so wrong about that? Why is that overhyping? Why is it that its okay if Californians hype even a measly fast food burger place a la In-n-Out but when Texas says something great about one of their cities that is overhyping? like seriously what the hell?

Last edited by migol84; 07-17-2011 at 01:12 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Despite agreeing with you on a certain level, I'd have to mention that I've met people who've moved from NYC, or LA to Austin and they love it just as much. Not everybody, but there are people who do actually love Austin. It's okay if you don't understand it, but many people do get tired of living in gigantic cities such as LA or NY.

who said it did? Who said that is what is to love about Austin?

I agree with this. Although I do see Austin growing at about 3 million in its metro and it will grow no further.

No, you never will and rightfully so. Austin would never seem to fit in with close minded folks like you.

edit: I mean, this is really getting on my nerves. Nobody is saying that Austin is any better than San Francisco, LA, Las Vegas, NO, or NYC. There's just a good mix of people who have come to appreciate what Austin is. What's so wrong about that? Why is that overhyping? Why is it that its okay if Californians hype even a measly fast food burger place a la In-n-Out but when Texas says something great about one of their cities that is overhyping? like seriously what the hell?
What? People have been saying In-N-Out is too hyped since it opened here in Texas.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
What? People have been saying In-N-Out is too hyped since it opened here in Texas.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
You were saying why is it okay for people to hype In-N-Out, but people have been saying In-N-Out is overhyped for the longest time, especially now that it's open in Texas. My point is, no one gives Californians a pass.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:49 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
Of course drunk tourists are going to profess their love of Austin. They're on vacation, having a great time and rubbing elbows with friendly locals. However, I fail see what tangible benefits (other than a lower cost of living, which is among the highest in Texas) that someone from NY, LA, or DC would gain from living in Austin.

What specifically does Austin offer that world class cities do not? Absolutely nothing. While I think Austin will continue to grow, I do not think the city can reasonably sustain a population over 1 million.

do you know how many people have moved here from NYC who love it? Not that any of this matters, but lived in new york for quite some time and hardly ever heard anyone talk about LA.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:56 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Okay, folks, now that I've sobered up a bit, let me explain my post.

I met some people from DC that came here on vacation for the night club scene. Do you know how great the nightclub scene is there? And they came here to party? That is the sole reason they came here: to party? That says something about how great Austin is. Explain that. Also, they said everyone up in the northeast realizes how great Austin is. It is absolutely unbelieveable they say.

I met account reps, execs, and other high end people that said they are putting everything they have into Austin. There is only positives associated with Austin, no negatives, and they are putting their money where their mouth is.

Sure, some will say we are overhyped, but whether that's true or not, the fact remains that people want to visit here, want to live here, want all things Austin, deserved or undeserved that is the truth.

About the girls with bodyguards. Why would I be a jerk to beautiful women that are all over me? Does not compute. I liked it because they gave the okay to their bodyguard while the "unworthy" were kept at bay. That means I don't have to worry about competition I still can't figure out why they needed a bodyguard, but they were beautiful and there were many tools there so maybe they have the bodyguard as insurance.

You know sometimes when you see a trend in advance, that's what I saw last night. This is the tip of the iceberg. I happened to go over Congress Ave bridge when the bats were flying earlier last night. The bridge was 3 to 4 deep people the whole way across. When I used to watch the bats 5 years ago, there were maybe a handful of people on both sides of the bridge. Now there are professional photographers and others.

Will we surpass NYC like I originally said, well unlikely. However, we will be growing faster than the rest of the nation for some time to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin